iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Accident/injury while building barn

Started by grweldon, September 02, 2015, 03:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Howdy folks.

Had a bit of a mishap last month on Sunday August 9th.

After finishing up the last piece of metal on the roof of my new barn, I had a fall while getting off the roof.  I fell 16' to the ground breaking my right wrist and my pelvis broke in two places.  I was airlifted from the farm in Autaugaville (Alabama) to Montgomery and then on to the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) trauma center.

I had surgery on my wrist two days later then another surgery two days after that to repair my pelvis.

I have been home for the last 16 days. I had my first clinic follow-up yesterday and the images show that all is in place and healing as expected.  I am not allowed to place any weight on my legs and am pretty much confined to bed and a wheelchair for at least the next six weeks. Since yesterday I am allowed to place transfer weight only on my left leg to go from the bed to the wheelchair to the toilet.  Previously I could only use the bedside toilet with assistance transferring from the wheelchair.

The wonderful news is that I have no spinal cord or nerve damage and I will eventually be able to walk as normal, maybe even without a limp. I have very little pain from my pelvis area.  I have more pain from my wrist which has a stainless steel rod embedded under the skin which will eventually be removed.  The hydrocodone pain killers I'm taking do a good job easing the pain but they cause hot and cold flashes that keep me damp from sweating and generally uncomfortable temperature-wise.

I am extremely blessed that my injuries weren't more severe or life-threatening.  I did not even require a blood transfusion during surgeries.

I just wanted to send y'all a message letting you know my status.  I'm going stir-crazy not being able to do anything but I'm hanging in there and I'm in good spirits!

Glen
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Ron Scott

Glen, that was a bad one. Glad that you are on the mend, but take care. At least you finished the barn roof before it happened.
~Ron

78NHTFY

Holy cow, what is going on?  Let's stay safe out there!  Glen, glad to hear you are doing so well given the circumstances.  Only good thing is that with you being confined to bed we'll be getting lots of great FF posts from you   :D :D.  Be well & all the best, Rob.
If you have time, you win....

dnalley

Man, I guess you're  unlucky and lucky at the same time.  16 feet is QUITE A FALL.  Hope everything heals to your satisfaction and you get back on your feet, literally.  Best of luck and be careful.  Your prognosis sounds pretty miraculous, at least to me.

WmFritz

You and Burlcraft must share the same Guardian Angel.
Nice to hear your on the mend, Glen.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

Thanks for the update Glen.  Our prayers have been with you for a full and complete recovery.  Keep us posted even if it is just to say Hi.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mesquite buckeye

Glad you are still with us. Hope the healing goes well. Watch out for that pain killer stuff. It is highly addictive. I'd rather hurt, and usually do. have a good one. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Heal up Glen, it'll take a while but you'll be good as new.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

Good grief!  Be careful!  Hope you heal faster than expected.
Boy, back in my day..

gspren

Wow, that's scary, it also confirms my decision to leave roof work to younger or at least skinnier people. Hope you heal fast and keep your feet on the ground for awhile.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

That is some mighty nice news to hear!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandsawmill14

sorry to hear about your fall but glad you are doing better hope all goes well for you :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

clww

Very sorry to hear about your misfortune. We'll pray you make a full, speedy recovery. Stay off those roofs and ladders.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WV Sawmiller

A big old War Eagle to you. I know that will take 6 weeks off your recovery time. I know you had to go to that other school's hospital but that is the one thing they really do well. Glad they were there for you and hope you heal better and faster than expected with no ill effects.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Glenn1

Glen,

I am sorry to hear about your fall.  I also just built a pole barn but I put my two boys up the roof.  I found out that we don't bounce anymore when we hit the ground.  How do I know?  I fell off a horse this weekend and landed on my back.  Hope you feel better real soon.
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

sawguy21

You guys wanna start taking better care of yourselfs, we are not young and bulletproof anymore.  :o Glen, take care of yourself and give the body a good chance to heal. That could have been a whole lot worse.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

WDH

Glen,

You are lucky.  Just type with your other hand.  I was worried, and I am glad to hear your prognosis. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

NH-Murph

Best wishes for a quick and full recovery.  A hobby to pass the time helps.  I spent quite a bit of time recovering from a bad leg injury, and building remote controlled cars wound up becoming my pass time.  Something you may not ordinarily be into just might become sanity's little helper.  Sometimes the mental frustration can be more painful than the physical damage.  Hang in there and keep your spirits up!

samandothers

Glen
That is bad but glad it was not worse. 

