iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Persimmon question

Started by John Vander, October 08, 2014, 11:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Vander

A friend of mine asked me to help him cut a persimmon a while ago. He then insisted we take the wood home. It ended up at my place sitting there for some time now. Anyone here ever used presimmon as firewood? I'm not so sure if this will burn well. Advice please. ;D
Tree and saw accidents nullify years of forestry experience.

Southside

How big is the wood?  My understanding is that they grow very slowly.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

John Vander

This one about 30cm diameter. Was a big fellow for a persimmon at least.

Southside

Any idea how old it was?  We have a couple on the farm, one is maybe 6" diameter that i got a ripe fruit off of the other day - had to beat the cows to it - and the other is 14" or so.  I stuck the 3 seeds from that fruit in my tree nursery for giggles, will see what happens. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

giant splinter

I have actually milled some and the grain is nice with lots of detail, it is very dense material and makes nice trim as well as picture frames ..... i know he burned all the scraps in his fireplace but I never asked how it worked. I remember some of the branches where very twisted and the main part of the trunk would make some nice boards. I was told that the tree was called a Japanese persimmon.
Just got a reply on how it burns "slow and HOT" and is difficult to split.
roll with it

John Vander

No idea about it's age. Sorry.

John Vander

One thing about this wood though is that it is very heavy! The fruit is great too. There are two varieties of it here in Japan, the fruit being slightly different too. Some people dry it. Tastes great.

giant splinter

Its dried in a sun box, and tastes almost like a fruit candy.
roll with it

beenthere

Quote from: John Vander on October 08, 2014, 11:27:47 PM
A friend of mine asked me to help him cut a persimmon a while ago. He then insisted we take the wood home. It ended up at my place sitting there for some time now. Anyone here ever used presimmon as firewood? I'm not so sure if this will burn well. Advice please. ;D

Give it a try and see how well it burns.
Does "burn well" mean burns fast? or means burns hot? or burns with no sparks?

What do you have there in Japan to burn wood? Any wood burning regulations that you must follow?

Used to be the preferred wood that was used for golf club drivers.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

The make great wooden mallet heads; I use two around my mill. It seems like a waste to burn it although it probably would make good firewood since it is so dense.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

mesquite buckeye

If you are burning it, you are burning ebony.  :(

Heavy, hard strong. Likes to move when drying. Great to make axe handles.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Kcwoodbutcher

It burns great, very hot. I've cut several logs and the biggest problem I had was avoiding blue stain. In warm weather it seems to happen overnight. I've had it stain from the outside in and the inside out. It does move quite a bit when drying. The lumber can be polished to a high gloss because of the high density. There will be a black streak along the pith which looks like ebony.( it is a member of the ebony family).
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

One of the more common uses was golf club heads, called "woods.  Outstanding.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

I find it difficult to dry.  Beautiful, though. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

I have used it to smoke mullet on and they tasted really good.
Caveman
Caveman

Magicman

I once sawed several Persimmon logs for a guy for making pirogues. He wanted it 3/8".  I do not know how it worked out 'cause I just saws um and leaves um.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John Vander

By burning well I mean that the wood will make good coals with low smoke. Here in Japan there are no actual regulations as to what wood you want to use. Didn't know that persimmon is family of ebony. The tree that I cut was not in good shape. I think it will do well as firewood. A friend of my wife sent us some persimmons from Osaka city. Exellent!

Okrafarmer

It should make good firewood, by all accounts.

For woodworking, it is about as hard as black locust (pseudoacacia), and is a pain in all your body parts to dry properly-- I air dried some once and it twisted into the shape of a pretzel in just five days, if I remember right. Another guy told me that he or somebody else put some in a vacuum kiln and filled it tight to the top of the kiln hoping to keep it from moving. Guess what, the wood twisted anyway and broke the kiln open. At least that's what he said. I would like to get a nice huge one sometime and try quartersawing it to see what would happen.

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

pineywoods

I think the japanese species is a bit different from the north american, of which I saw a few. Mostly cut into 2X2X6 blanks for duck calls and pens. The figure and coloring will vary quite a bit fromm tree to tree. It does warp and twist while drying and is rather hard when dry. Some slabs from one I sawed last week..

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

mesquite buckeye

Cool. Nice when you get that nice, ebony heartwood. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

WDH

That one was a Hoss.  I get quite a few calls for it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

5quarter

Piney...Yeah, I'd like to get me some of that.  :o :o
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Okrafarmer

It's considered pulpwood around here.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

5quarter

Perhaps I can dump off a load of cottonwood in SC and pick up a load of persimmon...even trade.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Okrafarmer

A heaped load of cottonwood weighs a lot less than a heaped load of persimmon.  :-\

Thank You Sponsors!