iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ruler for leveling log??

Started by vfauto, October 07, 2019, 04:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vfauto

What is everyone using for a ruler to level logs on the deck? I would like a yard stick type ruler with 1/8" increments readable from both left and right.
The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

doc henderson

many of us just use a tape, but it is artsy trying to get a consistent height since the log end may not be near a crossmember.  It is also used to center a pith.  I think I recall @Tom the Sawyer has at least a prototype he has been working on.  some use lasers.  I am sure others will chime in.  It is said for high grade stable wood it is better to saw parallel with the bark.(not level).  @YellowHammer  @Southside  @customsawyer  @Magicman .  I have thought of making a cross bar with an adjustable upright rule, maybe one at each end of the log.   it could also serve as a guide to check clearance on log stops etc.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

btulloh

The tape works fine or make a gauge with a sliding pointer. I have a couple boards cut to fit between the rails.  That way I'm not depending on the bunks. The boards just stay between the rails and don't interfere. I move them as needed for different length logs. 

If you make a gauge with a sliding pointer, it doesn't need any markings. 
HM126

WV Sawmiller

Don't overthink this thing. I'll wager most of use a carefully calibrated eyeball. About the only time I use a tape measure is to measure the height of the sapwood on my flitches when edging so I set the blade height exactly and don't waste wood or have to make a second pass.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

As WV said:  Don't over think this thing!

I use a tape measure, it works ok, and it's not a science.

Real close is good!

How many of us get perfect logs anyways?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

moodnacreek

Considering this is about log taper; if you can spin your logs small end to the saw then you can eyeball the same gap between the bunk and the saw blade.

Magicman

Except for oversized logs, I prefer to enter the log's top end rather than the butt end.  Just easier for me to gauge and set up.  I establish/identify my target inside of every log before I open the first face. 

My 1ΒΌ" 25' tape works very well for me.  For example I can put the tape end in the center of the targeted cant, squat down, and sight across the tops of the bed rails to get a reading on how high that center is above the sawmill bed.  Nothing else to keep up with because the tape is always there.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DPatton

I too just use a Stanley tape measure. It's always on my side when sawing.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Southside

I will put a tape on some depending on what I am sawing, sometimes I will step to the side of the mill to site the log, and other times it's as simple as running the head over the log and using either the band or the drag back fingers as a gauge of how much taper / sweep exists and go from there.

You will find at times it's a compromise between trying to center the pith, level for taper, and or getting the bark level.  It depends on what you are trying to get out of a log.  Need an 8x8 pith centered cedar post with no wane that is 16' long and your log is 12" on the small end and 21" on the butt end? Best to forget about level bark and get the pith on both ends at the same height.  Your jacket boards are going to vary in length but you will get your post.  Grade sawing hardwood?  Level the bark and don't worry about the pith being out of true as it will go into a RR tie anyway.  

Knowing what you need from a log will help determine the best road to take.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I am one of the folks who try to not use a tape measure, laser or jig, and I am constantly practicing to calibrate my eyeball.  I look at it as challenge, and I do it to keep things interesting.  I do use a tape on a very valuable log or when I think I'm about to screw up.  Instead of a tape measure, I try to use the geometry of the sawmill as a reference.

So here's how I do it.  For grade sawing, I will be setting the best two faces so I can saw parallel to the bark.  This is pretty easy to set up without a tape measure, and I showed the technique to GAB when he visited some time ago.  Set the head at the far end of the mill, load the log, and eyeball level the log using the tips of the side supports (backrests) as a guide.  Raise them fully, compare them against the top of the log, and adjust the tow boards until the top of the log is in the same plane as the tips of the side supports.  Then set the height of the saw head where the very tips of the drag back fingers just barely touch the bark on the top face of the log and then return the head to the start position, without adjusting the height of the head, dragging the very tips fingers down the top of the log, using them as indicators.  If the height is adjusted correctly, and the top of the log is parallel to the bed, the fingers will stay the same height above the bark, just barely skimming the entire length of the log.  If the top of the log isn't level, it will be obvious, as the finger tips change height relative to the log surface.  So basically, load the log, eyeball level using the tops of the backstops, touch the fingers to the top of the log, pull the head back, make adjustment to the toeboards while the head is in transit, then clear the log, drop the head and get to sawing.  It's pretty fast.

