iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw would not start when its cold!!

Started by minesmoria, January 17, 2005, 04:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

I have stihl 044 and when it got cold out 10f the saw would not start i pulled the starter rope and about half way it would yank back could not get it to start.

I had are new starter and rewind spring thinking that was the problem but it was not still no luck.

Now the temperature has gone up to 50f and it started on the second pull no problem easy.

So what would cause it not to start when its cold out.

I also have a husky 55 which i had to use instead it started fine.

Tom

It's probably a Southern Chainsaw.  Take it to Florida and it'll work fine. :D

Dean Hylton

What mix are you running? A mix thicker than 50:1 will make it harder to start. Also make sure you are running a premium  high octane fuel and if possible try to find a station that is not running  a lot of toluene in their gas. I got into some discussions else were and started doing some research on the matter; it seams that toluene although a good octane booster has a problem vaporizing, with cold temperatures worsening the condition. A hotter plug may help as well. Be careful though because a saw with high compression; you can blow a hole throught the piston.

Kevin

I can't even make something up to answer this one.  :D

beenthere

I'd say it just has good compression. Just keep it warmer, pull harder, and hang on, IMO.  There is no compression release on that saw, I don't believe. Try not to let it set in the cold, but keep in inside before you go out, and you might find it is easier to pull.
I think the saw will still start. My 041 can kick back like that, but I don't leave it set out in 10° F and give it the chance to kick me (rip the rope out of my hand).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

minesmoria

QuoteI'd say it just has good compression. Just keep it warmer, pull harder, and hang on, IMO.  There is no compression release on that saw, I don't believe. Try not to let it set in the cold, but keep in inside before you go out, and you might find it is easier to pull.
I think the saw will still start. My 041 can kick back like that, but I don't leave it set out in 10° F and give it the chance to kick me (rip the rope out of my hand).

Yes thats what it would do rope would almost rip my hand off , kick back big time strange how it works fine in warm weather.

Kevin

10oF isn't all that cold for saws up here, that's about -12o Celsius which I would consider to be a good working temperature.
-10 to -5C is about perfect.

Bernhard

Take a look at the carb hood...there´s a inlet for summer and winter work....if You have the inlet for summer work opend close it and open the winter inlet

Kevin

I think that's just for blowing snow conditions.

beenthere

Also, appears to draw warm air from across the cylinder, which would mean it functions 'after' the saw is running and warmed up. My MS361 has this option and the saw runs better in the cold (0° F). No effect when starting the engine cold however.
I imagine it does help when there is blowing snow too, as Kevin suggests. Cuts down on the moisture brought into the intake.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!