iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's Impressions

Started by Magicman, February 16, 2018, 05:58:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

We often try to answer questions from new or potential sawyers asking about "tricks of the trade" as they weigh their options about whether to take the step toward buying a sawmill and starting a business.

One item that is seldom mentioned is "selling yourself".  Communications with the customer whether by phone, text, or email need to be accurate and convey to the customer that you are a professional and as such are fully capable of meeting the customer's sawing needs.  That does not imply that you should overstate your capabilities.  Be upfront and honest.

When you drive up to the customer's location, do so in a relatively clean and well organized truck.  Meet the customer with a firm handshake and present him with with business card.  Look around and make favorable comments about his operation and take the time to chat and discuss his lumber needs.  Discuss the cut list and be sure that you understand his expectations.

There is little that makes a more favorable impression than unloading quality tools and work item from your truck.  I regularly get comments such as; "wow those are high quality cant hooks" when they see the Logrite tools.  (I wonder what they would think if you unload a black taped up wood handled tool that makes a junky impression.)

Wear presentable clothes and a wear a Wood-Mizer, TimberKing, Stihl, Logrite, Forestry Forum, etc. hat/cap.  I could have named them all but you get the idea.

I am just saying that we are professionals and if we present ourselves as such, we will be accepted as such. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

I know first impressions is important, but then again that means different things in different parts of the country, some places they will be just glad you showed up, much less be presentable.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WV Sawmiller

Lynn,

All good points.

I always try to give my mill a good washdown before I take it on a job (and after I return from one). I almost always get good comments on the appearance of the mill.  One of the first things I unload and put into position at the head of the mill is a fire extinguisher and I make sure to show it to the customer and tell him if things go wrong why it is there. I then give them a brief safety lecture and point out the more hazardous areas of the work and offer them a pair of gloves if they don't have a pair on.

I briefly discuss stacking and stickering for best long term results. We discuss off-bearing and where to put the slabs, flitches, lumber, sawdust, etc. Then I make sure they understand the billing and how charges are computed.

Then I place selected items at standard places where I find them useful such as a short cant hook for turning small logs and cants on the mill (when such is faster and easier than using the claw), my 12" dry wall knife, spray bottle of ATF, Carpenter's Square, leaf blower, etc.

All this only takes a few minutes and we start on a good footing.

When I get my calls from potential customers I probably send as many away as I take because they want something I can't or do not want to provide, they do not know what they want and have expectations that are unrealistic, they clearly want the wrong kind of wood for the applications, etc. I have a list of other business in the area who I refer such people to if I cannot provide the product or service they need or in some cases just because the other party is closer and better able to provide the service than I can. I tell people of a counterpart who can cut a 50" slab if needed, a guy with a team of mules if they need low impact help getting logs off their place, tree service people with skills and equipment to drop yard trees, etc.

I'd rather refuse the job than ruin my reputation.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Kbeitz

Ahhh... You mean I can't use my junkyard tools and my Sanford and son pickup?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

Yeah and next time you should probably try to wear two matching boots. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

starmac

Appearance has a lot to do with what part of the country you are in. I needed a flywheel once in Arizona on a sunday. I had a worthless brother in law that knew of a business that the owner lived on the premises. I had heard of the place even in New Mexico, the guy was big in jeeps and x army vehicles. Since my bil knew him we went over there, his place had a short picket fence in front and a locked gate, we stood there and he yelled for him, he walked out and headed towards us, I told my bil to get in the pickup, we are out of here.

I truly thought theguy was NAKED, but my BIL claimed he had a tan speedo on, and we were in Arizona, I needed to get used to it. I told him I would drive back to New Mexico to get what I need before I buy anything from that dude. lol

I picked up a 13 year old runaway on the interstate once. I thought it was a girl, but it turned out to be a boy, anyway I called the law, we lived in a one leo town and it was technically his day off. He came into my shop and ask about the kid, wearing shorts a mickey mouse T shirt and his gun belt. I ask what he thought he was doing dressed like that and sent him home to get dressed before I turned the kid over to him.

