iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bariatric Surgery

Started by LeeB, September 26, 2015, 11:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

I'm seriously considering bariatric surgery as a solution to my serious over weight. Any body have any experiance with it that the want to share? Pros and cons? Advice, encouragement, anything at all? I have to do something. I can't keep going like I am and I have no luck with dieting.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sprucebunny

From what I've read on the low carb forum, a doctor will probably want you to lose some weight before the surgery partly to show that you have the will power to change your eating habits and partly because overweightness adds to the risks of surgery.

Good luck whatever you decide.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Roxie

A family member had this surgery, and as Sprucebunny explained, she was on a liquid protein diet for about six weeks prior to the surgery.  Her operation was about a year ago, and she has lost and kept off about a hundred pounds.  She said the "full" sensation is something she didn't experience before she had the sleeve put in. 
Say when

LeeB

I'm still back and forth on it. I know I have to loose weight. I'm pre-diabetic, have OSA, Can't breath because of all the belly fat, and have low level hypertension. Not to mention parts of my body I haven't seen in a long time, but..... I really like the taste of food, a good steak, a glass of wine, fire hot chili peppers. Just not sure I'll have the will power to give it all up.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pine

Quote from: LeeB on September 27, 2015, 11:48:03 AM
........................ but..... I really like the taste of food, a good steak, a glass of wine, fire hot chili peppers. Just not sure I'll have the will power to give it all up.

Professional friend did it and lost what they call a "whole me" They lost 50% of original weight 360 down to 180 lbs. 6'-2" in height so not a small person by any means.  They worked really hard at it and it shows. 
I am not a nutritionists by trade so they may say otherwise; but I would say you don't have to give up those foods  that you really enjoy, just moderate your intake of them.  You do have to really want to do it or it will not happen however.

Dave Shepard

I've read a little about it from my research into diabetes, and I don't like the sounds of it at all. You are lucky to be addressing this as a pre-diabetic. The hard truth is that you need to decide between living the life you have now, or making changes and greatly reduce the risk of an early death, possibly in installments. A diabetic diet is not going to be fun for you at first, but you may learn to like it when you start to feel better. Sometimes we get dealt a bad hand, and we just have to learn to make the best of it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

QuoteI really like the taste of food, a good steak, a glass of wine, fire hot chili peppers.

Actually none of those things are "bad". You might want to work on the size of the steak, only one or 2 glasses of wine, and chilli is a vegetable, so knock yourself out there

Then cut back on the carbs.. The bread, potatoes, pasta etc.

You don't have to eat rabbit food, and spices are OK no matter what actual diet routine you follow.

One suggestion I like is "Only eat until you aren't hungry any more". Not all you CAN eat. You can physically stuff in 2X as much food as you actually need to eat to maintain weight. Tricky part is to know when to stop.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LeeB

A very tricky part Ian, one I have come nowhere near to mastering. I really really need to learn to listen to my stomach and not my tongue. I have been making an effort. Nothing major, but little steps. It's hard to teach myself that I don't have to clear my plate like momma always told me. I figure little steps is a start.

submarinesailor

Quote from: LeeB on September 27, 2015, 11:48:03 AM
I'm pre-diabetic, have OSA, Can't breath because of all the belly fat, and have low level hypertension.

Lee - I'm right there with you.  I'm 5'8" and weighted 255.3 about 10 weeks ago.  My last doctors visit wasn't nice.  He stated that if I didn't do something, he was going to put me on a diabetic pill.  Well shortly after that my buddy and I were given a HUGH stack of pushed over logs and we have been sawing the he77 out of them.  All the hard work on sawing and me paying real close attention to what, how and when I eat, this morning I'm down to 236.3.  The lowest I have been in SEVERAL years.

I read somewhere that if you loss 7% of your body weight, it reduces your chance of type 2 by 30%.  I'm hoping those 19 pounds and all the others I'm trying to loss will make a difference at my next meeting with my doctor in late October or early November.  Hopefully an additional 5-10 pounds by then.

I wish you all the will power and luck I can because I know how hard it is to loss any real weight.

BTW - I enjoy food also and that is one of the real problems.

Bruce

trapper

Lee eat that steak and 2 more. The trick is to skip the bread and pasta that goes with it.  I am a lot shorter than you and I lost over 50 lbs since Easter.  2 slices of bacon and 3 eggs for breakfast meat and vegetables for other meals. use real butter and half and half in my coffee.  Splenda in place of sugar.  Watch the carb count in things and dont worry about fat and calories in food.  My wife lost over 20 lbs because she eats what she cooks for me. Many fat free foods have more carbs than the full fat ones.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

LeeB

When I went to the dr last I weighed in at 345. Since I started this thread I've been actively trying to loose weight and have now dropped down to 327. I can and will do this.

Gary_C

Lee, my daughter had the surgery about 6 years ago and I am sure it has saved her life. It took some getting used to with the forced change in her eating habits. If she ate too much at a time she would get sick and she had to learn what she could and could not eat, but it absolutely was worth the effort to overcome her eating problems.

Last Sunday she walked the about 4 miles from her house to ours along with her daughter and there is no way she could have done that before the surgery.

So I would just say, do it, you will live better and longer. I don't think there is much downside risk with the surgery today that exceeds the risk you are living with at that weight.

