iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What a great day I had!

Started by Old Greenhorn, January 05, 2019, 05:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Between the back injury i had 3 weeks ago (and the slow recovery), and the cold/flu/virus thing my Grandson's gave me for Christmas, I have  not been feeling too cheerful lately. Having another warm working Saturday be wasted by MORE continuous rain didn't help my mood. But in the interest of making the best of it, I threw a couple of ash logs in the truck and drove over to @nybhh 's place to meet him for the first time. (The ash logs were just an excuse, he needed some, I had them). I think I pulled in his driveway around 10am. We did a walking tour of his place and boy was I impressed with all he has got done in just 6 quick years. I don't think he ever sits, and the place is neat as a pin. 40 acres of pure joy the place looks like to me and his projects are evident everywhere. He and I share similar views about property and woods management so it was a lot of fun to hear his thoughts and ideas and learn some things. It rained on us the whole time but I barely noticed, the conversation was too good and there was always a new subject or story or question we each had to share. We eventually unloaded the logs during a lull in the rain and then he gave me about 350' of milled pine to finish my shed project with. After a couple hours and saying goodbye 3 or 4 times, I headed home. When I was pulling out of his driveway I looked at the truck clock and saw that it was 3:30. I had thought I was there about 2 hours and it turned out I had burned up most of his workday. I did have a very enjoyable day for sure so I wanted to make a little public note of his fine hospitality and great conversation. I am looking forward to our next meetup. 
 You meet the nicest people here.
Tom
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

nybhh

It was a great day for me too and it was really nice to meet you as well.  Old Greenhorn is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet and it's great when you discover a new near neighbor with all the same interest!  I couldn't believe the time either and if I had known it was the end of the day, I would have offered to bust out some beers.

Don't worry at all about my "project" today, it was just something to keep me busy couped up indoors with the rain.  

Looking forward to seeing the shed finished and checking out your neck of the woods as well.

B

Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

Old Greenhorn

Funny, had you brought those beers out it would likely have been one of the very rare times I declined. I am still whimpy from the cold issue and that easy 30 minute drive home was kind of slow with all the fog and the (forgive me) 'city person' in her prius doing 30 miles an hour. I followed her all the way out to 28, and then she turned RIGHT, so I had to follow her for another 15 miles hanging at 10mph under the limit. Had I accepted the offer I would likely still be sitting there. I didn't even unload when I got home, just went for a dry shirt. Is it EVER going to stop raining? My wife was a little ticked when I got home wondering where I was, she was worried. I had never expected to be gone that long, I mean, who can tolerate my company for more than an hour, right? What could we possibly have to talk about that took so long? :)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

petefrom bearswamp

thumbs-up great visit for the both of you.
Forumites are the best of folks.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Old Greenhorn

What a pleasure to work with your clean, true, straight, and even lumber. Holy cow that was fun and I got the entire roof decked except for trim boards at the end. Then I just have the fascia to do. , but the main thing is that it is covered. I tacked some plastic over the roof and put a tarp on the doorway. Supposed to get snow tomorrow night. Still lots to do, but it is closed in and that is what I was stressing over. Now the inside can dry, next weekend I will just keep plugging and try to get some roll roofing on it after I finish the trim boards. Then the door and the battens. Thank you so much, that bought me back a weekend or two.

The inside looks good too!

It was a little tricky going down the road and through the woods with the lumber truck.

Thanks again @nybhh , your kindness was very much appreciated Brandon.
And now it is finally beer-thirty. I feel like I earned it today, and you have too!

nybhh

Looking good!  Glad it worked out and you could get it closed up.  Yea, that pine behaves pretty well and is a heck of a lighter and easier to build out of than oak and ash!
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

thecfarm

Looks like full size lumber? I like the looks of 2 inch lumber. No snow? I might have 6 inches. But will have 6 more by Wed. Really should have 2 feet by now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: thecfarm on January 06, 2019, 07:33:14 PM
Looks like full size lumber? I like the looks of 2 inch lumber. No snow? I might have 6 inches. But will have 6 more by Wed. Really should have 2 feet by now.
Yep, pretty much full size all around. I am not much of a builder, actually pretty terrible. Nope, no snow. We had a foot before Christmas, but nothing since. I am madly trying to get this sealed up because once the snow hits I will lose my vehicular access to the mill and have to walk down. Which reminds me, I should pull my trailer up from the mill before it really snows or it will be down there for the duration.

Thank You Sponsors!