Ron Wenrich

I think it all depends on your clientele base.  In my forester days, I met many different types of land owners.  My first impression was to look like I was ready for work.  I didn't show up in a suit, but I didn't wear shorts and a T shirt.  I also drove a middle-of-the-road type of truck.  I didn't want something really expensive, and I didn't want a rust bucket.  The impression could be that either you charge a lot, or you don't know what you're doing.

When I went to mills, it was the same.  I looked like I was ready to work.  I had some guys that I had to take around to mills, and they dressed down to jeans.  But, they still didn't look like they were ready to work.  They usually didn't relate too well with mill operators.  You could always tell a salesman as soon as they stepped foot in the mill areas.

After appearance, you need to have a presentation that you at least know what you're talking about.  At the landowner level, I had to explain about different management techniques.  Many were just impressed that I knew what type of trees they had.  They also needed to know that I was knowledgeable in marketing.  At the mill level, I needed to know the basics of the industry, and some of the fringe areas like niche markets.  I also had to know what most of the equipment did, and how to operate it.  I also had to be receptive to other ideas, knowing that I was providing a service, and that required that I would try to meet the client's interests. 

As far as equipment, I've used many a cant hook with black tape.   That could be a mark of frugality or poverty.  Organization and cleanliness would be proper, no matter how old or worn the equipment is.  Most people I've worked with have been more impressed with results than with appearance or presentation.  You don't want to come off as all hat and no cattle.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

longtime lurker

*sighs*

Mostly my work clothes are black from sap/grease/diesel. Its the climate - aprons are impossible - so I just wear and wash and wear but after a couple wearings a shirt just looks dirty straight from the wash. And I'm forever rolling around under something here with spanners or a grease gun in hand.
And I tear shirts all the time. Or burn a hole in them, or lose buttons or ... my shirts dont seem to last long at all.

And with Mary away I tend to wind up with whiskers. I figure I dont have to kiss my customers anyway and I had a beard for a long time so I just revert to scruffy and unkempt looking. With a few ribs hanging out like a stray in need of a feed, and probably in need of a haircut as well. I'm paid to cut wood, not make a fashion statement.

All in all I guess I'm just a disheveled and disreputable looking kinda character. I dont have much customer contact anyway but it dont seem to stop us selling wood. As Starmac said, appearance can be location influenced and this here is home to more millionaires per head of population then anywhere else in this country... and a lot of those millionaires sweat it out in the mud all day with their men, and a lot of them go barefoot because of the mud, and by the end of a day you cant tell whos the prince and whos the pauper.

My boots at least are mostly pretty good, i dont much mind what the clothes look like but I cannot abide bad boots so theres a pretty fair turnover of those.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Cedarman

No matter how you are dressed, wear a big smile. :) :) :)
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kbeitz

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 16, 2018, 07:29:15 PM

After coming out of the muddy junkyard there is no way you could tell that my boots don't match. Ha...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

GAB

Quote from: Kbeitz on February 17, 2018, 08:42:19 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 16, 2018, 07:29:15 PM

After coming out of the muddy junkyard there is no way you could
tell that my boots don't match. Ha...

Just tell them you have another pair just like them at home!
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

bags

Magic hits on a good point of "selling yourself".

I don't move my mill much cause I mainly mill material for furniture. I keep my yard in order--- I want a client to know their pulling into a lumber yard and not a junk yard--- that makes a "big" first impression. After folks tell you what their looking for, I always ask what project their working on--- and let them "talk".

You'd be surprised at how many people really don't know what they really want, and think a board is a board. Being friendly and offering free information about different cuts of lumber goes a long way in selling yourself and your outfit. Quarter sawn for face frames--- riff sawn for table legs, and so on has the client feeling hes getting something for free and you really do know your *stuff.LOL.

I have a lot of completion for wide LE flitches up here, so I have to sell my mill work, and sell myself to keep folks coming back.