Andy White

Glen,
So glad to hear this news. You took a rough hit !! I feel your pain, just not as much. The more I read about our members, and ladders and falls, I get real antsy. I'm staying on the ground from now on.     Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Left Coast Chris

So glad you are going to be o.k. --- 16' is a long way to fall.    I did a similiar thing a number of years ago and was up high towards the crown changing my tie rope and switched to a rope not tied off.   I flipped backwards but had enough time to re-orient feet first and slid then launched off onto my feet then rolled.    Luckily that side of the roof had a shed connected to the barn and the eve height was only 9' or so.   So not nearly bad as yours.  No injuries on that one.

You probably know this but watch out for the pain meds.   They can be addictive.   My neighbor had back surgery and got addicted to oxycontin (?) and was never mentally the same again and never worked again.   Bad stuff.

Not likely you can read much on the meds but when you can check out "The Ezekiel Option" by Rosenberg.   A great fictional story about likely scenario of the end times based on actual biblical prophesy.    Pretty impacting and interesting.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

edkemper

If you walk away or will walk again from an accident like this, I'd say someone was looking after you. Like landings, any one you walk away from is a successful landing. It's amazing how often we actually cheat death.

God Bless and all speed in healing.
Old Man

Howdy

Healing is a matter of following the Dr's advice and taking care.  Just like you have need of food, healing requires that you also control the pain and discomfort, TAKE your pain meds.  If you are always in pain, your body will not heal as well or as quickly.  Use the meds wisely and follow the directions you have been given.

I hope you recover fully and find a way to handle the boredom.  Sorry for your misfortune.

Chuck White

Hope your recovery goes well!

Seems like Jeff said something like "Forestry Forum members" need to stay off of ladders!   ;)

There sure have been a lot of "falling" accidents lately!  ::)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coxy

Just Me

I feel for ya buddy.

I know what it is like. I fell 30' onto a block pile when I was younger, broke my hip as well, not fun.

Get better soon, and stay off of roofs for a while. ;)

lowpolyjoe

Sorry to hear it.  Sounds like a long recovery ahead.   I hope all goes well for you.

As Left Coast Chris mentioned in an earlier post -  be aware of the dangers of pain meds.  I have been hearing lots of disturbing info lately about how addictive they are and how many lives they ruin.  I'm sure you have good reason to take them with your injuries, but use caution. 

Take Care

fat olde elf

16 feet !!!! Andy White recently posted on his fall and several of us chimed in. But not 16 feet! Glad you are on the mend. Do exactly what the medicos say.  I have encountered several beautiful female MDs over the past few months as a direct result of several falls and other diagnosis. Keep the faith...
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

grweldon

Thank you all for the well wishes! I am following all the doctor's instructions and I am taking as little as possible to get the job done.  I'm taking Hydrocodone which is a level below Oxycodone in potency and addictivness.  I certainly do not want to become addicted to anything!

Yesterday my wrist cast was removed and I was fitted with a removable brace.  I saw the physical therapist who gave me some finger exercises to work on.  It's amazing that I can now actually type with my left hand.  It's slightly painful but good exercise.  I can also crank out a message in about a third of the time!  I still will have another surgery to remove the metal device in my wrist that is now preventing me from bending it.  That will be in about 4 weeks.

As for ladders, I'm not about to stay off them or my roof but you can rest assured that my work methods will certainly change.  I only have the ridge cap left for the roof but I'm going to build a platform to enter/exit the roof.  I would have done that before the accident but I went brain dead and didn't consider that until the last roof sheet was on and there was no easy way to get off the roof.

