iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wallenstein Tractor Winch

Started by crazy4saws, November 14, 2017, 06:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DDW_OR

Quote from: crazy4saws on December 09, 2017, 10:36:28 PM
...I will need to bypass the seat switch on the kubota, have to be in the seat whenever operating the winch.

I'll post better pictures in the next few weeks. Next thing is to add oil and gas storage along with chainsaw storage to the tractor. Then an actual brush guard to the front and protection plates for the filters. Minor damage to the 550xp, broken brake handle, due to lack of storage on the tractor.........

the "seat switch" is a bad safety idea

I have been thinking of using a pickup bed liner for a belly protector for my tractor.
won't stop everything but will stop 90%
"let the machines do the work"

mike_belben

Find some 1/2" uhmw commercial cutting boards.  They make slick and indestructible belly skids. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

That's an odd setup for a switch. On my NH if I set the brake and put it in neutral, I can run the pto without being on the seat.
I knew you would like it!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Quote from: crazy4saws on December 09, 2017, 10:36:28 PM
After running the FX85 on my 3240 kubota, I believe it's a good match and don't think it's too large. The snatch block, works well, only issue I've had was the cable slipped between the pulley and the block as I started winch. Had to loosen the pulley bolt and unlodge the cable.

Glad you are liken the new winch.!!
I had my cable jam between the sheave and snatch block body once. Not fun plus it ruined the cable. I welded a shot piece of curved rod so it couldn't happen again. Maybe something like that will work on yours.

gg

DDW_OR

Quote from: mike_belben on December 10, 2017, 08:27:20 AM
Find some 1/2" uhmw commercial cutting boards.  They make slick and indestructible belly skids.
good idea if you can find them cheap enough.

a full 4x8x1/2 sheet is about $400

a used bedliner is about $100 or less. I agree a 1/2 inch sheet is better but.......

ScottAR

Some of the Kubotas you flip the seat over onto the steering wheel to run the pto stationary.  Worth a shot before you start cutting wires. HTH
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

mike_belben

New uhmw is pricey, i will give you that. 

Im blessed/cursed with getting expensive junk cheap or free.   Once you get past that dumpster smell, you got it licked.
Praise The Lord

DDW_OR

Quote from: mike_belben on December 11, 2017, 09:13:50 AM
New uhmw is pricey, i will give you that. 

Im blessed/cursed with getting expensive junk cheap or free.   Once you get past that dumpster smell, you got it licked.

i have dumpster dived a lot.
blessed/cursed, i call it direct re-cycling and a blessing  8)

Crusarius

The bedliner idea is a very good one. I like the UHMW / HDPE but it is very pricey and can be heavy. not that that matters on a tractor. But I come from an offroad background. Lighter is better.

coxy

hey I don't have parts for that so be careful  :D :D glad you like your set up  I like the scraper pan thing

crazy4saws

Quote from: ScottAR on December 10, 2017, 09:01:01 PM
Some of the Kubotas you flip the seat over onto the steering wheel to run the pto stationary.  Worth a shot before you start cutting wires. HTH

ScottAR, I tried this today and it works on my Kubota. I didnt use the winch just tested it. It seems like its more of pain then having to stay in the seat. Ill try it out in the woods. Thank you for the tip.

TheCFarm, I tried setting the Pbrake and putting in Neutral, doesn't seem to work on my tractor. It was worth a shot. Your correct, this winch is awesome.

DDW, Ill be posting some pictures soon of the storage and protection progress on the tractor. Good ideas for you and other members. Thank you

Gman, Good suggestion on the snatch block. I tore mine apart and found (3) bushings used in the assembly. I milled on of them down to decrease the grap by almost 1/16th between the pulley and the block. Its worked very well so far. Unfortunately I didnt take pictures of this.

Paul, you sure there isnt a kubota axle or PTO shaft of the winch laying around your property? Maybe under that Petibone or the dozer? No tires for the scraper??? LOL, some day Ill make progress on the C4, the trip to NY was a good haul for that weekend. Dad kept telling me, when it comes to moving dirt, there is more dirt/work there than it looks...he was right. The pan is handy though.

Very glad I went with the FX85, instead of the FX66. The winch is slightly oversized for the tractor as it will pull logs the tractor wont skid, Im talking large logs. However with plate sunk into the ground it can pull those logs out, and then bucked and skidded. Everyone has a preference for their set up. In the pictures is an ash it pulled out into the field before I bucked it. it measured about 34" widest point. Whats not seen is the 6 plus foot of BAD rot that I cut off before winching. Was a little nervous when I started the back cut on that one. I bored in from both sides cleared out about 1/2 the wood, then set the hinge, then moved to the remaining holding wood, about 10" in the back, just started back cutting and POP! No time to set wedges. Took out a 18"DBH soft maple I was trying to save. Im cutting all the dead Ash and Elm plus anything that is dead standing, or has its top knocked out. Local small saw mill will take down to 8" for pallet logs. At least Im making a little money as the woods is not ready for a harvest. Plus its very enjoyable.

For perspective, saw on the left is 154se sporting a 20" chipper set up. Saw on the right is a 281xp wearing a 28" full round chisel set up. 

JBlain

Great choice.  I bought the FX85 last year and the dealer was only 30 minutes away.  I also grabbed 2 self releasing snatch blocks that are well made.  Mine is mounted to a New Holland 1920 with a FEL.

So far I have put about 5 triaxle loads of gypsy moth killed oak on the landing and I did pull a big 38" dbh ash tree in 10' sections up a very steep hill to a band mill.

The receiver hitch is great too.

Best
Josh

Thank You Sponsors!