iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MY NEW HEDGE TRIMMER

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 09, 2017, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My old gas hedge trimmer gave up the ghost after 18 years.

For about 2 weeks I've been looking at new trimmers. I looked at the products from our Stilh Sponsor and decide to get a new hedge trimmer with the battery.

This thing is a beast. I got the 18 inch trimmer for my shrubs and other plants.
I'll trim close to 1000 feet before needing a charge and it takes less than an hour to recharge.

I love it......and found it on the Forestry Forum.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Looks like it will work. Do you send the blades out to have them sharpened, Or just buy new ones?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on May 09, 2017, 10:20:14 PM
Looks like it will work. Do you send the blades out to have them sharpened, Or just buy new ones?

I sharpen them myself. Nothing to it. :)

Magicman

OK, so the first thing that you did was cut your legs off at the knees!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Cool trimmer! I've been considering some of the Stihl battery equipment myself.  Dog looks a lil worried he gets trimmed next. :)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2017, 10:41:41 PM
OK, so the first thing that you did was cut your legs off at the knees!   :o

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Thats what Paul said..... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

paul case

My guess was that you thought that being lower to the ground might keep the eagles from catching you?

Nice newtoy trimmer!

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: paul case on May 11, 2017, 06:33:45 PM
My guess was that you thought that being lower to the ground might keep the eagles from catching you?

Nice newtoy trimmer!

PC

And the feathers flew.  :D

gspren

Are you getting the chainsaw with matching battery? I'd like a review or even better a demonstration (I can send directions).
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: gspren on May 11, 2017, 09:39:03 PM
  Are you getting the chainsaw with matching battery?

A battery powered chainsaw is not in my cards.  ;D

grouch

I wanted to look that trimmer up (bought a Toro cordless a few years ago and it was pure junk) and found this:

From Stihl recall:
STIHL is recalling its HSA 56 cordless hedge trimmers. The recall action concerns all hedge trimmers with a serial number smaller than 436535186; the serial number can be found on the hand guard of the hedge trimmer.  In rare cases dirt may enter the motor housing of these HSA 56 cordless hedge trimmers and result in a switch malfunction. This may result in the hedge trimmer blade continuing after the switch has been released. As a result there is a risk of injury.

Owners of HSA 56 cordless hedge trimmers with a serial number smaller than 436535186 are asked to stop using their hedge trimmers and to contact their STIHL dealer. The STIHL dealer will examine them and modify the hedge trimmers concerned quickly and free of charge so that they will be available again for the 2017 gardening season. The batteries and chargers will not be replaced and can continue to be used. This recall action is a precautionary measure which STIHL is taking as a responsible manufacturer.

I like "quickly and free of charge".
Find something to do that interests you.

69bronco

Thought you had a relative come over headscratch

Deese

I was about to offer to sharpen it for you, but it looks like 7° and my Cat Claw don't do 7's. Oh well.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

YellowHammer

Cool machine but....hedges are supposed to be trimmed?  Here in New Market, Alabama we just swing the tractor a little wider mowing the lawn and kiss them with the Bush Hog when they get unruly.  Only have to do it every couple of years to keep them under control. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Magicman

PatD was not at home so I trimmed our Azaleas with the electric chainsaw this year.  She was not happy but at least I will not have to trim them next year.  They are now starting to put out new growth and will bloom very nicely next Spring.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

Why does a goat need a hedge trimmer? I thought that new growth was real tender and tasty  ;D. good luck with it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Magicman on May 13, 2017, 07:57:33 AM
PatD was not at home so I trimmed our Azaleas with the electric chainsaw this year.  She was not happy but at least I will not have to trim them next year.  They are now starting to put out new growth and will bloom very nicely next Spring.

There ya go, chainsaw or Bush Hog, sounds like we have the same approach to hedges...:D
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

paul case

Roundup or grazon next.

No mower or trimmers necessary and it will look like Fall. Everyone likes Fall right?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!