iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular sawmill identification and value?

Started by Case1030, March 15, 2019, 03:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Case1030

Mill comes with both a summer and winter 50inch blade. 22 foot table and 1000pto. Blades were recently taken into a professional shop to get straightened out. 

Axles welded to frame for transportation.

I'm trying to figure out value and identification. Mill is 4 hours away and im going to look at it tomorrow. The more I know the better.

I also have the equipment to load and power the sawmill. 

Case1030

Here are a few more pictures. Mill is apparently is working order.

50 inch blade is off the unit.

moodnacreek

A lot of home made contraptions there. My sawmill is like this and if done well , better than original. Don't know the make but what does it matter, unless it's a frick or meadows, parts have to be made when needed. It's all about the mandrel condition on these circle mills. Bad collars, bad bearings making just a little heat and the saw will not perform. Changing bearings can turn into trouble if the shaft is a wee bit undersize where the bearing mounts. With out running it for hours you won't know. I would not pay over $2500 unless I could run it.

Case1030

Quote from: moodnacreek on March 15, 2019, 08:43:26 PM
A lot of home made contraptions there. My sawmill is like this and if done well , better than original. Don't know the make but what does it matter, unless it's a frick or meadows, parts have to be made when needed. It's all about the mandrel condition on these circle mills. Bad collars, bad bearings making just a little heat and the saw will not perform. Changing bearings can turn into trouble if the shaft is a wee bit undersize where the bearing mounts. With out running it for hours you won't know. I would not pay over $2500 unless I could run it.
Thanks for the reply moodnacreek. I hear what your saying. That's exactly the thing the mill hasn't been used in a few years, and the guy doesn't have anything to run it with anymore. 
Might not be worth driving there now after hearing this. I honestly thought these mills were worth a little more. Guy is asking $7500CAD ~ about $5600USD sounds like he is out to lunch on his pricing.

moodnacreek

These old handset circle mills don't have the following anymore. In the areas I am familiar with they are very hard to sell.  The last one sold, that I know of, brought $1500.  If you weld and fabricate you can buy one, put in a new mandrel and carriage trucks if needed and so on probably have less than $10,000 in it. It will be a lot of work but and that is why they don't sell. For the right man they are a bargain.

sealark37

The two head saws are worth $400-$500 each.  The rest of the mill is a puzzle for someone who likes puzzles.  As noted above, it will saw a lot of high quality lumber once it is set up and adjusted.  It makes a great project, and lots of fun for the right owner.  Top price for the lot is $2500.     Regards, Clark

Case1030

Thanks sealark37. I'm going to give the guy a call and see where he's at. With the USD to CAD conversion $2500USD is about~ $3400CAD so that will be my final offer.

It would be a very fun project I agree with you on that one. The impression I got was the mill would sit and rust before he let it go for any less than $7g CAD. Maybe if he sits on it long enough the price might level off to more of a realistic value.

Bill_G.

The mill looks to be all steel , no Babbitt bearings , shafts look good . I would grab that in a heart beat for 5500 . You could never build it for that money.

TKehl

Also depends on track length.  The hydraulic feed conversion and ability to run off tractor PTO would be pluses in my book, but could be negatives in others.

I've been keeping a lazy eye out for a circle mill.  Was tempted by something similar (trailer mounted all steel) for $3k that was 3 hours from me.  If I didn't have my other mills there is a good chance I'd have bought it.  I'd be in the $2-4k range I guess.  Only going to 4K if he borrows a tractor and demos it though...

If you plan to run stationary, ones without trailers go much cheaper.  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Case1030

Quote from: TKehl on March 16, 2019, 10:11:05 AM
Also depends on track length.  The hydraulic feed conversion and ability to run off tractor PTO would be pluses in my book, but could be negatives in others.

I've been keeping a lazy eye out for a circle mill.  Was tempted by something similar (trailer mounted all steel) for $3k that was 3 hours from me.  If I didn't have my other mills there is a good chance I'd have bought it.  I'd be in the $2-4k range I guess.  Only going to 4K if he borrows a tractor and demos it though...

