iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tomorrow's the big day

Started by dustintheblood, October 15, 2019, 07:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustintheblood

So after retiring from the full time sawmilling business about 7 years ago, I've sat on all the equipment and just used the mill on a very occasional basis.  Since last fall I have been slowly upgrading all the systems and making a new layout for the mill area, plus installed a firewood processor and live deck.  We got some hoppers to make handling and sorting the firewood easier (there are 3 woodstoves and two outdoor boilers on our place, so we go through a ton of firewood each year).

The last thing to do is recommission the dry kiln.  It needs new bearings in the exhaust fan assemblies as well a new PLC controller for the wet bulb.  The software also needs upgrading.

The tech from the kiln manufacturer is here tomorrow to get all the work done and I'm back drying for fun!!!  I have about 40,000 fbm of 4/4 - 8/4 hardwoods to get through it.  Then I can pick and choose from my pile of lumber to make interesting woodworking projects!!!

Yup - I'm happy!!!    8) 8) 8) 8)

The warehouse where all the milling etc. is inside - including the kiln  

A big hard maple we brought in from a fencerow early this week

Hoppers to make firewood easier

The RangeRoad processor with the shop-built live deck.  The kids bag firewood for sale locally, and I use the big tote bags to store kindling and small wood for the maple syrup operation

The ICS kiln (manufactured near here in Bancroft) ready for final work tomorrow  

And finally, the maple syrup operation (in another barn).  We added an RO last season, and it's one of the best things we ever did.

Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

thecfarm

And a field to store lumber in!!!  Or whatever overflow you have. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

dustintheblood

To keep the yard clear, we sort and stage logs in a field about a hundred yards from the mill.  It helps to spread them out and presort before cutting.  We also optimize and merchandise them for best grade / use.

The kiln-dried lumber is stored on the opposite interior inside of the mill building, and a 40x60 pole barn (open one side) is where we do the air drying.
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

dustintheblood

Here's some 4/4 stock ready to go into the kiln this week.  Should turn it around in about 3 days or so  since it's hard maple and already ad down to 12%

We only use Breeze-dried hardwood stickers, and they really do a fine job of eliminating sticker shadow

nativewolf

Thanks for the updates! How many acres and maple trees do you guys tap?
Liking Walnut

dustintheblood

We have 700 acres here, of which we tap about 30 or so.  There's about 400+ on pipeline (gravity), so it keeps us more than fed and provides lots to give away to friends and clients each year.  My wife's got quite the reputation as the syrup lady cause everywhere she goes for business meetings, she gives a ton away

YellowHammer

Nice layout.  How big is the warehouse?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

dustintheblood

60x110.  It's a good size in proportion to lumber, logs and turning radiuses.  I would like to have a proper woodworking shop, so may turn one of the old drivesheds into one in the next few years.  There's one that's about 20x50 that would be perfect, but would need a lotta love to do it well.

dustintheblood

All done.  Long day, but in one shot we tidied up the heat exchanger, replaced and reprogrammed the PLC, installed the new fan driveshaft & pillow block bearings, reconfigured the water distribution valves and did a test run.

First load goes in tomorrow (Thursday).  6% m.c. here I come

Southside

How many BF can you dry at at time?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!