iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Metavic vs Farmi forwarding trailer

Started by oldbones, September 23, 2012, 05:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bill m

Tuolumne, Welcome to the F.F. Where are you located?  For me it wouldn't matter how big of a tractor I had I would get the hydraulic drive. On steep ground brakes can lock up, then you have no control. With the 4wd the wheels are always turning. I have worked ground so steep that all 4 wheels on the tractor were spinning and so was the trailer. Had to back down the hill and get off to one side to get traction. You need two sets of remotes on your tractor. One for the loader and one for the 4wd. You need to match the speed of your tractor to the trailer. To do this on level ground engage the 4wd on the trailer, take the tractor out of gear and let the trailer push you. Then put the tractor in gear and disengage the trailer 4wd and try to match the speed. Another advantage of the 4wd is when trying to back up and turn on a hill. Without the 4wd the trailer wants to jackknife, engage the trailer 4wd and it will pull itself up around the corner.

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

tuolumne

Thank you for the response.  I am in Danby, VT.  I found a used 1150M14 with hydraulic drive and hope to purchase this tomorrow.  Speaking with the owner clarified a lot of questions.  I hope to run the loader off the rear remotes and run the steering and 4wd off the loader hydraulics.  He also mentioned matching ground speed as close as possible to the tractor.  I have 12 speeds to pick from so one should be close.  I may be back with more questions!  It looks like we're embarking on some more serious logging here for better or worse.

David-L

Bill m is right if you are on steep ground, brakes and drive wheels would be a must. I think you have to match the machine to the application and for me I have a skidder also for these steep areas. If this is your sole  forestry tool than probably a good way to go. I would be interested in seeing a pic of your trailer once you get it. Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

nedly05

Wow, I never realized these units were so capable. How many feet can you carry on a load, and how are they in steep ground?

MUDDY

Maybe a dumb question, but with a 30k dollar price tag for just the trailer, why aren't u guys buying a forwarder instead?

thecfarm

Can you even buy a forwarder for 30K? Without it breaking down every few weeks?The ones in this area are BIG. I saw one posted in the timber harvest thread that was not much bigger than a skidder.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

Total payload with my 1150 is 10,000 lbs but length and log diameter will determine what you can handle.  With longer lengths that will increase your haul but it takes time to do a lot of large board feet.  A lot depends on the terrain and how far you are hauling but a full cord is reasonable. Make sure you have enough hydraulic flow to handle everything on your tractor as the slower it is the less performance you will get.   As far a price I am not sure where the 30K number popped up unless you are talking the over-the-highway models. 

I did a custom road trailer (above) with a used 1400 loader for for under 12K.  Good Luck

thecfarm

ahlkey,go back to reply #3 for the size of billm trailer. Looks to be about twice the size of the one you have. And than reply #7 for the price of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ahlkey

The difference between the hauling capacity of the 17RF and 15RF I believe is 12,000 vs 10,000 lbs and about a foot longer and a little wider.  The std trailer sold on the 1150M14 mentioned above would typically be the smaller 15RF given the loader size.  Bill's model if I remember correctly is the larger loader xt1400 model (boom extension) with a 17RF trailer which is not the same in comparsion but I agree the $9K price tag for the hydraulic 4 X 4 option does bring the price tag up significantly.

Thank You Sponsors!