iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Problem with my Stihl 034AV

Started by EnglishWoodsman, March 10, 2016, 02:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EnglishWoodsman

For some reason my chain has problems being pulled around when switched off, when I'm trying to sharpen it. It's not tough to go round, like it's tight, but it won't go at all, like it's jamming. There's nothing wrong with the chain brake and when switched on, the chain goes around fine. If I loosen the chain even a bit, then the chain sags off the bar, and I know it's too loose. The right "tightness" is when it starts refusing to move by hand. Any help? Thanks!

Texas-Jim

Check the cage bearing on the sprocket, and the sprocket. If sprocket is worn bad enough it can do that.

What we do in life echoes through eternity.

EnglishWoodsman

Hey, thanks for the reply.

The sprocket is new, fitted yesterday (I thought it might be the cause) and the needle cage is in good condition, having only been replaced a little before Christmas.

There is an issue with the chain tensioner, the cylindrical cog that pulls the guide bar pin back and forth appears to be narrower than the gap in the housing where the cog under the screw itself meets it, so it rocks back and forth. As such, the tightness is never completely secure. However, I can't understand why that would cause the chain to jam when I try and shift it when sharpening.

skooter

Is the chain on backwords It happens to the best of us.

HolmenTree

Check the guide  bar's sprocket nose tip. Might be seizing up or one of the tiny roller bearings popped out and is jammed between the bar rails.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

limbwood

are you sure its the correct size sprocket, 3/8 chain will bind up on .325 sprocket

EnglishWoodsman

Haha, I've only done that once (so far) when I first got the new chain! Thankfully that's not it.

EnglishWoodsman

This bar actually doesn't have a sprocket, my dad has just told me (technically his chainsaw but I use it more).

EnglishWoodsman

It was jamming on the old sprocket, which the chain, until recently, went around just fine.

HolmenTree

Ok so you have a new drive sprocket  (rim I'm sure) and a new chain. Check them again and let us know if they're both either .325 pitch or 3/8" pitch. Rim an chain have to match.

Now you did say the guide bar has no sprocket nose,  so it's a armor tip. These bars require the chain to be properly tensioned with a little sag in the chain. You don't tension them lightly  snug like you would on a sprocket nose bar.
I'm guessing that's your problem right there.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

EnglishWoodsman

Hey, thanks! Yes the sprocket was the same, 3/8ths.

The fact it is meant to be loose is enlightening. I was not aware of that nor have we been taught to be aware of this at college!

Texas-Jim

Did you throw the chain? Lot of times if chain comes off it can damage the drive links.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

EnglishWoodsman

Nah that hasn't happened, thankfully!

DelawhereJoe

Have you tried a different bar and chain on the saw yet perhaps the old bar has many burs on it that its hanging up or there could be a dent thats pinching the chain.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Thank You Sponsors!