iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mobile mechanic rates

Started by mike_belben, January 17, 2019, 04:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starmac

I am not sure I would like the allison, maybe ok if it has an overdrive, but the cummins would definately be an improvement over gas, both in performance and fuel savings. I have no problem with the divorced 205, those I had were stonger than the front ends anyway.

Is the pickup worth it, probably not as far as resale, but sometimes a guy has to work with what he has or can afford to come up with.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ken

Not really any mobile mechanics around here that I know of.  Some guys with portable welding setups but most forestry repair is done by the owner or the dealers mechanics.  I hate to call the dealers but if I can't figure something out quite quickly I get them on site asap.  Can't get downtime back.  I think the dealers charge $90-150/hr plus mileage so it adds up quick.  Good luck Mike with whatever you choose
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Cub

A good 460 with a c6 married transfer would be great. 4 speed standard would be better. Np 435 (I think) has the side plate on it to run a Pto off the trans if one so chooses. 460 will get ok gas mileage on hwy cruising. Town driving or puttering around back roads towing something heavy or just having a heavy foot mileage will go down fast. They are great engines tho. A diesel would be better with a standard trans or a good proven automatic. It's an 81? Is it a 1/2 ton? If it's 3/4 ton I'm amazed it doesn't have the 400 in it. Ford used those from 77-82. Same bolt pattern as 460. 400 is a good engine. Not a lot of power but good torque on the bottom end. I loved them. 4 barrel carb with a mild can upgrade n they were good. To put a 460 in a hole where there was a small block 351w might be a big pain in the tail. I transplanted a 460 in a hole where a 351m was in a 79 1/2 ton. It was a challenge but we got it. Was an awesome set up. Good mileage but couldn't keep tires on the back!!  :D

snowstorm

83 was the small block 351. i bought a new f250 in 84 that was the first year of the 351 ho. it came with a 4bbl holley different cam roller timeing chain. it went real well

mike_belben

Mines an 83 and itsngot 6 bolt valvecoves so at a glance that seemed to confirm what i was told, 351W.  I havent looked for tags.  I will hope its a 400M and that a 460 bolts up, i wouldnt hesitate in that case.  My fenders and inner fenders are cut, im sure i could fit a 460.  Part of me wants to weld the fenders and hood into a flip nose.. Ive hated going back to climbing up on the radiator of passenger truck after medium and heavy trucks.  Im not 17 anymore.

With 3.54s and 36" tires itd be fine with a 12v.  Its easy to click the governor flyweights up to run 3k on a p-pump.  I never had an allison and i dont think the 545 has a lockup.  Either way id need my shop here to build the mounts and especially the driveshafts.  Id fetch my dually and just overhaul a few things on that long before messing with this f250.   If its a 400 ill do a 460, other than that im just gonna use this truck up.  

What do people use for filler neck extensions?  Something fancy or just radiator hose?
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Ours were just hose we used on the flat beds built into service boxes. 

pineywoods

NEVER NEVER use radiator hose for anything gasoline. Gas hose is different. Doing so will cause untold grief later on.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

starmac

The difference between a 351 w and a 351 m or 400 is night and day, no way to mistake one for the other. The 351 is a small block, just has a higher deck than a 302, which makes the intake an 1 1/2 wider, and has the small valve  covers, the m and 400 are massive compared to them.

The space under the hood is the same, drops right in and has since 65 if you have the right motor mount stands, but will require the 4 wheel drive oilpan and dipstick.

300 i6, 302, 341w, 351 c, which looks more like a m size wise all have the same bell bolt pattern.
The 351 m, 400, 429 and 460 has the same bolt pattern and autos will interchange, except the torque converter from a 460 tranny will not fit in the crank of a 429. Using a standard the bellhousing bolt patterns are the same as a 460, but the depth is different and the will not interchange between a 460 and the 351m or 400.

With the way my service trucks were always loaded, 355 gears and 36 in tires would have been very doggy, even with 235 85 16's the 355's were pretty doggy, I preffered 410's, unless I was running long distances on the highway.

AZ_builder

Personally I I'd use as much metal pipe as you can, just attach it to the tank and filler with your exsisting hose. Safer if a rock or stick flips up on the back roads.

Cub

Yup your correct. For some reason I thought you said it's an 81. Had to look back and see you said it's an 83. 83 will definitely be the 351w. Sadly. 351/400m are still a small block. They were based off the 351c. Which was based off of what ford called Y blocks. Something about the crank center line and angles. The exact explanation escapes my frozen brain at the moment. 

