iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norwood's new "Frontier" mill

Started by dirtymartini, September 24, 2017, 08:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

I just got the e-mail from Norwood announcing their "Frontier" series made in china mill. Since I have been sitting on the fence for a couple years and this mill 's price point is very tempting I have added it to my list. The Woodland Mills HM 126 or HM 130 is also right up there.

Any opinions from experienced sawyers?

https://www.frontiersawmills.com/us/products/frontier-sawmills/os27-sawmill

pwrwagontom

Interesting!  Just my two cents:

Looks to me like they started with an LT10 and re-engineered it.  This thought is based on a few of the features/design...I really like that they used a system for leveling it like an LT15.  Also, the trailer package is a good idea.  I'd buy it, but probably would use it for leveling more than transport.

I can kind of see some of the areas where they cheaped out...for example simple box channel.
The clutch system and emergency stop features look excellent.

But I have to wonder...for a righty, it looks awkward and clumsy to be operating the sawmill from the right hand side.  Even the guy in the video appears uncomfortable.

BUT, very cool looking...I would want to check one out in person.
Never give an inch

dirtymartini

Quote from: pwrwagontom on September 24, 2017, 09:09:13 AM
Interesting!  Just my two cents:

Looks to me like they started with an LT10 and re-engineered it.  This thought is based on a few of the features/design...I really like that they used a system for leveling it like an LT15.  Also, the trailer package is a good idea.  I'd buy it, but probably would use it for leveling more than transport.

I can kind of see some of the areas where they cheaped out...for example simple box channel.
The clutch system and emergency stop features look excellent.

But I have to wonder...for a righty, it looks awkward and clumsy to be operating the sawmill from the right hand side.  Even the guy in the video appears uncomfortable.

BUT, very cool looking...I would want to check one out in person.

Thanks for the reply. Never having owned a sawmill these are the things I need to look out for.

goose63

Looks some what the Woodland mill.

I think its a good mill for the price. but I'm a woodland fan

I'm operating mine from the right side and i like it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mobile sawmill services

2 years in the design............aye, right, looks like every other small mill coming out of asia at the moment, nothing new here, even the log clamping system is around 18 months behind some of the plusher versions

thecfarm

I like the press and go. I have a Thomas. Just press the thottle and push.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DaveinNH

That "press and go" bar height looks awkward. Unless the operator in the video is very tall it appears to be very low. It looks adjustable up or down, but only to a certain height due to the height adjusting crank. I had a manual, non trailer, mill for a few years and do not think I would have liked to be bent over as far as he was to operate it. Just my 2 cents
Wood-Mizer LT40HD26     Polaris 6x6 Big Boss
Ariens 34 Ton Splitter       Stihl 460, 261, 70

dboyt

Looks pretty similar to their LM26.  As for the height, you can put it up on blocks for any height you want.  Personally, I find it easier to work with the logs (especially turning) when the mill is at about knee-height.  They'll have one at the Cambridge, OH Paul Bunyan show next week.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

ChugiakTinkerer

It sure would have been a contender for me when I purchased my HM130.  A big distinction I see is the 7' bed rail length.  It comes with two so you have a 14' bed to start with, and each extension adds another 7'.  With my HM 130 with an extension I only have 18'.  Those extra three feet are a huge difference if you want to be cutting 18' beams like I do.
Woodland Mills HM130

cutterboy

I own a Norwood mill and have run it for 16 years and I love it. I also find the company honest and easy to deal with. However I am very disappointed to see them go the cheap China route. If they can't make an inexpensive mill in the US or Canada then they shouldn't make one at all.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

TKehl

Similar sentiments as Cutterboy.  And Norwood was on my short list when I was shopping. 

Seems like they are entering a crowded field in a race for the bottom.  I see HF lowered their price in the latest ad... 

Maybe that's why it's a "Frontier" on it's own website...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Darrel

I have never seen anything made in China that was on a par with what the competition makes in the USA or Canada.  So if price is a deciding factor, go ahead and buy it with the understanding that you'll be sacrificing quality.

On a related note, I once worked for a company that sent its entire operation to China. The owner had a big red tool box in the shop with a sticker on it that read, "Don't even ask to borrow my Mac tools."  So anyway during the transition I was in the shop and the owner was also in there so I started looking through his tool box. And as expected, he jumped my case for it and I explained to him that I had no intention of borrowing or using any of his tools and that I was only looking for tools made in China. That made him even angrier and he went on and on about how worthless things made in China were.  To which I replied, "My point exactly."

And I do shop at Harbor Fraight from time to time and in the back of my mind I am aware that I only get what I pay for. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

adirondacker

To those gentlemen that like Woodland Mills.....to my understanding...that particular mill has Four Axis points to align concerning blade tracking....two on each band wheel.....the Frontier has ONE per band wheel....less time and effort...less worry also.....and the blade tensioner system is a piece of cake. For being China made....the steel is not have bad....I drilled thru it...quite hard.
On a side note.....what do you fellows do for water flow rate on say 12" pine....a fast drip...or a small steady flow...my understanding is TOO much water and sawdust sticks to inside of mill.....?

Dana Stanley

Quote from: adirondacker on July 17, 2019, 08:11:28 AM
To those gentlemen that like Woodland Mills.....to my understanding...that particular mill has Four Axis points to align concerning blade tracking....two on each band wheel.....the Frontier has ONE per band wheel....less time and effort...less worry also.....and the blade tensioner system is a piece of cake. For being China made....the steel is not have bad....I drilled thru it...quite hard.
On a side note.....what do you fellows do for water flow rate on say 12" pine....a fast drip...or a small steady flow...my understanding is TOO much water and sawdust sticks to inside of mill.....?
I only have to adjust one bolt for tracking on my hm126. I thought you reported that your tention adjustment was coming loose, and making the blade fall off
Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

adirondacker

In reference to the problem with Frontier's OS 23 blade coming off......that problem has been eliminated......the QC at factory failed to install the spacer that the T-handle tensions down to.....Also I designed and installed an anti-vibration locking bar.....No more troubles!
There will always be "glitches" with any new products.....you just need to adapt, overcome, conquer.

OHBucknut

Just sold my OS31 to buy a LT15GO and let me tell you there is a difference a big big difference. When I call woodmizer they answer the phone frontier did not. the quality is way better on the WM. Had a lot of issues with Norwood and I was pretty disappointed as I have them several chances to "make it right"

Don't mean to bash them but my experience wasn't too great. Wish you all luck with them as they have a great price point. That's why I bought one.

tamarackman

charles mann

even though I'm building a mill, i WILL be buying a small mill too. before jumping into my build, i looked at all the mill makers, price, cutting capacity, lurked in the shadows of this site for a yr, reading similar discussed subjects. i like quality, i like keeping americans employed, and my biggest requirement is, accurate and positive customer service. i don't like being on the "band wagon" as everyone else, i like being original, but that is not possible with mills. so with these topics, WM always seems to prevail, and my purchased mill will be a WM. i figure a few 100-1000 dollars more here or there, going into american's pockets is better for than skimping out and getting what you pay for when budget shopping. my mill build has blown my forcasted budget out of the water and sank, and as a teenager, growing up poor, buying cheap parts to keep our stuff running, i realized, when I'm able, buy quality and pay for it. my purchased mill will be the same. 
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Thank You Sponsors!