iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Entry Door

Started by Norm, January 11, 2003, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

My wife and I just hung the entry door for our house. The open panels are for beveled glass. Does anyone have suggestions how to install this glass so it doesn't crack with the seasonal wood movement. The glass is 1/4" beveled tempered glass and the wood is 1 3/4" thick. I'm going to use decorative trim around it but I'm afraid it I get the glass too tight to the frame it will crack when the wood expands in the summer humidity.

ADfields

I would think just give it some room on top.   I have 3 factorey made doors like that (not that thick just 5/4) and thats all thay did, about 1/4" on top and 1/8 sides none on bottom.   It wont get pinched on the sids as the end grain of the styles will not let it push in on it.   The seasonal wood movement I would think will make the outside push into the jam not into the glass.   Just what I see but I'm no carpenter eather.
Andy

WV_hillbilly

Norm ,

I think that Rocklers or Woodcraft sells little round rubber balls that take care of that seasonal movement. They are made for raised panel doors but I cannot see why they wouldn't for your door.

Hillbilly
Hillbilly

splinters

if you don't want to wait for your mail order for hte spaceballs, thats what they call 'em, you can use ereasers from pencils. pull them out and lay them on their sides. I've used ereasers long before I heard about a commercial product.

Don P

My glass company had "setting blocks" of some type of rubber too.

Norm

Thanks for the ideas, I'll check out the spaceballs. The glass company I contacted for cutting the glass was of little help, I think I need to get out the yellow pages and see if some other glass companies have the setting blocks.

LumberJack

Norm,
Depending on the depth of your glass stops(probably 1/2" min.) I would figure 1/8" to 3/16" per side.  As suggested earlier set it on some setting pads (hard rubber, strips of lead, or some soft wood like cedar or pine).  I lieu of those rubber balls, just use a few dabs of silicone, about 2"-3" in from each corner.  Nail on your stops while the silicone is "wet" and your all set.

LumberJack.

johncinquo

I built a new door for my cottage about 6 years ago, will have to take a snap and get posted.  My glass was smaller, but same idea.  I used a good silicone sealer that has plenty flexibilty.  I had a groove about 3/4" all the way around and just doped it up with the silicone.  It has not leaked water in, or cracked in any way.  I did it that way after talking with a glass company.   JB  
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!