iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My slice of the U.P.

Started by Jeff, June 08, 2015, 12:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

A guy from up where our property is in the U.P. has one of those quad copter cameras. He did a video of the things we see all the time up there, but from a different perspective than we are use to. Even though I've never flown over there areas, I've spent so much of my life there, I new each spot and felt like I had before.  Its a pretty good video. Makes me wish I had one of those things so I could put my own spin on my own videos.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

red oaks lumber

thats neat!! the wind was blowing pretty hard when he was flying over that house and the vidieo didn't even wiggle
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

fishpharmer

Thanks for sharing that Jeff.  I really like those aerial videos.  Like it better you can stand on the ground and shoot video from the sky.  Do you know if that footage is the 4K or 1080?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

No idea. I don't even know of I know the guy that took the video, I just know that he has been in the same spots I have. :D

Magicman

Jeff has a nice slice.  His love for the UP is understandable.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jmouton

thats a really cool video ,,     i love seeing the freighters  running  up and down the great lakes ,,,

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

OntarioAl

Wow!
I have spent a few thousand hours riding shotgun in helicopters lots of that at low level 500 to 1000 ft.) and folks the sensation is the same. A beautiful area and skillfully done video.
Al
Al Raman

justallan1

Very cool video, Jeff.
Just one more good reason to buy a Go-Pro.

coxy

that was neat  saw some parts of the US I never would have saw with out this forum         thanks for sharing jeff

Piston

Cool vid Jeff. 

The hard part about taking the video's is the editing part.  I've taken a lot of gopro vids but it's very time consuming to make them good video's through editing.  I assume it would be a lot quicker and easier if I was actually good at it  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

sandhills

Very nice, you definitely have beautiful country there!  What are the lines you can see under the water at about 2:20?  Probably a stupid question but I do have several guesses, thanks for sharing that.

fishpharmer

The DJI Phantom 3 as labeled on the video, I think comes with a camera built by DJI.  The reason, I am told is because GoPro is introducing their own quadcopter in 2016.  Although not waterproof the quality of the DJI camera video looks great!

This video really shows the quality of footage.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

beenthere

Quote from: sandhills on June 10, 2015, 12:49:59 PM
Very nice, you definitely have beautiful country there!  What are the lines you can see under the water at about 2:20?  Probably a stupid question but I do have several guesses, thanks for sharing that.

My guess would be sunken "treasure" boat.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Quote from: sandhills on June 10, 2015, 12:49:59 PM

I believe that is "The General" The General was a 97 foot tugboat built in 1889 and lost to a fire on April 7, 1930 off Frying Pan Island. She lies today in shallow water about 15 to 25 feet deep. The engine, boiler and major machinery were salvaged. What remains are the hull and some portions of the cabins. Near the stern is a very large steering quadrant that was connected to the vessel's steering wheel. This site is usually sheltered from inclement weather.

ON THE MAP

If you look just to the south of the wreck, you will see Frying Pan Island. Every 4th of July, the Village has a fireworks display set off on the Island. It is especially wonderful when the passage is calm and the sky overcast, and the fireworks reflect off the water.

Straight east is Drummond Island, and you will see the large Dolomite Quarry right there.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Opps, I was mistaken. That one in the video is not the General. That is the Sainte Marie, a former rail car ferry converted to a barge. You can tell because of the description that it is found partially above water level. A steel side wheel from another vessel, also above water, is adjacent to the Sainte Marie. You can clearly see the paddle wheel on google or from the shore. There are a LOT of wrecks in that area.

WmFritz

Quote from: Jeff on June 10, 2015, 02:54:41 PM
There are a LOT of wrecks in that area.

I've boated and fished that area quite a bit and it's no surprise to me of the number of wrecks there. Some of the boulders below the surface are the size of large homes and I'd bet they'd have TheCFarm drooling. The crystal clear water deceives how close to the surface they are.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Jeff

Yea, out around the Islands surrounding drummond its pretty amazing. I would imagine there is a fare share of small boats that those boulders bite then swallow on occasion.

thecfarm

WmFritz,I do not have to leave my land to spread my droll around.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: WmFritz on June 10, 2015, 04:38:31 PM
Quote from: Jeff on June 10, 2015, 02:54:41 PM
There are a LOT of wrecks in that area.
I've boated and fished that area quite a bit and it's no surprise to me of the number of wrecks there. Some of the boulders below the surface are the size of large homes and I'd bet they'd have TheCFarm drooling. The crystal clear water deceives how close to the surface they are.

I didn't realize that the Great Lake was so clear!  Nice to see.

I boated once on Lake Tahoe with my 18' aluminum Starcraft.  If anyone was watching me pull out, they probably would be laughing.  I'm pulling away from the dock and look down - it looks shallow so I go slow.  Then I see a big rock and swerve to miss it.  In reality, it probably was a bolder bigger than a truck about 50' down - looked like only a few inches down the water was so clear.  On the way back, I saw a fishing lure on the bottom and though I could scoop it up with my landing net -  :D I stuck it down in the water and realized it was WAY down there!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WmFritz

Quote from: thecfarm on June 10, 2015, 06:02:25 PM
WmFritz,I do not have to leave my land to spread my droll around.  ;D

Ray, your rock growing green thumb is legendary.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Peter Drouin

Looks a lot like NH with the clear water. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!