iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dolmar PS-7910

Started by scully, November 13, 2012, 10:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scully

Hi all just joined up here . Prety excited tonite I just bought a Dolmar 7910 I'm hopeing it will turn out to be a good runner . I currently run a 385xp husky but the chain brake paddle bar likes to fall off etc . since it was new and I don't care for the way to light recoil ,it likes to hang up .I have been a Husky fan for alot of years and have owned a few most noteable a 288 and 394 as well as a couple small bore modles . After buying a dolmar to replace my 246 xp I was impressed enough to try out a big bore . Tommorow I will try the newest addition out on a very large hard maple I climbed and roped out over the weekend . I can't wait to see how she performs when I drop the stick ! I have 5 saws at the moment including my first ever high dollar saw a Johnsered 625 ,I will never part with that one . I look forward to reading all your posts on all the topics here ,This place looks like it can provide a ton of knowledge and insite ! I will be on the mill threads as well I just bought my dream mill ! Breifly 30 years union sprinkler fitter ,woodworker , sawyer,arborist ,all around welder fabricator/anything I can do with my hands !
I bleed orange  .

ladylake

Welcome,  I'd do some lighter cutting for the first couple tanks.  Great saws.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

scully,welcome to the forum. I see you just brought a LT40. Good for you. What's the plan for the lumber-sawmill? Must climb trees too? Good luck with your Dolmar.The closet dealer for me is about an hour from me. I've seen Dolmar at some shows and Woodsman Day events,but never saw one in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

scully

Thanks for the replys. Cfarm as a side bar... you and I same age and I grew up in Washburn Maine ! But yes I do climb some ,I just got the mill ,I have always dreamed of owning one ! The 1 I got is exactly the one I was dreaming of ! Just because you lose your job after 14 yrs, don't mean ya gotta put your head in the sand ! I have always wanted to live the lifestyle of wood and now I am gonna ! From Forest to final form brothers !
I bleed orange  .

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, scully.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Scully,you come from a bigger town than I do. I only have a little more than 1000 people in Chesterville. You grew up about 4 hours from me. Where are you now? Put it in your profile,we won't bite.  ;D I never been that far North.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AdkStihl

I used to live in South Paris  ;)
J.Miller Photography

scully

well I used the saw today to drop the remains of the 4' dia maple I was removeing ! I gotta say there is nuthin like a new big bore saw with the bar buryed in a massive tree ! the saw was great ! I enjoyed the power curv and it seemed the rate of cut was prity fast ! Very nimble saw to handle ! for now I will give it 2 thumbs up ! after a few gals. of fuel I will retune and see what I end up with . I think I'm gonna love it !
I bleed orange  .

thecfarm

AdkStihl,I've been there,quite often. Only about 45 minutes from Chesterville. Sometimes we go up Streaked Mtn,sometimes by the school.

sawguy21

I had an order today for a PS7910 fuel tank and wrap handle. His customer purchased the saw yesterday only to drop the loader on it. Gotta hate it when that happens. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

AdkStihl

Quote from: thecfarm on November 14, 2012, 08:51:35 PM
AdkStihl,I've been there,quite often. Only about 45 minutes from Chesterville. Sometimes we go up Streaked Mtn,sometimes by the school.

We used to climb Streaked on the weekends  ;)
J.Miller Photography

thecfarm

Do they sell bumper stickers,This Car Climbed Streaked Mtn.  :D

duffdav

Has anybody been able to compare the performance of the new 7910 with the 7900 ? It seems the rpms have been reduced from 13500 to 12800. Dolmar says up to 15% less fuel consumption with SLR technology. What is SLR technology ? I am afraid that equates to 15% less power. Probably has the catalyst muffler too.

I have two 7900s, a Makita 6421 with the 79 cc cylinder and a 6421 I am in the process of putting an 85cc cylinder on. I bought two cylinder kits from Bailey's recent sale with intention of buying another 6421 or Dolmar 6400.

The 7900 is now the 7910 and the 7300 a 7310. At the moment the 6400 is still a 6400. At dealer yesterday getting parts and inquired about the price of a 6400. $579 seemed like a pretty good price so I took it. With the non-catalyst muffler probaby a better deal than the 6421 prices.

DigDug

Quote from: duffdav on February 10, 2013, 09:54:37 AM
"Has anybody been able to compare the performance of the new 7910 with the 7900 ? It seems the rpms have been reduced from 13500 to 12800. Dolmar says up to 15% less fuel consumption with SLR technology. What is SLR technology ? I am afraid that equates to 15% less power. Probably has the catalyst muffler too."

I have heard in tests you cannot tell the difference in power between the two , but the 7910 has a tiny fraction less hp.   I will attach a pic of SLR so you can see how it works.   The 7910 has no cat .

"I have two 7900s, a Makita 6421 with the 79 cc cylinder and a 6421 I am in the process of putting an 85cc cylinder on. I bought two cylinder kits from Bailey's recent sale with intention of buying another 6421 or Dolmar 6400."

"The 7900 is now the 7910 and the 7300 a 7310. At the moment the 6400 is still a 6400. At dealer yesterday getting parts and inquired about the price of a 6400. $579 seemed like a pretty good price so I took it. With the non-catalyst muffler probaby a better deal than the 6421 prices."

6400's have Cat exhaust.

