iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

This mild spell and some bare patches have brought some robins north. Yup, my eyes weren't deceiving me, I saw a robin. It was making robin chirps and flying short distances ahead of me along the road as I walked this afternoon. It's not out of the ordinary, as I've seen them in mild winters here before. I was wishing I had my camera but it would be hard to get a discernable picture of such a small bird at 200 feet away.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bitternut

Here is the tenant of large bird house I make for kestrel's, owl's, woodpeckers, etc. I have this one mounted in a sugar maple in my yard. Every winter one of these little screech owls moves in. I never see them in the summer but most of the winter and spring they will be in it. They like to sit with their head sticking out of the hole in late afternoon. Just after dark they will come out and sit on a limb next to the house for a while. All of a sudden they will be gone and you won't see him again till the next afternoon when he sticks his head out again. I notice blue jay feathers on the ground once in a while. I think they like them. I have a picture to go with this post but have been unable to attach it for some reason. Help please.

SwampDonkey

Bitternut,

The picture posting is down for awhile untill the big guy gets the new improved version implemented. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

bitternut

I got my owl's picture posted but now there is a funny looking leprechon with a red nose sitting on the roof of the birdhouse. How the heck did that happen? Well at least I was able to get a picture posted.

Furby

Bitternut,
After seeing your pic, I was wondering if you would have some plans or atleast the measurements for one of them houses?
Or does anyone know a good place for free plans?

Gonna be building a pile of bird and bat houses in a coule of weeks, and would like to build a few different kinds.

bitternut

Yes I have some plans around here someplace. I will dig them out later today when I get a chance. I have another publication that I picked up some place that has the specifications for different kinds of birds. I will see what I can find. I make a house scaled down from the owl house that I put up for bluebirds. They get used by a variety of birds. I get wrens, tree swallows, chickadees, titmice, nuthatches and of course bluebirds. It all depends on where you locate them. I also get deer mice, red squirrels and flying squirrels.

sherwood

Pain in life is mandatory. Suffering is optional.

bitternut

Well Furby I looked high and low and could not find the plans. Guess its a sign that you have too much crap when you can't find things when you want them. Well I did the next best thing and took some measurements off one of my boxes. I used green rough sawed hemlock lumber in nominal sizes. The material can be most any wood that is available in your local that will survive the weather reasonably well. Hemlock is a good choice in my area and is long lasting without any finish.

Material for one house is as follows:

one piece of 1x8x42
one piece of 1x10x36
one piece of 1x12x12

The two sides are cut 1x10x16-1/4x18
The rear is cut 1x8x18
The front is cut 1x8x15-3/4
The bottom is cut 1x8x8
The top is cut 1x12x12

The hole is 3" diameter and is placed 12" up from the bottom on center of the width. The top is placed flush with the rear of the box and overhangs the front 2" and 1" on each side. The bottom should be lined up so that the grain runs the same direction as the back piece and the front. That way the pieces will be parallel. The four corners of the bottom should be nipped off about 3/4" x 45deg's so that there is good drainage. The front should be lined up flush at the bottom with about 1/2" gap at the top for ventilation. You can nail or screw the whole assembly together to suit. Do not fasten the front though. You may have to trim the width of the front so that it will move freely in the assembled box. The front is made so that it pivots for inspection and cleaning. To do this place the front flush at the bottom and place a 2" galvanized roofing nail about 11" up from the bottom through the side pieces into the front. These are the hinges or pivots for the front. I usually clamp the front piece in position and predrill a pilot hole for the nails. I use a drill a few thousandths larger than the nails so that they won't bind in the side pieces. Drill only 1/8" or 1/4" into the front piece so that the pivot nails will be firm in the front piece. Then I take and drill a hole 1/32" larger that the roofing nails about 2" up from the bottom through the sides into the front piece. Drill this hole at a downward angle so that when the nail is in place it will not fall out. This nail is the latch that keeps the front panel closed. I usually place a couple handsfull of wood chips in the box. I also either notch the top of the side panels or drill some holes to get more ventilation. I had one of these boxes taken over by a wren a couple of years ago. Took him all summer to fill it up with sticks. Hope this is what you are looking for Furby. Good luck with your construction.

Furby

Thanks guys!!!

