iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Darra James table saw

Started by yukon cornelius, April 17, 2016, 08:37:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

I was auctioning yesterday and came home with a big darra James cabinet saw, a 12 inch craftsman band saw and a radial arm saw. It is in nice shape but needs a bit of fence work. I have my plan to get it back in line. I have been unable to locate a model number. It came with a 10" blade but looks like a 12 will easily fit. I read of a 3\4" arbor on them. Does anyone know of a 1" to 3\4" arbor bushing for a 12" blade? Can a 10 inch blade be safely drilled from5/8 to 3\4"? 

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

I tried kinda unsuccessfully drilling out a 5½" blade.  :-\

My thoughts are that you might be more successful reaming out the hole rather than drilling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

yukon cornelius

Not a bad idea! That may be more successful

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

yukon cornelius

I never even considered having them drill one. I can get stuck on box store availability some times.

dnalley

You won't get a round hole with a drill bit.  Better have it bored.

Dan_Shade

Would a step drill or unibit work?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

dnalley

Don't know what a uni bit is but a drill just doesn't make a truly round hole.  Looks good till you really give it a close look.  Sometimes looks sorta triangular shaped if you really look it over.  I would hope for a closer tolerance for a blade running on an arbor.  Just my opinion.

Savannahdan

Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

yukon cornelius

Yesterday I reamed out a 10" blade and put it to work. I ended up swapping wings from one side to the other for a wider cut. With a bit of reworking on the fence this will be a huge upgrade. The far end of the fence was missing some parts and had some homebrew repair that I don't care for so I am redoing it. Next I want to add more to the table to have at least 48 inches of cutting surface.

ozarkgem

Blades are pretty hard metal. Boring with a carbide cutter would work. I don't think a unibit will hold up. Glad you scored big at the auction.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

hackberry jake

I also have a 12" table saw with a 3/4" arbor. I usually use 10" blades that have been cut from 5/8" hole to 3/4". The best way is to use a milling machine with a rotary table. Perfectly round and perfectly centered. Send yours to me and I'll mill em and send em back. You could also use shaper bushings to bush a 1" blade down to 3/4".There might even be something that'll work in that molding head set I sent you.

Never mind. There's nothing that goes up to 1" in those sets.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!