iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Share experiences with your boots

Started by SwampDonkey, May 18, 2017, 11:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I thought I would start this off with an interesting perspective from a man with his boots.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HafZePalA7U

Schnee's shoe story  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_r2IQvqI78&t=310s
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

acrosteve

Timberking B-20

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

Sounds like a "very much so" top brand of boot!

I like the "hand-made" quality that goes into them!

I may very well check into getting a pair!

Enjoyed the videos, thanks for posting
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

That was funny.  He grew up wearing his brother's hand me down shoes and never got new ones, and now he is wearing $15 rummage sale boots.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

I wear Lowa Renegade mid GTX hiking boots.  They last 6 months to a year.  I don't wear them in the hottest months- mid June - mid Aug.  I have to wear tennis shoes as boots are too hot.  Granted if I'm doing something that requires boots I will, but milling isn't one of them.

I like them because they are comfortable, give some angle support, and are not too hot except the hottest summer months.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

nativewolf

thanks for posting that.  I had never heard of them, great story.  I think for work with saws I'll stay with Redwings.  For comfort hiking or fishing I think those would be the cat's meow.  If I could just cut my walnut I'd order a pair, 1 more month. 
Liking Walnut

Stoneyacrefarm

Ha ha.
I had to chuckle at his story.
I never had any good boots growing up.
We always had to put bread bags over our socks to try and keep our feet dry.
Trucking thru the snow in sneakers a lot of the times.
More than likely if I counted all the good pairs of boots I have now would be 6-7 pairs.
Another Manelda here for sure.  :D
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

no one wears flip flops in the woods  ;D

Ox

I think my wife would try it.  She has to have the designer flip flops that cost $50.  I screamed "WHY 50 BUCKS?!?!?!?" after remembering hearing about dollar store flip flops for a couple dollars.  She said, "they're comfortable", with a bewildered look, as if I'M the one who's crazy.  ::)

There's nothing I could say.  She earned an Amazon gift card at work for doing better than everybody in the machine shop. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

WV Sawmiller

Sure looks like some good boots.

I have started wearing C.E. Schmidt 9" tall steel toed Logger boots from TSC and am very happy with them.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

My present boots are Wolverine and I always wear steel toe boots when sawing regardless of the temperature.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Stoneyacrefarm

Magic,
Same here.
If I have a saw in my hand I have steel toe or safety boots on.
Always.
Years ago I watched a guy cut across the top of his boot.
He was out of commission for 2 months.
You can never be too safe.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

SwampDonkey

My favorite work boot so far in my journey has been Red Wings. But the only boot I can wear in the damp woods for thinning is Vikings with caulks. It's just a whole lot easier on the legs not having to keep from scooting on spruce roots and cut aspen stems under your feet. And I do wear the Vikings when chainsawing, even yard trees.

I have a pair of Red Wings, brand new in a trunk. I have an old pair or Carolina's that I find chaff my toes. They blistered this spring doing some yard work in those boots. I won't be wearing them no more it seems.

Dad always seemed to buy Red Wings, and they are good for farming in. But I don't think they will last long in woods work unless your sitting in a machine. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

re the viking boots.  How heavy are those? Redwings are plenty heavy but I wondered if the rubber boots were not heavier and if they ever rubbed/chaffed.  Glad you posted as I did not know anyone that wore them but looked at a pair last week.
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

I wear the 69-1 model Viking, that I order from Deakin in Vancouver. They come with felt, but I always put a DR Scholl's inside. I line the leg of the boot with a grocery bag that I duct tape around the rim of the boot, saves the leg hairs as canvas can chaff some. They are heavier boots than my Red Wings.

nativewolf

Note I got when I inquired.

We are the manufacture and we do not sell to end users.  Also the boot you are interested in is only sold in Canada.  You could try to purchase it on Amazon or from a Grainger store.

Thank you

Carla Beason w Alliance Mercantile Inc.
4620 Campus Place, Suite 200  |  Mukilteo, WA  98275
Tel: 425-407-0330  |  Fax: 425-407-0320  |  Toll Free: 800-776-5390
www.Alliancemercantile.com | www.Vikingwear.com |facebook www.Facebook.com/Vikingouterwear
View our Viking PDF Catalogue here
View our Consumer PDF Catalogue here
Pictures for all Viking product here
View our Viking Firewall PDF Catalogue here
Order desk: usaorderdesk@alliancemercantile.com
Liking Walnut

hopm

Got a pair of redwings I like but they are smooth bottoms and I have to be a bit selective when I wear them. They were given too me third hand so I can't complain much. Wear wolverine wellingtons a good bit but it's hard to get more than a year out of them. I'm really kinda partial to Danner. Hit the labor day sale every year and they can be bought for 90 to 100 bucks and it's a good boot for the money.....but I could never justify to myself their retail cost.

SwampDonkey

These used to be made in Vernon, BC. Now they are made in Malaysia. Might as well make them where the rubber is at I suppose.  ;D 

Can you get the 68? They are with the lug sole and not caulked.

https://www.deakin.com/products/?c=1340&g=5490

thecfarm

As with Swampdonkey I like my vikings. But I have the VW64-1. I wear them all the time outside,even in the garden.
I did have one pair with the vinyl tops of them. They split where the vinyl and rubber met.
I have a pair that lace up in the back  and no vinyl. I could be in the wet grass in the morning or in the bog. I had some leather boots,but the wetness does not do them good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

Red Wings, Rocky, Lacrosse, Wolverine all seem about the same.  No complaints.  I'm hard on boots.  I'm currently breaking in a pair of Keens.  Always steel toes. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

dgdrls

Boots/footwear are no place to economize IMHO. 

Find excellent boots that fit well and take care of them.
Don't forget the arch inserts 8)

D

petefrom bearswamp

Red wings and Danners here.
The Red wings i wear at the mill are their only model still US made.
Steel toe.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

My Red Wings are also US made, but I got no steel toe. I won't use them for work boots, but for hiking and snow shoeing.

nativewolf

Quote from: thecfarm on May 20, 2017, 08:39:59 AM
As with Swampdonkey I like my vikings. But I have the VW64-1. I wear them all the time outside,even in the garden.
I did have one pair with the vinyl tops of them. They split where the vinyl and rubber met.
I have a pair that lace up in the back  and no vinyl. I could be in the wet grass in the morning or in the bog. I had some leather boots,but the wetness does not do them good.

I tell you what the Viking people must have sold the US rights to someone.  Very responsive but not helpful in terms of find US options. 
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!