iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Intermittent 12VDC

Started by Magicman, July 11, 2013, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I struggled to finish my saw job yesterday and it was obvious that I had an intermittent situation somewhere in my 12 volt supply.  My Setworks kept forgetting, and the saw head did not want to raise.

This morning I looked in my spare parts box and carried what I thought that I might need.  A quick voltage check determined that I had 12.47 volts past the fuses which immediately dropped to less than 9 volts when I raised the "up" lever.  Cha-ching.   ;)

Thankfully I had a spare fuse block/holder that came in a box of stuff when I bought the sawmill.  I know that WM makes a retro fix that changes the fuse links to sealed fuses, etc, but I used what I had on hand.

The old fuse block was in bad shape and the two top studs actually wrung off.

It's a tight fit back in that tiny hole where the fuse block goes.  Owning and maintaining a sawmill takes at least a basic knowledge of the electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic components.

Bottom line, the connections had actually "rusted" open.  A good cleaning and the new fuse block solved the problem.  I should be up and running for Monday morning's saw job.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Way to go Lynn! It's always good when one can look after their mill.....I'm sure she's looked after you. $$$
(Good pics too.)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

In time, whatever happens with one sawmill will eventually happen to others.  Even with different brands, similar things can go wrong.  Wet sawdust is everywhere and it promotes rust and corrosion.

By sharing, we can all learn from each other.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I always love to get into the small box ;D plenty of room for the fingers, and wrenches aye!  glad you are running Lynn,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

I went through that too , A year later after I got the mill . Wood Mizer sent me an all new fuse block with the new heavy duty fuse in it . The old style fuse [ the thin ones] burned up. That was in o9 been good sents. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

I agree Peter.  If I had not already had a new fuse block on hand, I would have converted.  I definitely will next time.

Al_Smith

A little suggestion .12 volt DC has to be the worst for corrosion on outdoor type of stuff .What will help is to coat the mating surfaces with a product called "Kopper Kote " made by Thomas and Betts .It's a conductive grease type coating that aids against galvanic reaction amount other things.

slider

I had the same problem a while back but the block was fine.While I was at it i changed battery cable ends to the ones with the stud.I had to solder on new copper ends on the cables but what an improvement it made.The engine cranks faster and my hydraulics work faster than before .My fuses looked fine until i took them out then they almost fell apart.
al glenn

Al_Smith

You get anything with low voltage just the slightest resistance really causes problems .Just a classic example of Ohms law in action .

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Al_Smith on July 12, 2013, 09:23:41 PM
A little suggestion .12 volt DC has to be the worst for corrosion on outdoor type of stuff .What will help is to coat the mating surfaces with a product called "Kopper Kote " made by Thomas and Betts .It's a conductive grease type coating that aids against galvanic reaction amount other things.

Where can you buy "kopper kote"?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

WmFritz

That's why they call you the "MagicMan."  ;D  Troubleshooting extraordinaire.  ;)

I like Al's tip. I had a can of battery post spray that lasted me for years. If I find me some Kopper Kote, I'd think it would work for that too.  :P

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

elk42

I use it also and  I get it from Granger
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

JustinW_NZ

Anyone have a photo of the newer fuse style holder?
Keen to know what it is and part number if anyone has it.

The fuse block in my mill looks very 'molested' by the previous owner  >:(

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Magicman

What a difference the cleanup and fuse block made, so I guess that this problem had crept up gradually.  I had noticed a Setworks "overload/reset" occasionally and then the last day the red battery lamp would flash when any of the electronics or motors engaged.  Absolutely no problems this morning.   :)

Thank You Sponsors!