iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Design Software

Started by Muskydawg, April 15, 2019, 11:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muskydawg

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum, and fairly new timber frame. I'm starting my first project, saw horses, and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some decent, yet fairly simple, design software? I'm only making saw horses, but I'm almost through one eraser already...

Thanks for your help guys, lots more questions to come!

Mike W

Sketchup comes to mind, think there is still a free version you can use, quite simple platform.  You could also check out Timberframe Headquarters website, upper right corner Brice has a three pack of free plans with all the cut lists and materials included, it is a free package to encourage using them for more complex plans they sell there.  These are sent to you over a couple /few days, think the first one sent is the timber frame saw horses.

update your profile when you get the chance as well as keep the posts coming as you progress along, love pics..

Oh and welcome to the FF

D L Bahler

If you download a new version of sketchup you'll have it for the trial period, probably 30 days

if you want a free version you can have forever, look for Sketchup Make 2017. They decided to go all browser based with the freeware from 2018 on, and you can't really blame them because it's one heck of a program to give people for free, especially when you're a company in the business of making money. 

Muskydawg

Thanks guys, I'll check out sketchup tonight. Is it easy to figure out? Or should I be looking for some tutorial videos etc? 

I'll update my profile, as soon as I figure out how to do it! And I'll get some pictures flowing!

I want to build a hammerbeam truss for the entry to our store, so the saw horses are my warm up project!

Thanks for the quick responses!

btulloh

You'll need some tutorial videos or guide or book.   I used a book and it was pretty easy, but without a tutorial of some sort - not so much.  And I'm a CAD guy.

Get the Sketchup Make 2017 like someone above mentioned.  It'll be better than the web-based version.

Sketchup - older versions
HM126

jimbarry

I searched over at FreeWoodworkingPlan.com, they got 9 pages of free sawhorse woodworking plans. Surely something there already planned out for you.

btulloh

Jim Rogers sawhorses work well and they're quick to build. I think you can find the here and on YouTube.
HM126

flyingparks

Sketchup+tutorial videos+learning keyboard shortcuts=Awesome

D L Bahler

It's true there's lots of good sawhorse plans out there
Still, I recommend the exercise of working up your design on sketchup, even if you're just making a copy of some else's. It'll help you learn, also hp you develop 3-dimensional visualization skills. 

bfpipher

Hey everyone, I am also new to the forum. I have been timber framing for about 6 years now and am looking to go off on my own and design some projects. I just downloaded the Dietrich's 2D free software that Jim has suggested and am trying to figure it out. Does this program give you joinery layout? Or would I need to find something different? 

Thanks for the help!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: bfpipher on April 16, 2019, 02:08:45 PM
Hey everyone, I am also new to the forum. I have been timber framing for about 6 years now and am looking to go off on my own and design some projects. I just downloaded the Dietrich's 2D free software that Jim has suggested and am trying to figure it out. Does this program give you joinery layout? Or would I need to find something different?

Thanks for the help!
that program doesn't have any pre programmed joints you have to draw every line
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

bfpipher

Which program would you suggest Jim? I've always been the guy doing the cutting never the one behind the computer so this is very new to me!

jander3

Sketchup with Timber Frame Extensions (formally Rubies) works well. If you need assistance send PM.

Thank You Sponsors!