iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber king M14 blade wobble

Started by Tom Caroselli, September 08, 2018, 08:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Caroselli

What causes the saw blade to wobble. Doesn't do it all the time

JB Griffin

Many, many, many things. Heat being one. And would be highly suspect. Is the saw dragging hard on the cant when returning the carriage?  Sun shining on the saw can do it to. Also the saw may be loose and need hammered. 
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

Don P

Especially when I throttle down between cuts mine can get what I assume are speed related harmonics from deceleration that start getting it wandering around. If I throttle it back up a little it usually stands up enough to get out of it.

If it creates heat in cut and lays over, as it cools it will flop back in, wobble around a bit, continue to cool, and stand back up. If you suspect that kind of problem shut down and feel the blade temperature from rim to collar.

Tom Caroselli

Thanks for the information, I'm new at this. What do u mean the saw needs hammered?

bandmiller2

Tom, stuff already mentioned also if the blade wobbles when your carriage is moving your ways/base may be shaking. It doesn't take much to cause the saw to wobble. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

JB Griffin

Quote from: Tom Caroselli on September 09, 2018, 01:01:32 AM
Thanks for the information, I'm new at this. What do u mean the saw needs hammered?

Saw blades are tensioned by hammering them. Tension is what makes the saw stand up and saw straight. The saws are hammered to run at a set rpm, yours being a belsaw most likely 540rpm. Running the saw too fast or too slow will cause it to wobble.

2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Got to mention that hammering a saw blade is not a task for novice sawyers. You need to locate and use an experienced "Saw Doctor" and hopefully part of the experience will be learning more about what's going on in a saw blade...

Good Luck!

Herb

moodnacreek

To start with the saw plate is not supposed to touch anything. Only the tooth cutting edge contacts wood. The tooth corners steer the saw or allow it to cut straight. to much corner on one side and the saw leans that way and the log/cant/board touches the plate and you have 3 problems all at once because of poor filing.   An experienced sawyer sees the saw line start to vary and looks for the trouble almost before it starts. This takes time to learn.  The above posts and many small things are all part of the circle sawmill.  It is very simple when it is working right.

jimparamedic

shiny spots on the saw plate indicates hot spots in the saw

Tom Caroselli

Thanks so much, you guys are awesome! I never knew there was so much involved in an old circle mill. I'm learning daily.

BUGGUTZ

Our engine club has a 56" on a steam mill. it tends to wobble in large wood. Usually indicates that the engine needs a bump to maintain the rpms for the blade.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

jimparamedic

Do you have pics of you sawmill and power set up. We love pics here

BUGGUTZ

Next time I am out there I will get some pics. It is pretty impressive. I run a belsaw creation at home, there used to be a couple pics on here but I dont know where they went.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Thank You Sponsors!