When quartersawing, I'll walk to the far end of the log and eyeball the center of the pith, try to pick a landmark of the log I can see from the far end, and then load the log.  Then I'll set the top of the backstops to where I estimate the landmark and therefore, the center of the pith is on the far end I can't see.  If the backstops aren't tall enough, then I'll estimate how shy they are, and then I'll set the height of the near end of the log to the same relative height above the tips of the backstops.  So at that point, I'll take a shallow cut, and look at the near end and then walk to the far end and if I did everything right, the cut was good, within at least 1/4" of the pith on both ends.  If not, then I will take the tape measure and measure DOWN from the actual face of the new cut to the pith on both ends.  This is much more accurate than measure from the bed up, as this is from the actual cut.  Then I'll toe board one end up or down and make a second test cut and this one should be dead on.  Then I'll rotate 90 and cut that, and since the toe boards are already adjusted, most time the 90 degree cut is pretty close or even dead on.  Then I'll turn 180 for both and will have a very accurate cant.  At that point the cant needs to be gun barreled, and this is where I will rotate to the corner, and again sight down the backrests and try to eyeball the cut to be parrallel to the backstops.  If the cut was good, then the sides of the face of the gun barreled face will be in the shape of a rectangle, not a trapezoid.  If it's not a rectangle, I make an adjustment and clean it up.

All this may sound complicated and confusing but its harder to explain typing than to just see it in action.  I probably have confused everyone, but it's like trying to explain how to hit a baseball or make a basket.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Southside

Quote from: YellowHammer on October 07, 2019, 10:01:21 PMbut it's like trying to explain how to hit a baseball or make a basket.

Not really hard, if you use Ash and weave it....:D 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

I found a 24 inch  magnetic ruler  it rides on the cross bar on the mill it's what I use more than my tape measure. Harder to loose when it's right by my face when I push the mill.

Ljohnsaw

I use a 4' level laid across my tracks (42" wide) and then use a 4' aluminum rule (actually a drywall T-square) and measure up tor the level.  I can use it anywhere on my tracks.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brad_bb

Leveling was a really slow process for me in the beginning, but now I've become pretty fast at it unless the log is really funky and shimming to keep it level is the issue.

I have a board who's thickness is the same as the height of my bunks above the tops of the rails (i have an LT15 which is a 2 rail mill).  I just lay the board across and measure form it to the pith. 

When you measure a height difference from end to end. raise the low end by just a little under half of that and check it.  Remember that when you raise one end you can lower the other.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

donbj

The little coiled spring that you line up with the blade on my LT40 works just fine for me. That and always have the small end of the log at the start of the cut. 
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

carhartted

I use an aluminum framing square.
Here's to making sawdust.

kelLOGg

I made two T squares - one for each end so I don't have to move one back and forth forgetting where I used it last.

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

John Bartley

I probably do much like most others :

- I like to cut from the small end to the big end of a log if possible.
- depending on the the wood I'll open up parallel to bark (big$ wood) or to heart (small$ wood)
- I have a chunk of 2"x2" with notches on one side that sits on the frame rails. From there I just measure up until I get either heart or top bark level.
- I also have a laser jig that I made from a $10 hardware store laser level.  It's neither faster nor more accurate than my tape measure.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on October 07, 2019, 08:14:11 PM
One section of MM's post: I prefer to enter the log's top end rather than the butt end.  
I find that if I set up the logs so that I enter the log's top end as MM stated then I use the closest leveling roller and am less apt to make long or very long tapers.  I don't think I desire to see the doors that would use some of the tapers I've made.
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