If you plan to run stationary, ones without trailers go much cheaper.  
I'm pretty sure its hydraulic feed by the chain driven motor that looks like hydraulic hoses. Can handle 22 foot logs. It also has a sawdust blower. Owner is also willing to put 4 decent tires on the mill for me to pull it home.
Solid steel frame but like mentioned he has no way to show the unit in operation.

Case1030

Talked to the guy more this morning $6000CAD seems to be the limit, he is willing to borrow the neighbors tractor to show me everything. There is alot of variation in price... I'm guessing due to location and quality of mill. The real question here is $2500USD is that timer frame and stationary?  $5500 metal frame transportable steel frame, just trying to understand if that is where the price difference is coming from.

tractormanNwv

Little off topic I know Case1030....   but does the name Case38Man ring a bell to you?

Ron Wenrich

Its hard to tell what exactly it is.  But, having a hydraulic system on it is a big plus.  What I don't see is a hydraulic tank.  They used 5 gal tanks for things like log turners or a log deck.  I had a small mill that was automated with feed works, a couple of dogs, tapers, and setworks.  That was running a 40 gal tank.  If you want to expand on it, you'll need to do that.  You should be able to put a log turner & live deck onto that setup without too much trouble.  

The frame work looks pretty good, and it seems that the work looks to be well done.  The places to check for wear are in the setworks and in the uprights.  Put a square on the upright to see if they're worn.  The owner cared enough to take the saws off and have them hammered.  It says a lot about him.

Current exchange rate puts the $6000 cdn to $4500 US.  Let him power it up and see how things run.  I think he's in the ballpark, if it checks out to run well.  Similar units on our sponsor Sawmill Exchange are about that price range or more.  I wouldn't use a circle mill as a portable operation.  You'll also need something over the saw to prevent problems with the sun.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

luap

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on March 20, 2019, 04:37:32 PM
Its hard to tell what exactly it is.  But, having a hydraulic system on it is a big plus.  What I don't see is a hydraulic tank.  They used 5 gal tanks for things like log turners or a log deck.  I had a small mill that was automated with feed works, a couple of dogs, tapers, and setworks.  That was running a 40 gal tank.  If you want to expand on it, you'll need to do that.  You should be able to put a log turner & live deck onto that setup without too much trouble.  

The frame work looks pretty good, and it seems that the work looks to be well done.  The places to check for wear are in the setworks and in the uprights.  Put a square on the upright to see if they're worn.  The owner cared enough to take the saws off and have them hammered.  It says a lot about him.

Current exchange rate puts the $6000 cdn to $4500 US.  Let him power it up and see how things run.  I think he's in the ballpark, if it checks out to run well.  Similar units on our sponsor Sawmill Exchange are about that price range or more.  I wouldn't use a circle mill as a portable operation.  You'll also need something over the saw to prevent problems with the sun.
The hydraulic tank appears to be mounted under the mandrel. Follow the hoses. I am not familiar with a right angle pump-motor arrangement. Appears to be a working setup. Easily replaced with modern components from Surplus Center if not. As Ron said this mill could be upgraded with other additions that could improve production or lessen the labor. One advantage of the pump driven off the mandrel is if you over feed the the blade and the blade slows down so does the carriage.
If you have the time, google American Wood working Machinery. They have lots of original
 catalogs, brochures, sales literature where you could possibly identify parts like head blocks, dogs and set works if they are made by American.
luap

Gearbox

If you have a crew to help that's as nice a mill as I have seen in a long time . You are going to need a 4 man crew to do that mill a work out . 100 HP would be great but can be run with a lot less . Running right with a good man on the stick and 4 guys 4 to 5000 ft a day would not be out of line sawing 2 inch more if doing cants .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

moodnacreek

Set up stationary , with added equipment, you can saw by yourself and do 1 to 3 m. a day depending on conditions mainly the logs. I have been doing this for a while and with just 1 more man can do more. But I cannot do it everyday like a real sawmill because of the decks being full of lumber and slabs.  There is no limit to the modifications that can be made to a carriage type sawmill.  The thing to do is to have the basic mill running so nice that saw faster than you know what to do with the output and figure out how to handle it and so on.

jimparamedic

So did you get to see it run. If it saws good it is worth the asking price.

Thank You Sponsors!