iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Left overs

Started by metalspinner, October 25, 2007, 12:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metalspinner

As I sit here eating my lunch of left over spagetti sketti_1, I began to think about my favorate leftovers.  You know, food that is better the next day.
The top two things on my left over list is fried chicken and boiled crawfish.  Both have to come right out of the fridge and eaten cold. digin1

What's on our list?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

limbrat

Bream or a slice of beans.
ben

ohsoloco

Borsch is best eaten two or three days after it is made  :)

Norm

One of my favorites is leftover meatloaf sandwiches.

Dave Shepard

I love cold pizza, almost as much as when it's hot. Meatloaf is always good the second day, as well as spaghetti. Not to mention you don't have any prep time. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

I don't like leftovers at all!

Don_Papenburg

Rarly happens ,but I like leftover pumpkin pie.  home grown homemade pumpkin pie that is.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

woodbowl

Collard greens and lima beans taste better the next day. Chile and soup starts to get right about the 3rd day. My kids will fight over cold pizza. Thats why I try to get it first.  ;D

Ohooo ....... punkin pie!
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Mooseherder

Somethings are just better the next day. :)
Beef Stew, Corned Beef, Green Beans (or any Beans) for that matter, are just a few things that come to mind. ;D

Kcwoodbutcher

I my opinion borsch is best not eaten, sorry.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

sawguy21

My buddy's SIL makes a Polish borscht that is just the best,especially with a dollop of sour cream. Mmmm. My favorite left overs are chili and spaghetti sauce, seem to be better re heated and I can make them :D.
Mom would slice cold roast beef real thin and warm it up in the frying pan in it's own gravy. Now that was good eating.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Roxie

I think Meat Loaf is better as a leftover.

Cowboy Bob has a leftover favorite that is unlike anyone else I know.  He likes to order a hoagie (sub sandwich) and put it in the refrigerator overnight, and eat it cold the next day.  He says that the cheese softens from the oil and mayo, and the flavors "coagitate". 
Say when

fstedy

Quote from: Roxie on October 26, 2007, 08:14:36 AM

Cowboy Bob has a leftover favorite that is unlike anyone else I know.  He likes to order a hoagie (sub sandwich) and put it in the refrigerator overnight, and eat it cold the next day.  He says that the cheese softens from the oil and mayo, and the flavors "coagitate". 

I know that the oil sure cogitates into that wonderful bread and makes it soggy. Subs are the greatest but only when fresh MHO.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

beenthere

Maybe Roxie meant "coagulate"    ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Roxie

:D  No, I am directly quoting CB, who, by the way, took a few grammar lessons from DanG one year at Sawlex. 

Fstedy,  I agree with you about eating a hoagie fresh! 
Say when

Jodi

Quote from: Furby on October 25, 2007, 09:00:12 PM
I don't like leftovers at all!

Who doesn't like leftovers?  :o :)

pigman

When there are teenagers in the house there is no such thing as left overs. The frig even stays empty most of the time. Now that the wife and I are the only ones left, we eat the same thing at several meals, but I wouldn't call them left overs, just hasn't been eaten yet. :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

metalspinner

Hmmm...
Maybe if it tastes the same, it can be called "Not eaten yet."  If it's better or worse, then maybe it should be called leftovers. ;) :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ohsoloco

KC, you gotta be kidding.  Borsch is about as good as it gets, I think.  I guess there's several kinds.  My grandmother used to make borsch that was a clear beet soup, thickened with something...I couldn't eat it.  When I was in Russia, however, I had some that is basically a stew with meat stock, shredded beets and carrots, potatoes, shredded cabbage, meat, and anything else you happen to have in the fridge  ;)  After a few days the beets "pickle" everything, and it just tastes wonderful with a dollop of sour cream, and some fresh dill sprinkled on top  :)

Speaking of that, I have to check to see if the beets are still good, I gotta make me a batch  ;D

woodbowl

You've mentioned this twice now ohsoloco, so it must be purdy good. I'd try some if I knew what it was and how to fix it. What are they? How do you pronounce it? I've never heard of a borsch or a borscht. It sounds like you may be talking about bosch, those are some of the best spark plugs money can buy. Can you cook them on the grill? Do they taste like chicken?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

IL Bull

Ham & Beans and a fresh pan of corn bread 8) 8)
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

ohsoloco

I've only mentioned it twice  ???  :D  I must be slipping.  Pretty much described it in my last post.  Make a meat stock with whatever you have on hand (I've had it with chicken, beef, and ham stock).  Take the bones out and save the meat.  Peel and shred a couple beets, and shred them on a grater (the size that would make hash browns) along with some carrots and fry them in some butter for a while to soften them up.  Toss them into the stock & simmer for a while.  Toss in some cubed potatoes, shredded cabbage, meat, sliced kielbasa, and whatever else you feel like  ;)  I eat a little bit the first day, but it's best several days later.  Add the sour cream and fresh dill when it's in the bowl ready to eat.  I stir it up to incorporate the sour cream...that and the fresh dill really make the dish.

Dave Shepard

I agree with Cowboy Bob, I like fresh subs, but they only get better in the fridge. Well, at least for a day or two, then they start going the other way. ::) :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Furby

Thank You Sponsors!