GAB

Quote from: Brad_bb on October 08, 2019, 12:48:51 AMPartial quote from Brad's post: Remember that when you raise one end you can lower the other.
If the large end of the log is just on a bed rail the center will not change enough to consider when playing with the small end, however if you have a log with a lot of butt flare then you may want the log end to be past a bed rail by some otherwise you may not have enough roller leveling height.
Many factors come into play, and many decisions need to be made, when sawing and depending on equipment and manpower availability the decisions will vary from one site to another with roughly identical logs.
I hope many of you did very well in your physics classes.
Happy Sawing and remember Mother Nature does not allow drop outs.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I agree with a quick check of the tape on the valuable ones and a good eyeballing on the others. My biggest challenge is remembering to drop the toe boards back down :o. Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

moosehunter

I use a plastic 24" level with an inch scale on the side. Pretty inexpensive and takes a lot of abuse. I use it leveling the mill then while sawing for measuring. Used to be the big box stores had them but haven't seen one with the scale on it in a couple years. The old time hardware stores seem to be the place to find them. $7 last one I bought.

mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Peter Drouin

I use my eye out to 25', tape out to 45'.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

doc henderson

put this on the laser this eve.  2 inch wide (after cut on table saw)  1/4 inch thick maple 24 inch long.  big enough for @Magicman to see from 10 paces.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

@Southside i will make you one with chickens, instead of numbers, but it will only be 10 inches long cause no one wants you to take off your shoes!!! 8) 8) 8) 8) :o :o :o :o :D :D :D :D ;) smiley_airfreshener

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Quote from: doc henderson on October 08, 2019, 09:49:27 PMbig enough for Magicman to see from 10 paces.

So do you want me to look with my Left Eye?

Or my Right Eye??   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

hope you are ok!  did you have eye surgery?  

Nebraska

Ditto, was chuckling at the thread, not a good look. 

Magicman

No, just battle scars from years past.  It is sometime painful to get as old as I am. 

Wanna see my toes??  :o

doc henderson

sorry @Magicman I am off work today, and I am not sure how far this is going!!! :D :D :D

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Magicman on October 09, 2019, 07:53:27 AM
No, just battle scars from years past.  It is sometime painful to get as old as I am.  

Wanna see my toes??  :o
Chicks dig scars. :D ;D
 However, the foot thing, probably not. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

@Magicman now i see why you are so respectful when referring to your wife Ms. Pat.   :o   :).  looks like she keeps you in line!!! :D  @Southside i got a prototype "southside special ruler" done in your honor.  I went up to 24 if you promise to keep your shoes on!  ;)  

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Old Greenhorn

Oh my! That is just precious! (and just a little sick and weird, but I guess that is what makes it special.) You guys are something else. Doc, you are a little messed up. ;D ;D 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

Sometime I use this:

But it only measures feet.

Andries

What?
No metric feet?
Like, with ten toes per foot ?
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

WV Sawmiller

Where are the PC police when you really need one? :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Ianab

Reminds me of the Rarotonga scenic flight we took a few year back. We had booked out of our beach house, returned the rental scooter, checked our bags, had lunch in town and still had a few hours to fill. 

Back at the airport, oohh look, scenic flights for $XX. Jump in a trusty Cessna and off we go. 

Check the Island Style "No Step" decal.

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

I know that he is just trying to feather his nest but I am waiting for the rest of doc's eggs to hatch.  Guess that he could build a fire with the ruler and have a.....

Chickin Crispin.  :o

WV Sawmiller

Do you think those are done enough? ::) ::)
Howard Green

Magicman

They certainly earned their name!  ::)

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on October 10, 2019, 07:43:23 AM
I know that he is just trying to feather his nest but I am waiting for the rest of doc's eggs to hatch.  Guess that he could build a fire with the ruler and have a.....

Chickin Crispin.  :o
All the chickens on his ruler WERE "Crispin'd"  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ljohnsaw

Hmm, every thread ends up with food - but no grits yet?

I just made this up from some aluminum 1/8" x 1" stock I had laying around.  I had the last 2 feet of a 12' stick on measure (for radial arm bench).  It doesn't matter what the number is, just a reference to the pith.  The wing nut allow for sliding the vertical to match where the log is and it can be taken off to store as a single 4' long stick.

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Thank You Sponsors!