iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Quite a resource here

Started by Cedar Eater, February 27, 2002, 01:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedar Eater

I just finished going through the entire Forestry and Logging board here and I have to say a big thank you to all the fine contributors. I'm smarter than I was and I'll soon be a lot safer than I was.  8)
Cedar Eater

Jeff

Thanks Cedar!

Don't stop there, the general board has some fine stuff on it too! And if I must say so myself, all areas of "Thee" Forestry Forum are pretty cool. You gotta read the funny story thread, and also maybe a post on I think its called who are you and how did you get here.

Great to have another Michigan feller on the board, the rest of em were starting to gain up on me... :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Gordon

Well Cedar eater, I've got to say the same as well. It's a very well rounded bunch that posts here. I've learned a TON of useful information since first signing in as a member. So I can second that motion on the thank you to all the members.

The great thing is I"m steady learning new stuff here it's a never ending cycle of information that is passed along in all of the posts.

Thanks for puttin up with me :)
Gordon

Ron Wenrich

And if you got any spare time, you might want to check the knowledge base.  Some pretty decent articles in there.  You might even want to add a few of your own.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodmills1

cedar eater, do ya like peas????? :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

timberbeast

Answer that question at your own risk,  Cedar!! :D
Where the heck is my axe???

CHARLIE

TOM!! CAN YOU HEAR ME!  HANG ONTO THAT LAST CAN O' PEAS YA GOT. LOOKS LIKE YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO ENTICE CEDAR DOWN TO OFFBEAR FOR YOU A BIT!!  That is....if'n he likes peas................ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Cedar Eater

Peas aren't my favorite and I definitely wouldn't take anybody's last can. ;D Cedar is high in fiber and produces less gas than legumes.  :D :D

Cedar Eater

woodmills1

this forum is a gas :D :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Jeff

Cedar, you need to get rid of the yes i'm a newbie text. Yer talkin peas now man, you belong here!

Cedar Eater

Done!

I just searched the entire forum for "peas". I had to go back over 180 days to find that apparently CHARLIE gets paid in peas. :D :D :D :D :D I've worked for peanuts, but I prefer ... well, I really don't need any work so I better keep that a secret. :D :D :D 8) 8) 8)
Cedar Eater

L. Wakefield

Cedar, you haven't heard the true religion til you've read all the posts about GRITS. Grits be better than peas. :D :D :D  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

Grits you say to a Michigander  :D  via having been transfered from Virginny(maybe he hurd of Grits) :P). You gonna corn fuse Cedar Eater and if he asks for Grits in Michiganderland they'll run em off  !!  :D   Cedar Eater ifn youse getz to wantin sum grits- giv a hollar- wills ship ya sum from down souf, ya hear !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Corley5

Grits in Michigan?  This is oatmeal country.  Try it with some REAL maple syrup.  It's pretty hard to beat.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

DanG

I'm havin' a little trouble picturin' myself eatin' a puddle of  cheese oatmeal with a mess of fried catfish.  ::) :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

We eat french fries with fish up here.  Oatmeal's for breakfast.  The only time I ever ate grits was as a breakfast food.  I guess it must be an aquired taste and texture :D  Cheese grits??  Well maybe that wouldn't too bad :)

DanG

Grits is fer anytime, down here. We sometimes have breakfast for supper. A couple of links of sausage, some scramble hen aigs, some grits and cathead biskits, will shore put yer lights out, after a hard day. ??? ??? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Corley5

That sounds good!  Pancakes for supper is something we have on occasion.  Along some bacon or sausage on some REAL maple syrup and there's no need for dessert.  I'll have to try some grits again.  It's been a long time and now you've got me wondering :D

DanG

If you're gonna try'em again, you'll have to know how to cook'em properly. I'm gonna tell ya. :P

First, ya follows th' drekshuns on the sack that they come in. If they come in a box, they probbly ain't real grits. ::)  Now, after you execute the aforementioned drekshuns, dump tha whole mess in tha crockpot. Set it on low, with tha lid on, and fergit about it fer a couple of hours. You can dump in a pile of grated, mild cheddar cheese, at any time during the process. We usually have cheese grits with fish, and plain grits with butter for breakfast.
Now, after you eat, there will probbly be some grits left over. DO NOT THROW THIS AWAY!  Put it on a plate, cover it up, and put it in tha fridge.  Next mornin' at breakfast time, cut it into squares an' fry it up in some bacon drippin's. You're in fer a whole new treat. 8) :o 8) :o

Jeff

DanG is right, other then the first part. Tom tied me up and gave me grits twice while I was down there. The first batch, the plain ole breakfast variety wernt my cup-o-tea, but the fried grits the next day? Very Good. so, I suggest that as slow as the south is, they do get in a hurry eating grits. Don't eat em till they fry em the second day!

L. Wakefield

Ooh, ooh, now you can't speak about that frying the cold stuff in the am without paying a bit of attention to scrapple! Much as I enjoy peas n grits, I have to say scrapple is up there in the pantheon of wicked good food, yessuh!