Saw on fellas.

Crossroads

My customers get a pint of honey from my bees with my business card. That always gets a smile 😀
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Jeff

What must come first?  More customers, or more bees?  :D :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

The related topics function led me back to something I posted years ago.

Should you trust your first impression? [VIDEO]

paul case

Good info here. Thanks for the reminder.

I think the appropriate atire would be clothes that are clean when you start the day. If they aren't dirty or at least dusty when you finish did you acomplish anything?

I have many clients that are happy we are here providing a service. My best advertising is I have sawed for a few other mills that do not custom saw for the public. When they get calls and they get a few they send them my way. I would say 1/2 of my first time customers are that way.

My $.02 worth. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

I make sure I'm cleaned up every night before I jump in bed. But If I put on clean clothes every day before I went back to the weld shop my wife would never catch up to her clothes washing's. Guess I'm not good at making a good impressions because she says I'm always dirty. It's what I do. There is no way I can work on junkyard stuff everyday and stay clean. Just think... 200 years ago most homes had no baths. So like it or not if you stop in to see me I might have dirty clothes on. It's just me and I'm not afraid to admit it and I'm not ashamed of it. Under my dirty clothes is a clean person or as clean as I can be...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

A few years ago I picked up a load in Florida, going to a new Sams club they were building in Arizona. After securing the load I went in t get the paperwork, and the elderly woman listed off the rules for unloading which was a dress code. mainly consisted of leather shoes or boots and long pants. I  responded real serious like with, Mam, I have been doing this a long time and never once have I ever delivered a load without putting my pants on first. She got a big funny grin and said you would be suprised how many drivers show up in shorts and flip flops.

It got even funnier when I delivered the load, at the gate on the construction site, they had a gal on an elevated stand, where she could take my paperwork without me opening the doors on my truck, and give me instructions.
Instructions included the leather shoes, and long pants, plus the normal ppe, hard hat,safety glasses and vest, and I was to not for any reason get out of my truck. Their crew would unstrap my load and roll up the straps and lay them on my trailer, I could stop in the parking lot after coming back through the gate. I also had to sign paper work, stating I would not sue them if I wound up getting hurt.
I told her I wanted the load off of my truck, BUT if they hurt me sitting inside my truck, with all the ppe gear on, I was going to sue for everything I could get.
She laughed and said that document was not worth the paper it was written on and they knew it, but still required us to sign it.

PAmizerman

My biggest thing with customer relations is make sure you return phone calls. It doesn't matter if you can't do it or Don't want to do it. I return all phone calls. I've had a lot of customers over the years and I can't even count how many times I've heard. " Thanks for calling me back you are the only mill that called me back".  And most of the time I end up with a job out of it because I'll take the time to let them know what I would be able to do. People remember business that make time for them. Just my 0.02
And yes I believe appearance matters just as much.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

WV Sawmiller

K,

I think the point is to look and act professional on arrival then follow through on the job. We should dress and act appropriately for the work or service we are expected to perform. How I look when I first arrive and what I look like 1 minute after I start sawing the first log with the wind blowing sawdust in my face  will be totally different. Anybody who sees me working should expect to see a little dust and dirt because that is the nature of the work.

I think a new customer does have a right and should expect to see me arrive on the scene with well maintained equipment, the right tools for the job, proper (even if worn down a bit) clothes for the job, the right safety equipment, etc. for the job we are doing. If I don't I can expect to have "come from behind" to prove myself whereas if I do I at least start with a favorable impression and just have to maintain it.

If I pulled up to your junk yard to buy a part or some used equipment and you showed up in a fresh pressed coat and tie, based on the nature of the work, I'd figure you were some sort of shyster but if I spotted you in sturdy, worn work clothes and you welcomed me, asked what you could do for me then warned me about the hazards of the work site as we walked around I would be most likely be very favorably impressed.

I always heard "You only have one chance to make a first impression."

