iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Haulers

Started by Bud Man, April 14, 2002, 06:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Man

Have talked with a few tree trimmer companies and a couple of insurance companies in the Memphis area and the iniatial response has been very promising. Several have been open to giving me all of their trees if  I'll show up and haul em off on a dependable and timely basis !  Was suprised to find that nobody seems to have any level of dependability in responding to this market.  Need some info on sites to study the choice of log haulers available, tried the knowledge base , either ain't none listed or their too expensive !  Anybody got any sites too study.  Going to Forestry expo next weekend and wanted to be a little knowledgeable before I go and have idea of options and prices !   Any help appreciated !!
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

JoeyLowe

;D  Hi Buddy:

Around here I've been hearing alot about this sawyer was an alcoholic or that sawyer would never show up as promised.  Seems to me that East Texas is a very good place for a decent sawyer right now!   :D ;D ;D  Guess I'll have to fill that slot! 8)

I've seen a couple solutions in use around here for log hauling.  One fella used a fith wheel trailer with a knuckleboom loader mounted on the end. kind of like the payuer loader but with the loader at the other end of the trailer.

Probably the most ingenious and cheap idea that I have seen is where this one local sawyer (who goes around and collects trees from tree trimmers)  bought a 16' x 7' tow-behind trailer and mounted a winch at the front of the trailer.  He uses rails similar to those found on manual mills to winch the logs up on to the rails of his trailer so that the logs are resting on the trailer rails and not on the trailer deck.  He bucks the logs to 8.5' so they hang off a little and then he chains them to the trailer.  He slids his saws and tools underneath the logs and off he goes.  Total investment is around $2000.00.  The trailer is wide enough so that it isn't too top heavy and he never overloads the trailer.  Most of the time he is only hauling 2-3 logs that are never over 24" in diameter. ;D
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Tillaway

I have seen loader arms similar to the kind uses on the portable sawmills mounted on trailers.  There was sombody in Siuthern Oregon making trailers like this but I can't recall who.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

woodmills1

try   www.payeur.com  to look at their over the road log hauler.  thier adds are also in sawmill and woodlot mag.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

Bur man I have been looking at them also.  I saw the one that Woodmill I is talking about at the Oregon Logging show laster year.  The over the road pull unit was around $20,000.  :'(  I told the wife about it and she said, "Someday."  We all know waht that means, don't we.  There is one in Sawmill and Woodlot I saw in the lst issue that look awful good for far less $.  It was on page 57. It is called the Nokka.  They are made in White Hall, Md.  Their site is www.forestindustry.com/Carlneutzel.  If you see one at your show, let us know what you think about the unit, please.
Frank Pender

woodmills1

sorry but I just checked the web site myself and they don't have the over the road hauler on it.  It is called the wheeler, also wheeler jr.  they will be at springfield and i bet they haul their show equipment there on the wheeler.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bud Man

Thanks all for the thoughts and info, I'm gonna look up the referances and surf till next Friday and then kick the tires of a few at the expo , will report back findings or purchase ??
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Paul_H

Bud Man,what size logs do you think will be your average,picking up from the tree trimmers.There are a few guys around our area that have 5 ton Ford cab overs,with a Hiab.Most have a16' deck,and short drop in stakes.They run $6-10,000 US.Nothing fancy,but seem to do the job with one person.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Bud Man

Paul and others , I think the bulk of the urban trees will be over 20' . Most of these folks have chippers and their main concern is fast dependable and reliable pick up response so they won't have to cut up small enough for city disposal codes. I'm a little unsure what size I should cut them to for speculative sawing and drying size. Most folks seem to imply that 8' 6" is good size length and 4/4 a good width to cut for future marketing. So my thoughts were 2 times that or 19 to 20 feet for quick extraction from yard sites, or might buck to 10 feet for easier  weight handling and quicker loading.  I'm open to suggestions and advice !!  I'd like to stay between $10 to 15K and have proper DOT certifications, and safety and looks are  primary concerns. (want to make professional appearance).  Joey , I like your idea from an economical approach but sounds like you would limit yourself to 6 or 7 ft. length to be safe and legal.   Any suggestions or ideas appreciated !!    Thanks All !

Corley5

A serious horse logger in town just got a new toy 8).  He traded his old Iron Mule in on a horse drawn forwarder trailer.  The running gear looks similar to a tandem axle farm wagon.  It has a mounted clam with a Honda engine and hydraulic brakes so it doesn't run over the team.  Pretty neat rig not sure of make.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bud Man

Frank, I looked at that Nokka loader mounted on a trailer seems to be adequate but a little pricey, still looking !!  Thanks for the tip !

Keith_A

I just got the latest issue of Sawmill magazine and they have a review of a brand of loader call Hardy from Canada.  The reviews are pretty good, and the prices listed seem incredibly low.  The model with a 17 ft reach(1464 lbs at 15 ft) is listed at $2600 dollars( although if you wanted to put this on a gooseneck trailer you would need to add a hydraulic power unit).  The companies website is under construction and has no useful info on it yet.
    Budman have you seen one of these yet?  Doesn't this price seem far below the Nokka, Majaco, and Farmi of similar capacities?  I am hoping the prices aren't typos.  ;)

Bud Man

Keith A , I looked at the Hardy web site and I think that $2600 was just for the wagon or hauler, didn't include hydraulics and didn't have the looks of highway approval .  They are sending me info, prices and availability and dealer info !  Thanks !

Frank_Pender

Well, guys and gals, I think I did it for a loader and a trailer.  This, having been a teacher in one place for 30 years is sure starting to pay off in ways I had not even dreamed.  :P  Two days ago the parent of a student I had 33 years ago offered me his old Ramey Log loader, for free.  It even runs great.  I might have to replace a few hoses or fittings, but all I have to do is get another parent who has two self-loaders to help me move it to the farm, about 15 miles way. 8) 8)
 As to the trailer, another parent informed me that there was a trailer, exactly as I have been looking for, on which to place the loader.  It has a tandem axel rear-end and a duel axel dolly upfront.   Brand new brakes and bearings for the dolly plate upon which to turn. There is also a beaver tail with which to load any type of equipment up to the size of a D 8.     The owner offered it to me for only 5 C notes. You will     get pictures of them also, but it will be a while for them to       appear.  
Frank Pender

J_T

Way to go Frank. When I need something I ask everyone I see never know what surplus equepment is sitting in someone's lower 40.
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!