Of course I won't be doing anything for weeks until I can walk.  Might even be months.  There is no doubt that my carelessness has cost me big-time.  The medical bills will be in the six-figure range.  Glad I have decent insurance.

Thank you all again for the encouragement and get-wells!  I'll certainly do the best I can to comply!

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

grweldon

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 02, 2015, 07:37:43 PM
   A big old War Eagle to you....

Well,well,well....  All I have to say is "Roll Tide"    :laugh:

Magicman

Even with the limitations, that was a good report Glen.  I shutter just thinking about your fall.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sixacresand

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on September 02, 2015, 11:42:26 PM
You probably know this but watch out for the pain meds.   They can be addictive.   My neighbor had back surgery and got addicted to oxycontin (?) and was never mentally the same again and never worked again.   Bad stuff.
I was walking from the feeding horses when a sharp pain hit me in my lower back on Aug 14th.  A week later I am on oxycodone.  for the last 11 days I have been in the hospital to find a way to get the pain under control.  Most of that time was waiting to be off Plavix for 7 days for a myelogram.  This test revealed extreme inflammation of nerve endings which will be treated with steroids.  No surgery needed.  I had a nerve injection this morning and feeling better. Praise God.   One of my biggest fears is the abuse of pain meds and/or lack of safe judgment around the mill.  I plan to get off these meds asap.

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Sixacresand

Glen , I'm glad you are on the road to recovery. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WV Sawmiller

I am almost as distressed that you are a fan of "that other school" as I am about your injuries. Glad you are on the mend. I can help save you some money on the physical therapy. Call Poston and borrow a few of his milk goats and start milking them. I am sure that will be at least as successful as squeezing a rubber ball or pulling on rubber tubing or such.  And you will be accomplishing something at the same time. Remember though - you milk the goats from the back, not the side like a cow. (Just in case they didn't teach that at Tuscaloosa).

Stay well.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I think that they only teach goat milking at Auburn  :) :D. 

Hang in there, Glen. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 04, 2015, 08:27:14 PM
I think that they only teach goat milking at Auburn  :) :D. 

Hang in there, Glen.

Now thats funny.  :D :D :D

WV Sawmiller

WDH,

Its not taught there. We expect you to have learned the basics before you apply.
Howard Green

WDH

WV,

You left yourself wide open on that one  :D. 

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: WDH on September 04, 2015, 08:49:36 PM
WV,

You left yourself wide open on that one  :D. 

Said the man from the state with the bulldog mascot who has been seen on national TV.... Never mind. We all know about imprudent acts from bulldogs and since they are USMC mascot I better stop and take my beating.
Howard Green

grweldon

WDH

You were already cracked up  :D.

Hope you are mending well. 

NH-Murph

The other thing to watch out for with the pain meds is that they can bind you up like you ate a bag of water plug!  Keep putting the fiber to ya and don't be scared to keep some stool softener on hand.  It can get uncomfortable if you just ignore it and hope it will go away... trust me!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

47sawdust

Glen,
I am sorry about your fall and glad to hear your recovery is going well.I am also glad to see so many warnings about the possible dangers of pain killers.Pain relief is very important for rest and recovery but DanG side effects and withdrawal can be very painful.Beware and best wishes for a full recovery.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

WV Sawmiller

Oh great, NH-Murph! On top of confusion about his football team, broken bones and bruises galore and now he has to worry about stopped up plumbing too!

In 1989 I met my dad on the Suannee River where he grew up for a Spring Break fishing trip with my 9y/o son. While there dad would drink a small can of prune juice every night to keep everything flowing. His older brother came by and saw him get one, asked to try one, liked it so he drank another. Dad gave him a 6 pack he took home and he and his wife finished them that night. Was several days before we saw Uncle Jr again and when did he was looking pretty peaked. Dad asked him what had happened to him. Said him and Aunt Ruby had worst case of food poisoning he ever had. After he left Dad that previous night they finished off the prune juice, soiled the sheets and fought over the toilet all night. Dad laughed and told him was the prune juice. Uncle Jr did not know it was a very good natural laxative.