Corley5

My Grandpa bought a brand new 1977 F250 Camper Special 2wd with a 351M and an auto tranny.  It didn't last 40,000 miles before the rods started to rattle.  He pulled it and went through it.  His rebuild didn't hold.  He was told later that Ford had a run of cranks that the machining was slightly off and he had one of them.  He pulled the V8 and auto tranny and transplanted a 300 6 with a 4 speed transmission and made a real truck out of it. ;D :) ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

barbender

The good ol' 300- love it or hate it, if you had one you might just as well get used to it because it was probably going to outlive you!😂
Too many irons in the fire

starmac

351 c was nothing like a y block,  y blocks came after flatheads and before the FE series, and were the 273,292 and 312 engines with 2 valve cover bolts in the center of the valve covers.

The cleveland engines looked more like the 351 m, except had the small block bellhousing pattern. Ford never called any of them a big block, but was closer in size to a 460 than a 302. I do not remember which it was, but either the c or m series had a wet intake, while the other one was dry too.

Cub

Yes starmac you are correct. My memory doesn't always serve me well. M's were a dry intake. They were prone to running a little extra warmer because of it. 351/400 replaced the ford ft (ford truck) engines. 360/390. 77 was the 1st year they put them in pick up trucks I believe. But I could be wrong. I think ford still made the 360/390 for industrial use for a little while after though. 1st year or maybe 2 M's were Prone to lifter valley cracking from the extra abuse of being in trucks I guess. Ford added extra webbing in the casting to resolve this 
When I was younger for fun we would junk out ford trucks with the 300 6 in them. For fun we would put a brick on the gas pedal and drink beer n wait to see when it would blow apart. We used to get sick of waiting. 

barbender

Cub, I've heard several stories from guys that finally got bored and gave up trying to kill a 300!😂
Too many irons in the fire

SwampDonkey

Re, with regards to some of the off topic comments. My father could listen to you guys all day and chuckle along with the words "What a Polus". Man I could just hear him now. My father only had grade 10, but he knew who Polus was. Never mind me, a fella needs to laugh sometimes about nothing. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Oliver05262

I have used milk pipeline tubing because it is stainless. Usually the filler neck is largely in the wheel well and prone to get rusted. NAPA has the fuel resistant hose you need. Hose clamps are stainless anyway.
Used to be a lot of small barns around here with at least part of the pipeline still there and farmers we resigned to the fact there would never be cows on their farm again. High junk prices and thieves have taken a lot of it away, though.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Corley5

The 300 6 I mentioned lasted many years and pulled/hauled many loads.  It outlived the truck body.  After it sat a couple days when it fired up the rods would rattle.  You could hear them quit as soon as it picked up oil. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

GRANITEstateMP

Mike, Gates makes a green stripe hose made for fuel tube. We used it in racing, it's not super flexible but works great and doesn't break down
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

starmac

Cub I am not 100 % sure what if any were called the ft series, perhaps the 331, 361 and the 391, which were the industrial engines base on the fe series, basically the same but with larger water pumps and at least larger bolts for all accessories , many if not all were governed too. used in medium trucks and some equipment also.

The FE serious consisted of the 352,360 390,406,410(merc) 427, and 428, all were used in cars except the 360, the 406 up was never a factory option in a pickup.
When it came time to sell a pickup of this era, all 360's magically turned into 390's, when most were in fact 360's and the 390 was never an option in a 4x4 at all for some reason.

mike_belben

Boy its enough confusion to make a guy stick with chevy. 
Praise The Lord

Cub

FE" derives from 'Ford-Edsel. Versions of the FE line designed for use in medium and heavy trucks and school buses from 1964 through 1978 were known as "FT," for 'Ford-Truck, and differed primarily by having steel (instead of nodular iron) crankshafts, larger crank snouts, smaller ports and valves, different distributor shafts, different water pumps and a greater use of iron for its parts.

I believe these would be the 360/390 ford used in trucks buses irrigation pumps and many other "industrial" places. The same exact engine used in cars but a few differences. 
Ford and all their specifics and options. Ugh. 
You are correct about the 360's magically turning into 390's. Saw lots of used 4x4 trucks in 1/2 ton to 1 ton that amazingly had the stock engine but were sold as having the much wanted 390. Must've figured they could get more money or would sell faster with the "390" in them.  :D  Either way both excellent engines in all their uses. 
My girlfriend has a 76 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 360. Excellent torque monster. Mild cam 4 barrel aluminum intake really wakes em up. 

sumday

I believe my favourite truck I've owned was my 68 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 360 and 4 speed. One of those wished I'd never sold it moments.

snowstorm

the f 650 750 had the 361 391 they did have a bigger crank shaft. the last of the big gas was 370  429 lima. or something like that. i had a 534 only for the few months to find out that was not the answer. yanked that out an put a 671 in. i bought a new f100 in 75 with a 360. it was a dog and at 52000 it broke a rod that poked thru the block and knocked the starter off. it was still running i drove it home. the state has sued ford over the problems with the 360. so the warranty was extended to i think 50k. the dealer said mine had to many miles

Thank You Sponsors!