iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oh No She Won't Go

Started by Qweaver, June 28, 2013, 08:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

My LT28  stopped driving today.  I made one pass thru and it stopped driving on the return.  I have power to the control box but the drive motor dosn't drive.  We were in the process of setting posts and I was going to saw out pieces for bracing but I had enough already so I did not spend time trouble shooting.  I'll try to fix it in the morning but advice on what to look for would be appreciated.  I need to make roof framing for the picnic shelter that I'm building and I can do it with the Peterson but the WM is really better for making 2x6s out of 18" dia logs.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

47sawdust

My Lt30 would go forward but only intermittently in reverse.I called Indy and explained the symptoms,the service tech said drum switch.Replaced it and back in business.
Good luck,should be able to get help from WM in the a.m.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

MartyParsons

The power feed on the early LT28 should be the same as the LT40.
Look inside the power feed control box the black box will have power, in /out ,OV or OL. If the OV or OL light is on then the module is bad. If the in out lights do not get bright and dim as you turn the pot then the veritable speed is bad. ( pot)
No power light when the drum switch is forward the drum switch or the circuit breaker is tripped. If you have  reverse the breaker is ok.

Check the lights and give us a call tomorrow morning.

Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

JohnSR

Seems like a few of us has been having that problem this year. Have found on my lt28 that I have to tap the end plate of the motor to loosen the brushes. It lasts a couple weeks then have to do it again. Think the brushes are to large for the holders and get hung up to the point of not making good contact.

beenthere

JohnSR
Maybe there is a need for a drop or two of Blue Creeper...   ;D

Or just a cleaning.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

It seasy enough to pull the brushes out and sand them down a bit if you think that they are sticking.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Qweaver

Quote from: JohnSR on June 28, 2013, 08:34:00 PM
Seems like a few of us has been having that problem this year. Have found on my lt28 that I have to tap the end plate of the motor to loosen the brushes. It lasts a couple weeks then have to do it again. Think the brushes are to large for the holders and get hung up to the point of not making good contact.
OK! That was it.   Tap it a few times and it started working again.   A bit jumpy at first...a few more taps and it was ok.
Should I replace these brushes?  I need to saw tomorrow if I can.  If it happens again I'll pull the motor apart and see if they need replaced.

Thanks John!
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

isawlogs

The springs that push the brushes may be weak, that and a tight fit my be an issue.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Qweaver

What does that motor cost?  Maybe I should keep one on the shelf.  I'd hate to be shut down in the middle of a job.

It's amazing how many times my bacon has been saved by members of this forum.

Quinton

barbender

I agree, I love this place.
Too many irons in the fire

Qweaver

Well!  I was able to get my sawing job done.  I had to tap the motor a few times at first but in worked.  Obviously I need to fix this.  Are the brushes easily replaced?  I'll call WM Monday morning.
Thanks again for the help with this problem!

Quinton

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank you Qweaver for posting your problem. I learned a few things.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Qweaver

OK!!  The brushes are $32 and a new motor is $337...plus shipping.  Both way too expensive!  I quess I'll be searching for another source.  Why do parts from the dealer always cost so much?  By doing a net search,  I replaced a fan motor on my pellet stove for 1/3 of what the dealer wanted...I'll bet it is the same for this WM motor.  We all have to make a profit but these prices are making it hard for me to make a profit. 

slider

Qweaver the factory brush kit comes with new springs I would strongly urge you to go with this kit because the new springs are just as important as new brushes.Also if you replace those brushes before they damage the armature those motors will last a long time.Don't worry about stocking a new motor just keep new brush kits on hand.I keep one for each motor on the mill.
al glenn

beenthere

QuoteWhy do parts from the dealer always cost so much?

Good question, but I suspect it is because the dealer cares enough to have those motors on hand so they are available when and if a customer ever needs it.
Carrying inventory comes with a cost, that has to be transferred over to the customer. The alternative to not recovering that cost means the dealer will go out of business (which is a bigger problem for the customer that has their equipment).
That is just my suspicion.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

JohnSR

If you are interested in picking up the motor and gear box, Wood Mizer has five used ones in stock. I purchased one awhile back just in case the unit broke down. They are asking $194.00 for the assembly Here is the link https://www.woodmizer.com/webgateway/OMusedparts.aspx

Peter Drouin

I mean no Disrespect But,
Most times You get what you pay for, I keep only Wood Mizer parts on my mill.
They keep me working, I keep them working. Just the way I am  ;D
Good luck and support who you want :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

stavebuyer

If you do a search you will find a few forum members had short service life with non O.E.M brushes. I feel your pain though..the brush/spring kit for the 1hp motor on my LT70 were around $123. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can usually figures things out......not this one.  say_what
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Qweaver

Quote from: Peter Drouin on July 01, 2013, 03:43:11 PM
I mean no Disrespect But,
Most times You get what you pay for, I keep only Wood Mizer parts on my mill.
They keep me working, I keep them working. Just the way I am  ;D
Good luck and support who you want :)
You are right, often times non OEM parts can be junk.  But in the case of my pellet stove it was exactly the same part from the same manufacturer.  Some one is supplying the parts to people building things.
I'm really having a hard time making a profit with my mill and any money that I can save helps!
BTW, I ordered a used motor and a brush kit from WM today.  Nearly $300 by the time it gets here.  How many logs do I have to cut to make a $300 profit.   
Money wise I would be far better off to have just left the $150,000 that I have in equipment in my brokerage account and played the market.  I saw logs and build stuff just because I want to.  I've built a home, garage, man cave, saw shed, seven fairly large sheds and we're in the process of building a picnic shelter.  All with my saws and the help of good friends.  I wouldn't change a thing...except for the constant fixing of broken equipment.

Peter Drouin

Qweaver, Times are hard I would like to be a lot busier too.
Work comes in like a snail   :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on July 01, 2013, 06:06:24 PM
I can usually figures things out......not this one.  say_what

Whas a mater, got sawdust in your eyes  :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

isawlogs

If the machenery aint working it aint breakin', wise words from an elder.... then he went on to tell me if it aint breakin' while workin' it aint workin' hard enough....  ::)   So much for his wise words.  :-\

Marcel

slider

Qweaver I'm with you on spending on equipment.I just spent about 2800 on my boom truck.I did not like it but the thing makes things a lot easier for me.I guess it's a trade off in the long run.
al glenn

Qweaver

While I do not like having to spend money and time repairing equipment...it is great that there is a staff at Woodmizer that is knowledgeable about their product, that can give good advice and can get parts to you in a timely manner.  Ordered the motor Monday...got it Tuesday.  Thanks WM!

Thank You Sponsors!