iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dressing for cold weather.

Started by plasticweld, January 09, 2011, 01:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticweld

I am sure there are lots of tricks out there for keeping warm and dry in cold weather. The change in technology in clothing has changed over the last 30 years.
  Gore-Tex is probably the biggest change. I now where Gore-Tex pants and have Gore-Tex boots to keep me dry. Years ago the only secret I had to keep warm were the shirts my wife used to make out of old army blankets that were washed and then put in the drier a couple of times to shrink, she would then sew the material in to shirts for me. They would repel water protect me from the wind

I am sure there must be ways that you guys have figured out to keep comfortable in the cold.  I still have not found gloves that work, "wear well and keep you warm" or a hard hat liner that is warm enough to keep you warm in the morning but not have you sweating at 9 am.

Pass on your trade secrets I am sure others here could benefit ..Bob

fuzzybear

Having broken all my fingers various times in my life, my hand are the hardest thing to keep warm. The only thing I have found are double moose hide mitts. They will keep my hand warm at -50 with no problem. They are flexable enough to use with the saw and they pull off easy enough and go back on fast.  I usually get 2 seasons out of a pair of mitts.

For under a hard hat I always had a "Mounty" style hat made with moose hide.  great in extreme cold but at only -20c you need something lighter.
  Layers, lots and lots of layers. It's the only way to work in the cold.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

barbender

As far as hardhat liners, I wear thin "balaclavas" that are made for under snowmobile helmets. These are the thin ones, not the thick polar fleece units. They are made out of a stretchy polyester material, it keeps my head and neck warm because it is form fitting and stops the drafts. If it is -10°F and the wind is blowing, my neck might start to get cold, but usually I find something to do inside if it's that nasty out. Another nice thing with these is you can pull it over your head and just wear it on your neck if you get too warm. As far as gloves, I always just wear the Kinco cold weather work gloves. I got tired of spending $50 on a pair of nice Gore-tex gloves and having them not hold up. The Kinco's are $9, are pretty warm, and thick enough to protect my hands. They do soak up water though. I'm into the layers, too. I wear long johns, jean's and then my saw chap's. If I get cold I put on a pair of nylon ski pants, it keeps of the wind. Anything thicker doesn't work under the saw chaps. Upper body, long johns, t shirt, a long sleeved t shirt, and a hanes sweater. As long as I am in motion, I't doesn't take me much to stay warm. I have strategically placed layers of insulating fat on areas of my body for the purpose of cold weather comfort :D I know I was a lot colder all the time when I weighed 175 lbs versus the 275 I am now running at. If I am going to be on a machine in the cold, I wear a pair of Carharrt extreme bibs, the ones that are made out of Cordura, and a heavy Carharrt jacket as well.
Too many irons in the fire

CX3

Under armour and a good thermos full of coffee :D
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

bill m

Barbender is right - Kinco cold weather gloves and for a helmet liner I wear one made for under a bicycle helmet. Thin enough so it doesn't interfere with the ear muffs and wicks moisture away from my head so I stay warm.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Tom

The coffee idea is a must.  I like to wear a T-shirt, some long pants and socks too.  It keeps the direct heat from the fireplace from burning my legs or my feet, when I let the recliner back. 

Some folks go outside and have to put on more, but I don't do that.  :)

Kevin

It's always a good idea to have lots of firewood on hand when it dips down into the eighties eh Tom?  :D

Phorester

Very good Tom. I'm still laughing at that one.  I remember last January when we visited y'all that it must've got down to 60 degrees at night. Don't know how you stood it.  Oh that's right, the coffee.

Tom_Averwater

I've been wearing polyester fleece ,it keeps me a lot warmer .Poly long johns too .No more cotton . Now is the time to buy winter clothes, the dept. Stores are discounting clothes getting ready for spring .
He who dies with the most toys wins .

trapper

I go to the target store to buy the merino wool sweaters to wear as underwear tops when they are 75% off and sportsman guide bib underwear.  I need the suspenders on the bib underwear as the regular bottoms dont work well on a basketball. ::)
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

WildDog

Plasticweld I used to put an old wool army blanket (Aus) sowed down one side and across the bottom, inside my swag.

I like the woollen Swandree shirt/jackets in Blue/Bl, Red/Bl check from New Zealand. Wool is good, stays warm when wet and is fire retardent and helps the Merino graziers.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

celliott

Polypropylene baselayer, or equivalent, top and bottom, lightweight liner socks, thick wool socks, duofold shirt, wool shirts, wool pants, could throw in a fleece layer as well. Very important thing is no cotton cotton is rotten. All those other materials will wick sweat, and keep you warm if you are wet.  If you get too warm and begin to sweat, take a layer off. If its too cold, put another on. I have always found it easier to warm up than to cool down. 
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SwampDonkey

Standfield's wool from top to bottom and layers on top. I guarantee if your working a good pace, layers will have to be removed.  Water likes to leek out of me everywhere.  ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ChrisF

Heated handles!

