iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

big poplar

Started by sandsawmill14, March 03, 2015, 06:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

all these logs from one tree roughly 4000ft doyle scale  the bottom pic has 12 volt car battery for comparison
about 48 inches :o :o   not many of these left.
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

hunz

Ahhhh, I've seen bigger. Haha, just kidding! That's a good poplar for sure. On a serious note, look up some of the old growth poplars in Joyce Kilmer National Forest. Its a couple hours from the house, and man what a sight. It's such a shame the woods aren't still full of trees like that.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

sandsawmill14

yea their about all gone far as being in a stand in woods. we have alot of 60" plus red oak and white on our place but most are damaged by storms/lightning so the loggers left them when they cut timber in the late 70s it was my great grandfathers farm and that was the first cutting ever (at leased long enough no stumps were left in the woods) it was over half veneer and 4 trees was a trailer load. I was small when it was cut so i dont remember it standing but i still get logs from one of the loggers that cut the job and he still talks about it. he is the one i got numbers from but i do know there are still 5' stumps in the woods   
What all loggers/ sawmillers  need to think about is all the big timber was cut without chainsaws and skidders and sawmillers that dont know need to google pit saw :o :o :o     will keep us from complaining about how hard our job is!!!  :o :o :o

Magicman

Very nice Poplar.  It's one of my favorite to saw.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandsawmill14

magicman i love sawing poplar and beech some of the beech i get has the nicest grain/coloring after the heartwoood dies but has not started to rot yet. almost all of our beech is hollow after it gets any size  rare to get a sound log over 30"

Thank You Sponsors!