Bitternut, that's waaaaay above what I needed, but ya made it easy on me, Thank YOU! ;)

I'm planning to use some aspen for this first batch. Don't really care if it don't last that long. Only cost involved is my time and some gas for hauling and cutting.
Just want to get some up, as I don't have any in my yard. A purple martin house has been on my list for many years. Actually, I have a whole pile of requests for them, just got to get around to making one.

crtreedude

Let's see - what do I have outside my backdoor?

Ora Pendulas - weirdest call you have ever heard - Hey Jeff, can I upload sound here?
Tucans
Gaviilon Blanco - The locals call them eagles - pure white with black on the tips of the pinion feathers.
Sargent Birds
Some weird looking humming birds
Vultures
Cattle Egrets

Oh, and yesterday I saw a troup of Howler monkeys in the back moving through the trees, with a bunch of babies - I hear them all the time, but this is the first time I have seen them. According to Hector we have about 3 troups on the finca.

P.S. If anyone is confused - just look where I live.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

sprucebunny

A bird WAS here.... ;D

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

sprucebunny

Saw this bird looking out over the river. It's about 30inches tall
Think it's an eagle that needs a good brushing ;D
What do you think ???

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

biglake

Maybe his diet? We had a Bald Eagle a few years back that just sat on the ground and couldn't fly. He was brought to one of those places they take care of sick birds, but he was too far gone to save. They thought he might have been suffering/died from malnutrition. Can't quite figure that one out, unless they just get too old and feeble to catch anything.
Fairly heavy snow cover +125" so far - feeding 2 Doves, 4 Bluejays, ? Chickadees, 1 Grey Squirrrel and 1 Red Squirrel that's pretty sure that he/she is the Boss. :)
What You Don't Got - You Don't Need !

Trust em, if They Promise to Use Good Judgement Instead of Common Sense !

SwampDonkey

Yup, looks like an immature bald eagle, hasn't got his white feathers yet. Their first year is the harshest. They start nesting here in February also.

Ianab

Lil's mission to convert her pre-school into a zoo continues  ;) :D

This is Bubbles the Lorikeet
She is living here for weekends as they like company and wouldn't like weekends alone.

The Aussie members probably know them and consider them a pest, but they do make good pets.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Furby

That sure is a colorful bird! Are they related to parrots?
Reminds me just a bit of superman ice cream.
Oh man, now I'm hungry! ::)

Ianab

yup Furby, they are a small type of parrot from Australia
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Bubbles the Lorikeet aparantly need a perch to sit on.  ;)
Had to be tall enough to keep her away from the rug rats etc.

No Problemo

A couple of Bluegum Eucalyptus boards from the shed, a plan on a bit of note paper and some gorilla glue and it's done.

SwampDonkey

Looks like the little guy has taken a liken to his new perch. He sure is colorful. :)

Just don't hang yer cap there or it might get a new ornament. ;D

Ernie

Ian

We've got a couple of birds that look quite like that one on Lil's shoulder, I haven't got a good look at them yet, too fast, just a flash of green, also, my eyesight's not the best.  We have the usual collection of
tui's
wood pigeons
fan tails
more porks
shining cuckoo's
bell birds
king fishers  good for telling me where the shoals of whitebait are
Paradise ducks
mallards
pukekos
magpies  seem to be chasing away the fantails
for years we had a kiwi that would poke holes in the lawn but we haven't even hear it now for a while.  Too many wild cats I think they might have got him
The usual
sparrows
thrushes
blackbirds

There are probably more, I'll ask Jan when she gets home from work.

Ernie

A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ianab

Hi Ernie

This is probably the parrot you see around the farm, Kakariki

http://www.parrot.co.nz/Parrot.NZ.articles/article-kakariki.html

Similar size to Lils lorikeet and fairly common in some parts of the country.

Ernie

Thanks  Ian

I didn't even know they existed, it's good to have a Kiwi ornithologist on the forum.

Ernie
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

KiwiCharlie

Ian,
Isnt your house guest what we would call a rosella?  Aussie import, pest round my parts.  Never seen one sitting still, close enough to know for sure if its like yours.  They make a hua of a racket when flying.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Ianab

Charlie
It'S a Rainbow Lorikeet, but I think it's a close relative of the Rosellas.
It's habits sound the same anyway  :D

I think both species have escaped and are breeding in some parts of the country, most likely Northland  ;)

Ian

KiwiCharlie

Hi Ian,
Definitely Northland!  :D  They are on DoC's wanted list.  Or should I say, their "Unwanted Organisms" list.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Thank You Sponsors!