Glen,

I guess what I'm getting at is if UA football doesn't work, try prune juice to stay on top of things.
Howard Green

4x4American

Quote from: NH-Murph on September 05, 2015, 06:43:25 PM
The other thing to watch out for with the pain meds is that they can bind you up like you ate a bag of water plug!  Keep putting the fiber to ya and don't be scared to keep some stool softener on hand.  It can get uncomfortable if you just ignore it and hope it will go away... trust me!

I'm hearing ya there! 
Boy, back in my day..

barbender

Wow, sorry to hear you busted yourself up, Glen :( Get well soon!
Too many irons in the fire

ibseeker

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, 16' is quite a fall. I take it that you haven't been hurt bad in a while? The only reason I ask is because you mentioned something about getting around after the 6 weeks. Don't want to bring you down but the reality is that if you are able to walk at all, be happy! Don't get discouraged because a positive attitude is really helpful in the recovery process. You sound like a positive type of person so it's easy to believe you'll have good success.
As far as the drugs, BE CAREFUL! They gave me morphine...now I know why junkies are always scratching themselves and thirsty. 

Best wishes on a full recovery.
Chuck
worn out poulan, Stihl 250SC, old machete and a bag of clues with a hole in the bottom

grweldon

Y'all are so kind and caring. I appreciate that very much.

as far as the pain meds go, I requested hydrocodone when I was discharged because they wanted to give me oxycodone which is about twice the strength. I'm trying to get down to the minimum amount that will do the job.  I've already experienced some withdrawal already when spacing out doses. It's not fun at all.  On of of my scripts is Polyetheylene glycol, the same thing they give you to drink when you have a colonoscopy toprett well clean you out.  It keeps things flowing pretty well.

I'll be good to go if I can get my restlessness under control.

Thanks folks...take care of yourselves...

Magicman

It's good to see you on here Glen.  I have never been busted up like you were, but "steady the course" seems proper for your recovery.  Here is wishing you the best.   :)

SawyerBrown

Adding to the well-wishes of others, Glen, for a speedy recovery!  16' is quite a drop ...  You know, of course, that it's not the fall that hurts ... its the landing!   :D

I'm tempted to use my favorite quote on you that my Dad used a lot on me ("If you're gonna be stupid, you've gotta be tough"), but sounds like it's not necessary!   :D

Keep us posted on your progress, please!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

grweldon

I would prefer to describe my mistake as "extreme carelessness" and push stupidity to the side.  That being said, It was pretty stupid to be so careless!   ;)

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Jim_Rogers

Beenthere just pointed to this thread about your fall. Glad you're ok and will be some day.
But as a lesson to all of us: "how did it happen?"
You haven't mentioned what happened or what caused you to fall, if you know.

Please tell us the story if it isn't too much about how it happened so we can learn "what not to do".....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

grweldon

Thanks Jim.

I was just released to get out of the wheelchair last week.  I'm recovering quite nicely. I'm going back to work on December 8th, almost exactly 4 weeks from the day I fell.  I'm also suffering secondary injuries from the fall.  My left knee has a severe MCL sprain and both shoulders are in a state of extreme tendinitis at the top of the bicep.  These injuries are now more painful than the broken pelvis and wrist currently are.  Both the wrist and pelvis are completely healed, but getting the weakened muscles back is shape is a bit painful.  I only have about 60% motion in my wrist and I have to stretch it every day to keep it and try to gain more.  That is also painful.  All-in-all I'm very lucky to have recovered so quickly.  I have good insurance, my total medical bills have been over $200,000 and I've only had to pay about $1800 so far.  It will be nice to see a paycheck once again when I get back to work...

Worst thing is that I still have to finish putting the ridge cap on the roof!  I'll be doing it differently, obviously!

Thank you all for your best wishes...

SawyerBrown

Great news!  (Except for all the pain ...).  Be careful as you get back to work!  And thanks for the update.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Thank You Sponsors!