iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Snowshoes, busted rawhide

Started by sbishop, February 09, 2009, 07:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbishop

Hi, i notice tonight after i got back from a snowshoe trip through the woods that i busted a section of raw hide at the back by the boot area. Anyone ever re-laced a set? is it hard to learn webbing?

Anyone know someone that does it?

I picked a up a new to me pair from a guy that never used them, they were in great shape but i think the raw hide is very dry.

Thanks
Sbishop

Reddog

Quote from: sbishop on February 09, 2009, 07:49:22 PMi think the raw hide is very dry.

That is the problem with raw hide, it is weak compared to nylon or the re-enforce rubber products used today.

I would switch them over to one of the newer products if you plan on using them a lot.
If staying with raw hide, varnish is your friend. When working on raw hide shoes we varnished the bottoms every weekend or sooner.
Crusty snow would cut them quickly.

isawlogs

I have done a pair or two .. do you have a clue how much rawhide is needed to lace a shoe .... ???

To fix them you could buy a rolled up dog chewy bone and let it soak in water a day or two , cut strips out of it and splice up your shoes and let dry then varnish the rawhide ...  Most problems with rawhide snowshoes is that not many reapply varnish to the hide ... it is what makes it waterproof .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

chevytaHOE5674

Aluminum and composite shoes for the win...

But yeah rawhide shoes need to be revarnished often to keep them from cracking.

moonhill

Nylon string.  There is a book on lacing snow shoes I think the name is something along the line of, Snow Walker.   I am not sure the exact name but it is an excellent book for what you are doing.   I will inquire with my brother who has the book and used the methods within.   

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

sbishop

isawlogs, 16 yards?

I'd liked to replace the rawhide with nylon. There is a book available at the local library but it's currently out.

The book is called "Building snowshoes" by Gil Gilpatrick

Id, really like to give it a try!

Sbishop

Ironwood

Coleman Surplus is a GREAT source for US military snowshoes and skiis. Look under "sporting goods" and check them out. Army snow shoes have Magneseium frames and plastic coated stainless wire.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

isawlogs

A 42 inche snowshoe will easily eat up close to 100 feet , between 90 and 100 ...

If you go with nylon , wich is good , go with braided nylon  ;)  Much more wear resistent .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

SwampDonkey

I went to ash frame (well was always ash before) with nylon lace (looks like whipper snapper twine) and cold resistant plastic (since it doesn't bust up in cold) where traditional webbing was used. I have had these for 3 winters. On crusty snow I have worn the boot straps out and easily replaced at Canadian Tire. I actually took the old nylon strap from my warn out rawhide shoes. I use these shoes a lot, not just 3 or 4 times a winter. Anywhere from 1.5 hours to 8 hours a day when I strap them on. I have seen aluminum framed shoes and everyone that had them says the frames bust up. Can't beat wood. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

My aluminum framed shoes get used 4-8 hours a day, 4 days a week in the winter. They are 5~6 years old and haven't broken anything on them.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Well mine walked to the north pole .  ;D

Marcel

sbishop

I was able to locate and old friend of the family that fixes snowshoes, i guess he uses cod line...it's a nylon line that they use for jigging cod.

i never notice but my buddy 2 pairs of snowshoes were done about 10 years ago and they are still going strong. So i should be good!!

Thanks guys!

Will let you known when i get them back!

Sbishop

moonhill

Sbishop listed the correct book. 

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

Thank You Sponsors!