iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size tractor

Started by haven1279, March 28, 2008, 11:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haven1279

I am considering buying a compact Kubota tractor with a FEL. What is the least horsepower I can get buy with for doing final grading,landscaping,and building driveways? Thank-you,Haven

zopi

I would start looking at about 30-35 hp..or the larger compacts....nobody makes a subcompact that impresses me for more than very expensive lawnmower duty..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Don K

When you say building driveways are you talking about removing small trees, underbrush or dirt removal. A tractor in the 20 to 30 horse range or even smaller will grade, finish and move dirt, but if you are going to be doing a lot digging or uprooting brush and small trees I would go to the 30 to 50 horse range just to get a stronger FEL as that is the limiting factor. I started with a 33 hp 4WD and though it was good, I decided to move up to a 47 hp to get a stronger loader. It has done all I asked of it so far. Even moved a pecan log that weighed about a ton a coupla weeks ago. Made some mighty fine lumber out of it too. ;D  

Check my gallery for some pics of the tractor. Same model both times just different hp.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Dave Shepard

Like Don K said, you can get away with a smaller tractor, under 30 horse, but there is a trade off, and that is the amount of time it will take. A friend of mine has had a long series of Kubota 20HP tractors, starting with the B20 when it first came out, and now he's on his second or third B21. If you want a backhoe, there are a bunch of used L35's on the market, and they have a good solidly attached hoe, you take the 3 point hitch off. The down side, in my opinion, is it doesn't have a hydostatic trans. Shuttle is great, hydro is awesome. If you aren't so worried about a hoe, a low to mid 30 horse will work well. A friend has the L3710, 37HP, which is hydro, and handles a 6' box blade with ease. They have new numbers for the tractors now. You mentioned you were thinking about doing a little work for hire, and a tractor in this range is ideal for this kind of work. I have the L48 which is a bear of a machine for it's size, but is a more costly machine to purchase, and move. A Kubota with FEL around 35-38 HP will weigh right around 4,000, add 400+ for a box blade, and 1200 for loaded tires, which I recommend for safety. You could move this on a 7,000lb trailer, probably with a 1/2 ton, but I'm not sure what they are rated to pull. If you do a lot of grading, a hydraulic top link and side link, often called "Top-n-Tilt" will be well worth the investment.

Dave

The model numbers for B20, B21, L35, and L48 all indicate horsepower. The current models for these tractors are B23, L39 and M59. All are industrial backhoes.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

All good answers.Make sure it's 4WD too.Is that all you want to do with it? I now try to buy bigger than what I think I need.Been working out great.Seems like I did not think about something,but a year down the road it's just right and I'm saying I glad I went up a size.Are you doing this to make money or just for yourself? That will make a big diffence too.The bigger the tractor the quicker you can get a job done if you are trying to make money on the job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Handy Andy

grading, landscaping, building driveways.  Sounds like what I use my skidsteer for.  But if I were shopping, wouldn't be looking at 35 hp models.  Mine is 75 hp, has a 6' bucket.  Glad I didn't get a narrower model with the 5' bucket.  If your area has a lot of hills and slopes, the extra width is good.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

brdmkr

I went from a 60 hp ford farm tractor to a 41 hp Mahindra.  The Mahindra has an FEL and that has made a huge difference.  I have been well pleased with the power as well.  I can't imagine any grading or lan dscaping task that it would not handle. 

I strongly considered hydrostatic and if I was going to be using the FEL much more than I do, I think that hydrostatic would have been the way to go.   As it is, I will still spend more time bush hogging than using the FEL.  The shuttle shift is a great improvement over the old tractor, so I really don't know what I'm missing operationally, but the hydrostatic was nice with the test run. 
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

tcsmpsi

Any of the Kubota 4WD tractors, from the B series on up will do the jobs you mention.  Depending on how large the jobs are, type of conditions, etc as to how fast they'll get done.

Your post would indicate doing multiple jobs.  What kind of impact situations will you be experiencing? 

Doing that type work down in this part of the world, I found many jobs which required very low impact within tight, wooded/planted areas.  A smaller tractor was ideal.  It also kept the transport equipment smaller.

The tractors you're looking at, are up to the task.

I'm kinda old and hardheaded, and prefer the standard transmissions, myself.   ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

WH_Conley

After checking prices, if you can fit it in, that's the big if. Go for 100hp or bigger used. Only thing about those monsters is "fitting them in".
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!