Gary
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SLawyer Dave

While doctors generally will recommend a vegetarian diet, for some of us carnivores, we would rather die young, (I actually told my doctor that).  I had the vertical sleeve gastrectomy 4 years ago, and feel great.  However, prior to having the surgery, I first changed my lifestyle and started going to a gym to get back in shape.  When that wasn't enough, I changed my diet to the Paleo Diet.  Those changes vastly improved my health and helped me lose 50 lbs, but not down to where I wanted to be.  So I finally chose the surgery, because I felt like it was the only option I had left.  After my surgery, I lost another 70 lbs and have kept it off, but only because I continue to primarily eat a Paleo Diet, get lots of exercise, and watch my portions.  My high blood pressure, diabetes and asthma all went away after I had the surgery and lost the weight. 

So Bariatric surgery CAN be a great way to help you lose weight, but it is not THE answer by itself.  Its like putting on a new saw chain on your chainsaw.  That new chain will cut fast for a while, but if you don't keep it sharp,  you will end up right back where you started with a dull chain.  If all you do is have the surgery, you are guaranteed to lose weight, but you will likely gain it all back over time if you don't keep a physically active lifestyle and a good diet.

I strongly recommend you start by increasing your physical exercise (just walking is a great exercise to start with or join a gym where you can have a personal trainer help you to learn how to exercise safely and motivate you to to it), and improving your diet, (there are lots of books and recipes that you can download for free from Amazon about the Paleo Diet which I recommend).  Try making those into a permanent part of your lifestyle and see how far you get with them.  You might find that they give you the help you need by themselves.  However, if after a year of putting those pieces into your lifestyle, you still find yourself unhappy with your health, fitness, and weight situation, then you should certainly consider whether bariatric surgery would be of assistance to your situation. 

LeeB

Dave,
That is where my head is at right now. As I said before, I am now actively trying to loose which is something I had not done before. Whether I have the surgery or not I will still have to change my diet and eating habits. Even before I could have the surgery I would have to do this. So I'm going try and to see how far I can get on my own. (try leaves an out for failure). I can do this and will. If I still need surgery in the end, I'll cross that bridge after I've given my best effort.

edkemper

Lee,

Let me share my Bypass surgery experience. 5'10" at 300#. Disabled and in a power wheelchair. Drove the wheelchair (with my Service Dog) to the hospital 2 miles away. Had the full fledged bypass. (Forget the lap band). Two nights in the hospital. Every few hours during the day I took my drug tree and my Service Dog outside. On the third day I drove the powerchair with my Service Dog out the front door and back home. (My Service Dog was the first to stay in that hospital) Can't eat for a while so I had to get liquid pain med. Never opened the liquid pain med bottle. Follow the doctor's directions and it's a breeze. I went down to 200#. I've been at 220 and comfortable for the last 10 years. Being disabled I can't do a lot of exercising.

Something only those that have had the surgery know? Most of us loose the constant feeling of hunger most morbidly obese people feel. Which is now thought to be a hormone issue they still don't fully understand. The only real failure my doctor had was a woman that left the hospital on the third day and stopped at Taco Bell on the way home. Needed some extra surgery to deal with the results.

Would I do it all over again? In a heartbeat I would. Years later I also had both knees replaced on the same day and was able to get out of the chair and walk. After the knees, I was able to walk with my wife and had our first dance together.

I am 64 yo and on absolutely no meds and am much more mobile.

Seriously consider the surgery.

If you want more personal details, PM me and give me a number to call. Overall, it's pretty cool surgery. After surgery, we no longer have a stomach. We have a pouch.
Old Man

sprucebunny

Congratulations on the weight loss, Lee  8)  8)

You CAN do this !!!
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

thecfarm

Looks like you are heading in the right direction. Good luck to ya!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LeeB

Several members have sent me personal messages in regard to this thread and I truly appreciate the interest and information shared. For the time being I'm still going to see where I can get by changing my eating. Doing good so far and have lost 22 pounds since Sept 15th. I know I'll go astray some when we go to Belize for a week but I intend to keep it in check and not go hog wild. I'll get right back in the wagon as soon as we get back. I'm going to miss some of the foods I was eating before but I'm really enjoying the weight loss even more. Thanks for everyone's support. That helps tremendously.

red

I don't need a personal trainer so much as I need someone to follow me around and slap the unhealthy foods out of my hand
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

OneWithWood

The threat of diabetes and stroke is a powerful motivator.  When the doc started talking about blood thinners and other meds I got serious about my diet.
Down to 172# and I know 160-165 will happen.  I am 5'6" and 195# just did not work on my frame.  My blood work has improved and my bp is back to normal for my age.
You can do this Lee and you will feel a lot better.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LeeB

I sure do love the forestrforum family. I have gotten quite a number of PM's and much good feedback here too. Thank you one and all. Was a little disappointed this morning to see that I had put a half pound back on but I won't let that under my skin. Just means I have to work a little harder at it.  :)

Dave Shepard

Don't worry about the small fluctuations. You just needed to see that on average, you are dropping.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doctorb

I've been closing my cabin in Canada and missed this conversation.  I am not an expert here in any way.  My recollection about the various procedures is that there is a great tendency to lose a lot of weight with bariatric surgery, but that the weight is often regained over the first few years after the initial loss. 

Lee- I would look on the internet for long term effectiveness of such surgery before considering it.  I'm glad that you are progressing in your weight loss, which is a much better way to go.  I do agree with other posters that, in the correctly selected patient, this can be a life-saver.  The key is in patient selection.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

LeeB

Kinda stalled out a bit. No change for a few days now. Not to worry. It will start moving again soon.

LeeB

Down 40 lbs so far. Phewy on surgery.

Thank You Sponsors!