iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dos pregunta?

Started by JoeyLowe, April 16, 2002, 04:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeyLowe

;D  Una?: What is the going rate for rough cut oak lumber?  I have been contacted by a lumber yard who is wanting to buy 100 2x10x12 and 100 2x12x10 oak boards.  I have access to free oak logs that have been felled, bucked and stacked and have been on the ground about 8 weeks so there is no cost entailed in getting the logs.  I've been told that mill rates for oak is up around 40 cents a BF.  What does rough oak wholesale for?  Any ideas?

Dos?: Does anyone own or have used an extension bed for a Woodmizer LT40?  Are these things portable?  I have another order for 50 8x10x30' beams.  My mill only cuts to 21'. Woodmizer wants around $2500 for an extension.  Is it worth it?

Thanks ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Jeff

Our Mill in Michigan, Blocking Retail .40  all species. If you get in to specialty timbers that can go up. THe bigger the cut the more money, but usually stadard stuff like 2x whatever and stadard cants like 4 by 4 or 4 by 6 are all 400 MBF

Wholesale is very different.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

I'm sure the Arkansawyer can help you with info on the bed extension.  He just bought a WM extension a couple of weeks ago.  Unless I'm mistaken, you can't travel around with the extension attached. You have to level up the mill and then bolt it back on.

I've seen a couple for sale.  One was out on the Sawmill and Woodlot magazine "Classified" ads section on their web site.  A couple of others were out on TMS Sales.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Bud Man

The  order of 100  2"x12"x10' and 100  2"x10"x12' at $.40 plus freight is a $1,600 to put toward the $2500.00 new price.   The big order of 10,000bd.ft. even @ $.40 is $4,000 and maybe you can double or triple the $.40 cause of handling and size- thats maybe $8,000 or $12,000 more. $5,600 or $9,600 or $13,600  Sounds intriguing.  Really need to nail down price for 30' er's .  Would  have to shop and see what they would bring !!  Got my curiosity on what the 30'er's would bring.  14,000 bd./ft. of Oak, any mention of grade quality ?   This is all Greek to me  :P  but I'm curious to the outcome, especially the 30'er's.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

woodmills1

some thoughts, have you stopped to think of the size of the tree needed to make an 8x10x30? and then there is the weight over 1500 pounds each.  I bring this up so you don't under price, then find out you are busting for nothin.

I get the hardwood market report every week, it lists lumber prices for green and dry for the east coast, by sampling many sawmils on a weekly basis.  It is a little pricey but well worth it to help with you decisions to establish prices. http://www.hmr.com

this week it lists 8/4 green red oak at 1160 for fas to 960 for #1c 8/4 isnt listed below 1c  thinner goes to 2a at 600 and 3a at 385  these are all per thousand prices

my last job I cut post and beam in red oak at 800/thousand  80 cents per bd ft  and while i made good money on 12 foot and shorter and on 4x6 4x4 i feel like i was chasing for the 8x8 esp. the 18 foot 8x8

around here i couldnt even but red oak logs for 40 cents
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

We sale a lot of what I call farm lumber - fencing, stall, pole barn framing, etc.  It's all oak because we've got no pine here.  Because many of our customers do not know pricing by the board feet, we have a grid chart I made up on Excel for the most common sizes.  1x6x8 thru 2x12x16'.   The price per board for 1x6x8' starts out at about our log cost + sawing cost.  Then we add a nickel a board foot for each 2 feet longer in length.  We add another nickel a board foot for each 2" wider in width.  So by the time you get to a 2x12x16' board, it's about twice the price per board foot than the 1x6 price.

Then when a customer calls and what's the price of 10 2x6s-12',  we can just look at the chart and tell him how much per board or easily multiply it by the cost per board.

Using the .40/bf mentioned as a base price,  for a 2x12x10',  I would charge .70/bf. - at the mill.  For a 2x10x12' I would charge .65/bf - at the mill.

The point I'm trying to make is:  The longer and wider a board is,  the more difficult it is to find a good log to saw it from.  More chances there is a major defect somewhere that will require it to be cut down to something shorter or edged to something nearer.  We'll have to pay twice as much per board foot for a 16' oak log that will make 2x12s as we will an 8' log that will make 1x6s.  Also,  that 16' log is most likely a butt cut log and may be more valuable cutting into two 8' logs and making grade lumber out of the butt log and common lumber out of the top log.  So if you cut it into 2x12x16' boards, you got to get a lot out of it else you are loosing money.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!