iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pecan Farm Table

Started by Mooseherder, December 30, 2012, 03:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseherder

We started a new project this morning with my daughter's boyfriend Dan and My SIL Kevin.
It was a coincidence when my daughter had emailed me a link of a table she asked if we could build.
The picture was one of a farm table.  It was only days after Scott Smith finished his. I knew WDH had done some thing similar so I had asked him what he had available in wood for this project and he gave me quite a few options.  So off to Georgia to see WDH and Custom Sawyer a few weeks later. :)
I decided to go with Pecan for the table and also brought home some Red Oak for some other projects.
Here are some pictures of the start at Danny's work yard.

Back to our place.

I made a temporary fence to rip the boards to length.  They came out square so I'm happy about that.
A jointer is in my future.  I've been eyeing some on Craigslist.
They want a bread board on each end so that is the next thing on the list.
I'll do what Lud did on his table project.
They also want it to look distressed and rustic, lucky me.
This stuff was a pleasure to work with so far, I don't know what y'all hate about pecan. ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Playing with  smiley_devil lumber......and out of Georgia to boot.  ;D

Looks good so far Mooseherder. Can't wait t see the finished table.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Did someone mention pie??  :D

Good size table. looking forward to the top being finished. Any chance of a silverware draw under it? Or than it would not be a Farm Table.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lud

Nice looking stock!  I don't know how much rearraging and flip flopping  you've done to get the optimum arrangement  you've done, let alone the issues of cup up vs. cup down, but I 'd suggest you want to keep looking.  Seems darkness is a little heavier  to the left and the middle isn't defined.  Suggesting, as a starting point, flipping middle two boards to get a dark center with dark edges for the tabletop.

Danny recently used biscuits for alignment as I did on the 2nd big table I recently did and I'm suggesting it can be useful to help get a cleaner initial assembly. 

Squeeze the planks pretty well as you finalize the  breadboards. The mortise can tapered ever so slightly to perpetuate the squeeze after you've tapped it all the way in.  And don't wait to pin it.  I like visable pins from the top tho they could be from the bottom  to hide them if you prefer.  I lock the pins in with Titebond III . 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Mooseherder

No silverware drawer on this one thecfarm. ;)
Thanks for the tips Lud. :)
The boards are all a half inch too wide right now.  Waiting for jointer and the final planing.  I have to make my work table bigger, then get some clamps and tightbond.
The layout was more of what the wood was giving me at the moment.

Tree Feller

Who's the fat boy in the first pic?   :D :D :D

That Pecan looks great. It's always great for a less formal wood and a distressed look will go perfect with it.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

WDH

I may be fat, but at least I am short  :) :) :)      ;D

That quartersawn pecan cleaned up really nice!  You are off to a very good start.  Your daughter will be very pleased I bet. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 30, 2012, 10:00:22 PM

I ain't throwing no gas on this fire.  ;D

The humidity is to low.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Tree Feller

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 30, 2012, 10:14:02 PM
Quote from: WDH on December 30, 2012, 10:00:22 PM

I ain't throwing no gas on this fire.  ;D

The humidity is to low.  :D

I can call Danny a "fat boy" cause I are one, too...and I'm not even short.   :)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

T Welsh

Nice looking stock! Give us a picture when you have finish on it.Tim

Raider Bill

Quote from: Tree Feller on December 30, 2012, 09:55:20 PM
Who's the fat boy in the first pic?   :D :D :D

That Pecan looks great. It's always great for a less formal wood and a distressed look will go perfect with it.

That's Danny's retirement look :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

ely

nice table saw... and thats not sarcasm... mine has a wing nut instead of a handle on the rip fence. ::)

Mooseherder

Thanks Ely.  It's been a good saw but is due for a blade change.

I have a bag full of pecan shavings from the planer and will see how they work for smoking.
The smell in the garage is incredible.  What a sweet smelling wood. ;)

WDH

I bet those shavings will work great in a pan.  I expect some pics of some delicious smoked food  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Mooseherder

Yes, I need to start doing some more cooking, and eating. ;D

fishpharmer

Great start on a beautiful table.   8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

That pecan has more color and figure than you suspect looking at the rough-sawn boards.

Mooseherder

I don't know if it was that pretty when you were sawing it but you were right about it.
The kids love it.  I'm gonna hate distressing it and will refuse to do it.
I'll have to look the other way. :-\
Maybe they'll have a change of heart.

metalspinner

Mooseherdrer,
Danny forgot to charge you for the smoker shavings. I'm sure he will appreciate you dropping a check in the mail to him. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Mooseherder

He can come down for some BBQ. :)

WDH

Slab Slicer

Quote from: Mooseherder on January 01, 2013, 09:43:23 PM
I don't know if it was that pretty when you were sawing it but you were right about it.
The kids love it.  I'm gonna hate distressing it and will refuse to do it.
I'll have to look the other way. :-\
Maybe they'll have a change of heart.

I like the look of distressed wood, but not overdone. What method are you planning (not planning) to use? I've seen anything from throwing driveway stone at it, to hitting it with chains.
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

Mooseherder

We sure aren't using my chain for that and they don't have one. :D

WDH

Tell them that it will naturally get distressed over time  :).

hackberry jake

When I use "pecan" and "distressed" in the same sentence I am usually talking about my woodworking tools  :D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!