iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

seasonal reminder

Started by woodmills1, December 06, 2006, 04:30:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

Funny, I have been cutting 4x4 for 3 days and when I clicked on tonight the first picture was a stack of my 4x4.  S0.......................  its time to remember to put some blocks of wood under the mill leg posts and to lift up the log loader at the end of the day.......don't want to be frozen to the ground just when you get that paying on site customer.

And this year I will add......tighten your alternator belt.  It can wobble in the warm weather with no prob but in the cold you need the full charge, both for running and starting.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

That reminds me....  I got to out and get the water tank off'n the mill and blow out the line...  :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

ohsoloco

I've got by so far this year, but it's finally time to put the cold air kit on my Honda

DanG

I gotta hustle about a bit tomorrow, myself.  Gonna be down in the teens tomorrow night, if the weatherguesser has it right.  Gotta make sure I got coffee water for Saturday morn.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Warren

woodmills,

You got ESP Dude !   Thought my battery died today.  Dug it out of all of the frozen sawdust.  Took it to NAPA.  After an hour, it checked O.K.  Went back to the mill to look at the alternator.  Just as you predicted, the alternator belt was flappin in the breeze !   Another trip to town for a slightly longer bolt for the slack adjuster.  And presto, back to 14.9 volts charging.

I'm impressed !  Anything I should be looking for tomorrow ?

Warren
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Corley5

Most days as of late I haven't known whether I'm coming or going  ::) ;D  I didn't have time to get all the scrap cleaned up around and under the Block Buster before the snow and cold rolled in so yesterday in the snow and wind I folded it up, pulled it ahead and used the Iron Mule to doze the bark, chips, sawdust and snow into a pile to haul away in the spring.  I backed the processor back into place and set it all back up, stood back, thought for a minute and decided if I was going to clean up under it again this winter I'd better put some blocks under the jacks and live deck leg pads  ;) :)  I found some 2X6 scraps in the barn that fit the bill just fine.  By the time I was done last evening I was having trouble getting on and off the tractor and Mule because the legs of my Carhart Blizzard bibs were frozen like stove pipes from just below my knees to the bottoms.  They just didn't fit around gear shift levers and between fenders  ::) :) ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodmills1

It is a good idea to make sure your hydraulic fluid is reasonably fresh goin into the cold.  The pump works hard enough when it is frigid.  I let the motor warm up while I am moving things into and out of place to cut, and will give the levers a quick pull as I walk by.  I have found that lifting a large log first thing on a cold morning is not profitable.

Check the loader feet for build up.  I had frozen debris break a velocity fuse one year.

BTW don't dead stack anything when it is below freezing, you may just be stuck with an all together pile till spring.

It also is the time of year that using bar oil/diesel is a real bonus....it doesn't freeze. :D :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

BigTrev

And for the folks south of the equator  ;D pack on the sunscreen and make sure your brew supply is well maintained, because it's gonna be a pearler  smiley_beertoast
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

sawguy21

Gee thanks Trev. As if we need that reminder you sly dog. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ohsoloco

Actually, I wish the ground would freeze already  ;)  Got the cold air kit on the sawmill, and it's supposed to be in the fifties this weekend  ::)  The way the ground is right now I can't get the skid loader up the hill to the fire pit, so the slab pile down by the mill is growing.  Hopefully we get a good freeze or something, I've been telling everyone I'm having a bonfire for New Year's Eve  :-\

woodmills1

It is cool how the bonfire/party becomes something big once you start running a mill.  Our friends really look forward to our bonfires. 

BTW was cutting the 4x4 at the start of the thread, as well as other pine, and sure enough the steel company called yesterday and said.  We need more dunnage. 8)

ohsoloco

Yeah, bonfires are always a big hit at my place, and you can see them from the interstate too  ;D  A while back I was at a party that the parents of a friend were having and I said to her dad that I'll have to call him when I'm having a bonfire, and he said "I know, I've heard all about them...they're legendary"  :D

ohsoloco

I was just thinking about this today, and it's time for my favorite seasonal reminder:

It's now okay to eat Christmas cookies for breakfast  :D

Thank You Sponsors!