iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clean Cherry Stump - Is it Worth Anything?

Started by NorthJersey, March 30, 2019, 09:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthJersey

I'm new to forestry and lumber. I'm feeling guilty about taking this thing to the dump. Is this stump actually something anyone reasonable would try to use?

NorthJersey

I'm in Sussex County, NJ. If anyone in the area wants this thing delivered free, let me know. We're heading out to the dump shortly.

twar

For future reference, one group that may be interested in this type of wood is knifemakers, especially if the grain pattern is nice. 

DDW_OR

If i was not 3,000 miles away i would take it.
then power wash it to remove bark, dirt and rocks.
then saw it up into 2 or 3 inch slabs to dry and then make into tables.
"let the machines do the work"

Brad_bb

I've played with a few big stumps before.  Not sure if what you have there has the root ball or not?  From the root ball I've taken a day to clean all the mud and rocks and trim the small roots back, pressure wash the ball til it's clean.  Then chainsaw out the curved large root feet shapes.  These are called knee braces that they used to use in ship building (oak).  They can be used for a number of projects, but it is labor intensive.  I'd prefer not to have any money in them due to the amount of work the get a few use-able pieces out of them.  If it's walnut, some will try to get gun stocks.  I've never done that, but I think you'd only get a few and you never know the quality until yo cut them.

If this is just the lower stumps, that is to say, cut at ground level, then it's worth it sometimes to mill the crotch, but you're not getting big pieces.  Small specialty sawyers will do it, but you can't have much in it.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!