iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Comb-Face? Rougher Head?

Started by Knot_Head, July 16, 2013, 06:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knot_Head

I am taking a shot in the dark here with this question, but would like to know so we can produce the look as well.

I work with a lot of western red cedar and we see boards that come through that have a heavy comb-face and some that have just a light combing. Is this done with the depth of cut or are the knifes ground differently? We like the look of the light comb-face for our rough boards.
I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.
—Abraham Lincoln

beenthere

I wonder if you can post a pic or two of the different "comb" looks? I'm curious..

Where are you looking at boards when you say they "come through" ?

If rough lumber, then maybe you are describing a large band sawn face vs a small band sawn face. But interested to find out more.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Knot_Head

Here is a photo of the really rough comb/rougher face

I will get one of the light face, asap.
I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives. I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.
—Abraham Lincoln

Knot_Head

This is the light comb-face finish:

This is the rough comb-face finish:

—Abraham Lincoln

justallan1

I've worked in planer mills that get that effect running them through the planer using rougher head knives. A lot of fencing and decking material use that style and I would imagine that there is different sets of knives for different cuts, although I didn't run the planer so am not positive.

Allan

GAmillworker

The difference is a sharp head and one that is is need of sharpening.  Cedar will tear out if head is not sharp.
Thank the Lord for second chances

Knot_Head

Quote from: GAmillworker on July 17, 2013, 09:43:51 AM
The difference is a sharp head and one that is is need of sharpening.  Cedar will tear out if head is not sharp.
I agree to an extent but not in the above situation. I have no knowledge of roughing / comb-face planer knifes but it looks like light face (which we like) is caused by the knife cutting edges closer together and not ground as tall which leaves a light combed surface.

Can anyone point me in the direction to pick up a couple different blades to try out? I am willing to pay for a custom made knife, if I have to.

—Abraham Lincoln

Peter Drouin

I don't think that look was made with a sawmill. The planer or some thing like it :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

Looks like wire brush treatment or sandblasting to me. But didn't get much info as to where these boards were showing up, or where they came from. So at a loss to figure out what the pics show.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!