It'll be no news to y'all that scrapple is made from cornmeal and pork scraps. Some boil a hog's head to get the pork scraps. I tended to go for neck meat myself, since it's so difficult to do anything else with. But you simmer it til the meat is ready to fall off the bones, and then you strain off the broth, get your meat scraps free from the bones, cook the cornmeal in the broth, add the meat scraps, season to taste, and then put into greased loaf pans. Set in the fridge overnight.

In the AM you can slice that stuff, panfry it til it's crispy light brown, and eat THAT with maple syrup.

One neighbor said he didn't LIKE the meat scraps in there- didn't like 'hairy scrapple'. He left the neighborhood after awhile and we wuz all greatly relieved at that.   :) :)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

8)  "And That's What I Like About The South"8)    Sock it to DanG It  :D :D                
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Cedar Eater

I've had some southern cooking and enjoyed the vast majority of it. I don't think I've had scrapple, but I've had grits, collard greens, okra (deep fried and in soup), kale, red beans, dirty rice, crawfish (boiled and thrown out on brown paper with cobs, deep fried and ay-too-fay), gumbo and from the deep deep south, chorizo.  I love food and I've been fortunate to visit lots of places when I worked in the oil industry. I even lived in Los Angeles for a while, but I was born in Michigan and I just had to have more trees around, so I came home by way of five years in VA. The most important lesson I learned from all my travels was that NOBODY MAKES COLESLAW LIKE MY MOM! :) :) :) :) :)
Cedar Eater

Bud Man

Amen - Cedar Eater --"Ain't no place like home"

DanG

Yup, yup! I still like to slip my feet under my mama's table, when I get the chance. She's 80 years old, but she can still lay out a feast.

BTW, I'm sorta famous for my cole slaw, on a local level. Should I try putting some cedar chips in it next time? :o :D :D

Tom

I used to have to go to Los Angeles on business trips in my corporate days.  The home fair there is something called "goughowtneet" and "taikowit".  

DanG

I know what you mean, Tom. Some folks idee of sumpndeet is kinda strange.

Trc^

You mean folks sometimes got left-over grits ... never seen no such critter .. around here .. no matter how bigga pot of grits .. it all gone real fast ..(served hot with butter just drippin outta it) .. yup i agree .. no cookin better than mammas .. (wish i couild put my feet under her table again .. passed on about 8 years ago) .. now .. who has ever had 'monkey-biscuits' .. those are a real treat ..

Trc^

Tom

What's a monkey biscuit, Trc^? :-/

Jeff

Tammy makes what she calls monkey bread, tastes kinda like a gooey cinnamon roll.

Cedar Eater

Monkey bread is a term used for any bread that you're supposed to eat monkey style (you just tear it up with your hands and stuff it into your pie hole). The messier the better. Mmmmm mmmmm goooood! ;D ;D ;D I've never heard of monkey biscuits, but I know this ole boy from Kentucky who would rather eat biscuits with butter or honey on them than anything else. I went elk hunting with him in CO and he would take a dozen buttered biscuits out with him every day and come back with an empty ziploc.
Cedar Eater

macurtis

::)  Cedar Eater---- I read your post about working in the oil
industry. I worked for Aminoil and Phillips Petroleum for
18 years on the LA. Gulf coast.

Cedar Eater

macurtis -- I worked for Mobil Oil in Torrance, CA and Fairfax, VA until Exxon became ExxonMobil in '00. It seemed like a good time to leave. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I visited the Mobil refineries in Chalmette, LA and Beaumont, TX often enough to find some of the best local restaurants.

Southern CA was fine while I was young, single and didn't need to care where I slept. :o After getting married and buying a house (and getting older), it became more obvious that it wasn't a very interesting place. ::)

VA was nice, but my commute was an hour each way and making a living started to seem more like making a dying. :(

So now I'm where I want to be and I'm doing what I want to do. Fortunately, I'm one of the few people who can be satisfied with that.  :D :D
Cedar Eater

Trc^

ok .. heres how ya make monkey biscuits .. ya take day old biscuits .. (fresh dont work out to well, but will work) .. then you cut them in half .. slabb on some butter .. then put in a hot fryinpan  butter side down .. brown it real good .. then you take and pour in a good helpin of 'STEENS Ribbon cane syrup' .. or can use dark 'KARO' syrup (just not as good) .. then heat the whole thing up till the syrup is boilin pretty good .. place the biscuits on plate .. pour the boiled syrup on .. then stand back so ya dont get ran over ... yup .. good stuff...

Trc^

Bud Man

Maybe a Forestry Forum Cookbook is in order here===I know I'm getting hungry--Maybe Jeff B and Corley 5  on their next Cabin Rendezvous can slip into an apron and........... :D :D

L. Wakefield

THAT'S a DanG good idea! That thread won't have no end :D  lw

DanG

Funny you should mention that, Trc^. Just this morning, I was having breakfast at a little cafe, with one of my co-workers. We were enjoying the grilled biscuits, along with grit, eggs, and bacon. They split the biscuit, butter it, and grill it, face down, where they've been cooking the bacon. They went down mighty good with some peach jam.

I was telling my buddy how I always enjoyed the "biscuit toast" my mom always made from leftover biscuits. She split, buttered, then broiled them for a few minutes. Sure beats toast from a toaster!!

Jeff

The knowledge base already has a place for you to startadding your recipes!

Thank You Sponsors!