DigDug

duffdav-  hope  u could decipher that.  As you can see i dont know how to run computer.   I also could not post pic of SLR technology.  I will keep trying.

sharkey

Scully,
How has the Dolmar 7910 held up? 

porsche965

I have the 7900 and 7910.  The 7900 does have more power so I use that with the 28" Tech Lite bar.  The 7910 runs a 20". 
The 7910 has a nasty growl from that new muffler they put on it.  Everything else seems the same, fuel mileage too.  Good saws. 
7910 is tuned to 12,300 for break-in @ 42:1.  4 tanks and so far so good.

SawTroll

If you believe the specs etc, the 7910 means less power, less max rpm and more weight than the 7900 (some say the 7900 actually weighted the same, despite the lower weight spec.). There is no cat muffler though.

Those that have tried them tends to like them anyway.... :)
Information collector.

scully

Well I installed the high flow breather kit , I don't care for the way the saw runs on the first couple cuts but once it gets hot she realy starts to run good . I would like to do some mods but in another thread never got much input on that .
I bleed orange  .

SawTroll

Quote from: porsche965 on October 08, 2013, 09:25:56 PM
I have the 7900 and 7910.  The 7900 does have more power so I use that with the 28" Tech Lite bar.  The 7910 runs a 20". 
The 7910 has a nasty growl from that new muffler they put on it.  Everything else seems the same, fuel mileage too.  Good saws. 
7910 is tuned to 12,300 for break-in @ 42:1.  4 tanks and so far so good.

That sounds right, as the SLR muffler obviously is counterproductive regarding power output.
Information collector.

bigsbetter

I've just bought a Dolmar 7910. I've had Stihls and a small Husqvarna 350, and loved them both, but this time I wanted to be different. I think I got an amazing deal on the 7910 with a 30 " bar for 778.00 at my local dealer. And I got him to through in a new chain! I can't even find close to that price online. I'm hoping to outcut my brothers modified Stihl 460 which cut excactly twice as fast side by side as my stock 036 Pro....Dolmar reccomends using 2 file sizes to sharpen the chain...is this common?
Work Hard...Then Play Hard!

Andyshine77

Quote from: bigsbetter on November 04, 2013, 09:04:33 PM
I've just bought a Dolmar 7910. I've had Stihls and a small Husqvarna 350, and loved them both, but this time I wanted to be different. I think I got an amazing deal on the 7910 with a 30 " bar for 778.00 at my local dealer. And I got him to through in a new chain! I can't even find close to that price online. I'm hoping to outcut my brothers modified Stihl 460 which cut excactly twice as fast side by side as my stock 036 Pro....Dolmar reccomends using 2 file sizes to sharpen the chain...is this common?

Your saw will have 3/8 chain, use a 7/32 or 13/64 file. What the manual was talking about, was using a smaller file when the chain is well worn and the tooth isn't as tall. Now do you understand how to set the depth gauges? 
Andre.

bigsbetter

OHH OK. I thought it meant to file with the 7/32 first, then take the smaller 3/16 after the 7/32. But I understand what your saying now because of the rack of the tooth it will need a smaller file as the tooth wears down. Yes. I understand the depth gauge, I've just never thought to use a smaller file as the chain wears. So if this is the same 3/8 .050 chain as my Stihls, why does this one call for a 7/32 when Stihl calls for a 13/64? Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Work Hard...Then Play Hard!

JohnG28

I think the main reason Stihl calls for 13/64" is because they make them.  :D Others may too but not off top of my head. They do make a good chain and file though.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

I know that Stihl says use the 13/64", but I too, like Andy said, use a 7/32" when the teeth are new and then the 13/64" near the end of the life of the teeth. Keeps from filing into the strap.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jhellwig

I think stihl uses a smaller file because the tooth isn't as big on their 3/8 chain.  If you look at a new stihl chain and a baileys chain side by side the stihl looks smaller in the tooth.  The difference isn't much but you can tell how different the file sits when you try to use the wrong one.

Although that is the opposite of the .325 chains.  Stihl has the bigger cutter on those.
Murphy's Law is a pain in my butt.

beenthere

jhellwig
When first filing a new Stihl chain, the 7/32 as well as the 13/64 files didn't fit the factory shape of the ground tooth. But the 7/32 file would reshape to the file size with one stroke for me.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SawTroll

Quote from: jhellwig on November 05, 2013, 10:12:23 AM
I think stihl uses a smaller file because the tooth isn't as big on their 3/8 chain.  If you look at a new stihl chain and a baileys chain side by side the stihl looks smaller in the tooth.  The difference isn't much but you can tell how different the file sits when you try to use the wrong one.

..... .

Yes, the Stihl 3/8" cutters are lower up front than on most other 3/8" chain.
Information collector.

Andyshine77

Quote from: bigsbetter on November 05, 2013, 07:05:25 AM
OHH OK. I thought it meant to file with the 7/32 first, then take the smaller 3/16 after the 7/32. But I understand what your saying now because of the rack of the tooth it will need a smaller file as the tooth wears down. Yes. I understand the depth gauge, I've just never thought to use a smaller file as the chain wears. So if this is the same 3/8 .050 chain as my Stihls, why does this one call for a 7/32 when Stihl calls for a 13/64? Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I use 13/64 files on all my 3/8 chain, even non Stihl chain, I find it bites a little better, but still cuts smooth.
Andre.

SawTroll

I find the difference between 13/64" and 7/32" isn't really a big deal, as long as the file is held at the correct height.

The smaller file will of course create a little more "hook" than the larger one - for good and bad.... :)
Information collector.

HolmenTree

To be honest I can't see any difference in the side plate profile size of both the Oregon LP/LG .375 and Stihl RS .375
I think Stihl went to the smaller diameter 13/64 file to make hand filing easier with their "heavy duty" harder to file cutters :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Thank You Sponsors!