I will never own a worksaw without it as long as I work falling trees. Plain and simple.
Jred 2171WH
Husky 242XP

Ironwood

For general standing (at annual mid winter auction) loose comfortable sweats under a Carhart Extreme (light weight black cordura) coverall w/ hood and Sorrel pac boots.

As for gloves, the two glove layer systems for serious winter play (ice climbing, mountaineering, etc) are hard to beat. You can even swap out the inner liner w/ a pair you keep warm and dry inside your coveralls (I keep them on each shoulder) until needed. Brands like OR (Outdoor Research, and other high end at outdoor stores) are the ticket.

Ironwood 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

NB sawdust

I'm with swamp donkey on the standfields . Has to be pretty cold for them not to keep you cozy! A big thing for me is putting on dry socks at snacktime , if my feet are cold I am cold. For gloves I wear normal insulated work gloves , but always wear the thin white gloves underneath "liners " I call them . They keep my hands warm when I need to take the big bulky gloves off to use my fingers . The most important trick for me is to spray my gloves with the stuff you spray your work boots with , the more the better. Otherwise they suck up water like a sponge.

DonT

I am going to second,the heated handles suggestion,as well keep the wrists covered,exposed wrists allow blood to cool even before it reaches your hands and fingers.I like the heli hansen Pro-wool.I even have a poly pro-wool thin hat for under my helmet.Oh did i mention i like my heated handles.

HolmenTree

Fellas it depends what you define cold. Here in Manitoba , Minnesota and the Dakotas south of here when its cold gloves aren't warm enough.
Its leather trigger finger mitts and wool liners, along with wool hardhat liner and wool union suit and thats just for starters. :D

Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ed_K

I 3rd the heated handles,no saw will be bought without XPG.I use chore gloves till it's 0 or minus wind chill,then I get the kinko's out.Light helmet liner,or bandana.I use carhart bibs with chap liners snapped into the thighs and legs.insulated hoods over the bibs.Usually I'm out of the hoods in an hour of pulling the 576xpg of the tractor.
If you wear bibs during huntin season,make sure you have a reflective vest on  ;D .
Ed K

mad murdock

wool is the best thing for cold weather.  I suppose gore-tex works, but wool is the way I go, and layer it, so as you work, you can adjust accordingly, and keep from getting "cold-soaked".  Leather mitts with wool liners are what we used to use in the cold north. The problem here in the Pac NW, is staying dry!  The Filson tin coat does the job in that dept.  If you can afford it, Filson all the way, it is tought to beat.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Tom

I don't know how you guys up there stand it.   Charlie came down from Wisconsin and visited with me for a day and two nights last week and I didn't get the phone call telling me he was coming until yesterday.  Phone lines must have gotten frozen.

SwampDonkey

I never liked Gore-Tex and I've had a lot of garments with it. Never did what it advertised. It was not tested, I assume, in the rains of the PNW rain forests.  :D Wool is my friend and I used to wear a double lined nylon rain pants and coat out west.  ;D Others were freezing to death with the synthetic stuff and building fires all day, I was always toasty and could sleep if need be in my outfit. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nhlogga

The only part of me that I have a hard time keeping warm is my feet. They sweat terribly. Bare feet under a thin sheet at home they sweat. As long as I am constantly moving my feet stay warm. What works best for me is 2 pairs of heavy wool socks and my Hoffman pac boots. I have tried all the" wick a way" socks. They don't work. I get most of my cold weather gear at an Army surplus store.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Just Me

Quote from: celliott on January 10, 2011, 05:40:31 AM
Polypropylene baselayer, or equivalent, top and bottom, lightweight liner socks, thick wool socks, duofold shirt, wool shirts, wool pants, could throw in a fleece layer as well. Very important thing is no cotton cotton is rotten. All those other materials will wick sweat, and keep you warm if you are wet.  If you get too warm and begin to sweat, take a layer off. If its too cold, put another on. I have always found it easier to warm up than to cool down.  

Ditto for me. I use a CoolMax base layer with a kneehigh pair of support socks under wool socks, then duofold layer, and build up from there depending on conditions.

There is a saying that is easier to remember and more to the point in regards to cotton:

"Cotton Kills!"

Got that from a climber friend of mine and it sticks and drives home the point. I never have cotton for the first two layers.

The best socks I have found are Wigwam Ultimax. They are a wool/synthetic blend that wicks moisture away from your foot, and they wear like iron. I wear them every day winter and summer, bought ten pair about six years ago and have yet to wear a hole in one. Ten bucks a pair but worth it.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Just Me on January 11, 2011, 07:24:07 AM
The best socks I have found are Wigwam Ultimax. They are a wool/synthetic blend that wicks moisture away from your foot, and they wear like iron. I wear them every day winter and summer, bought ten pair about six years ago and have yet to wear a hole in one. Ten bucks a pair but worth it.

I like them to, and also wear them year round. But, I'll show you how to wear out a sock. :D

Yep, Wigwams. Oh let's see, good for about a year maybe or 100 acres of thinning. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!