iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Making an Ambrosia Beetle Riddled Spalted Pecan Coffee Table

Started by WDH, April 14, 2015, 09:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I am making a 36" x 36" x 22" high coffee table out of 5/4 pecan that has a lot of character to say the least.  The basic design is by the customer.  The legs are 2" square pecan.  Each leg has two mortises for the aprons and a dado groove for a shelf.  The legs have inside tapers below the shelf.

I chamfered the edges of the boards on the top to create a planked look. 

The shelf is a little funky too.  All the black is from a fungus associated with the ambrosia beetle holes.  Nobody can do rustic like Mother Nature.

On the aprons, I put on a bead to create a shadow line.  I pegged the tenons with a 3/8" diameter, 2" long walnut peg.  This thing is never coming apart. 

Here is the table dry-fitted together.  Not sure how the customer will want it finished. 

Just a simple project.  I continue to be inspired by Tule Peak Timber. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Glenn1

Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Andy White

Danny,
A really fine looking project you have created there! Is the planks for the top and shelf edge glued, or biscuited  or dowelled? The beading on the aprons is a good look . You sure make that  smiley_devil smiley_devil smiley_devil [Pecan] look great.      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I actually love Pecan lumber riddled with beetle holes contrasting with the redish heartwood.  Customers went crazy over it, and I had no trouble selling items built with it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Andy,

Edge glued with biscuits.

MM,

I have some pecan logs that I am covering with planer shavings.  The shavings will get wet, and hopefully, in the heat of the summer, the logs will cook.  Also hopefully, the ambrosia beetles will go to town too, and have a party.  The wood for the table resulted when I left some pecan logs stacked off the ground, and sorta forgot them for a year.  When I sawed them, this lumber is what I got.

Serendipity. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

Great looking table... anxious to see it with a finish..  (and finished too  ;D )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

SwampDonkey

Nice table. I like the way the aprons are joined to the corners.  ;D Never have to worry about the shelf neither, I have made a couple items with that type of shelf, plus I groove another at a 90 and fit side pieces edge glued, you'd have to bust the legs off the thing to get that shelf out. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Peter Drouin

Nice, The work of a fine woodworker. Good job,  8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

ely

that is a great looking table, I wish I was set up and had the smarts to do those joints. :P

LeeB

Is it glued up already? I'm a little concerned about the shelf. If it expands much it may break the legs, unless I'm seeing things wrong. Sure is pretty though. I have a whole bunch of pecan like that, if the PPB's haven't eaten it yet.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

samandothers

WOW  really pretty.  I look forward to seeing the finish if you apply versus customer.  I am surprised by the size of the black from the Ambrosia.  I am not familar with Ambrosia riddled Pecan some that may be very common.

SwampDonkey

The streaks get long in maple I know. Sometimes you really have to look to find the pin hole.  :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Lee, 

I have used this shelf design many times.  There is enough give in the legs to accommodate seasonal movement. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 15, 2015, 08:11:01 PM
Lee, 
There is enough give in the legs to accommodate seasonal movement.

What about state line movement? If it fits (in my truck), it ships,  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

You stay away from here.  I will have Julio watching for you. 

SwampDonkey

I've never had any trouble with that type of attachment either.  :)

gfadvm

A beautiful table with some real character. Looks like that pecan dried flat. Was this a standing dead tree when cut? My standing dead pecan and hickory have behaved better than green when being air dried.

Forgot to add that I love the joinery on this table!

hackberry jake

It's going to come alive once the finish gets applied. Sure looks like a rock solid table. How did you do the tennons and mortises?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Andy,

The tree was cut down green in March and left exposed to the elements, stacked off the ground for a year, then sawn.  I had other logs to saw, plus, the grade on these logs was not great, and I was dreading sawing them.  It was a nice surprise when I opened them up.

Jake,

I have a mortising attachment that fits on the drill press.  Like the one in the video.  It uses a square chisel with a drill bit inside it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxyWfze3qzQ

The tenons were cut on the table saw using a tenoning jig exactly like this one.

http://www.wwgoa.com/tenoning-jig-how-to/

lowpolyjoe

woodweasel

Thank You Sponsors!