PA,

You nailed that. Failure to promptly return a phone call is a pet peeve of mine. If I'm out of town several days I still call and apologize and explain and see if they still need to talk. I think failure to respond is one of the most unprofessional traits people can exhibit.
Howard Green

Crossroads

Quote from: Jeff on February 17, 2018, 12:11:34 PM
What must come first?  More customers, or more bees?  :D :)

Lol, right now I have more bees than customers. When I get to the point that I need to get more hives. I'll be able to leave my day job.

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Dave Shepard

I try to meet customers looking like a Sasquatch with a toothache. If that doesn't scare them off, then they just might be my kind of people.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SawyerTed

I spent 30 years in vocational education and we taught exactly what Magicman is saying.  Remember FFA jackets?  VICA//SkillsUSA red Blazers?

We taught students that being skilled isn't enough-looking and behaving as a professional are equally important to being successful.

Appropriate is the key word-appropriate dress for the work you do but as professional looking as possible for that work. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Grizzly

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 17, 2018, 05:05:30 PM
I try to meet customers looking like a Sasquatch with a toothache. If that doesn't scare them off, then they just might be my kind of people.  :D

:D :D  Your obstinate enough you make me wonder if I might get along with you just fine!  But........... I couldn't do it that way.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Grizzly

When I was in dispatch/sales/fleet manager position my customers never saw me. All business was done by phone/email/fax. But I noticed if I dressed the part I played the part much better. Many customers thanked me that I didn't need foul language and dirty jokes to have a laugh. It's all been said I think.......
-make sure to return phone calls
-do not spend time telling customers what you can't do; rather spend time telling them what you can do.
-first impressions are important
-knowledge is important
-good attitude is critical

Once upon a time (2001) I parked my rig and headed into the office to drop paperwork and such and the general manager saw me. Not realizing I was a driver he looked puzzled and asked if I was a new hire. I said no, I was a driver. He laughed and said you won't last long, you're dressed too well. I did not appreciate many of the drivers I had to be with out on the road, mainly in truck stops.

Kbeitz

blue-collar worker, whose job requires manual labor and a pink-collar worker, whose labor is related to customer interaction,

I hate the color pink... Just doesn't fit my style.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Grizzly

Remember back in the late 80's or there abouts when the fad hit? You could where pink if you were a real man? Some of my friends looked ridiculous trying to prove their manhood!!   :D :D

Kbeitz

All in fun and games... I'm not prejudiced.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

irvi00

PA, you are dead on. Returning calls if you want to or not is a must. Even if you can't help them, they appreciate a response. I try to keep a neat, orderly yard. I try my best to have a clean appearance, but depending on what has broke that day will decide just how dirty or greasy I am. My downfall is dipping snuff. I know its gross and I try to hide it anytime a customer approaches. (I try not to spit at his feet).  But I think the main thing is to be attentive to customer requests, no matter how outlandish it may be. Explaining exactly what you can and cannot do.

Magicman

I have sawed many jobs that the customer told me that I was the only one that returned the phone call.  Many of them later became repeat jobs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

Grizzly, I have never heard of a dispatcher that would ever tell a customer there was anything their driver couldn't do.

A few years ago, a terminal manager for a large company I did a lot of hauling for ask, if I knew of a good dispatcher that would be interested in a job. I told him I had never even heard of a good dispatcher.

moodnacreek

Dirty hands make clean money. You should not show up looking like a slob, you should show some pride and be respectful. However a guy with a big smile, business card and everything matching is a fake who is looking for money and doesn't saw much wood. an extreme example: the best saw hammerer by far I ever knew worked out of a rusted out step van, had a few hammers and straight edges and a big anvil, no stretcher roll. He welded shoulders with a torch . He was dedicated to his profession; repairing mill saws. The only way to judge someone is to find out their reputation.

Ron Wenrich

I'd like to add that you should be on time.  Nothing worse than having a client waiting on you, and you're 15 minutes late.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rjwoelk

I taught guiding one summer. It was horse related. So packing  horses. To camp set up cooking for clients. The one thing i told my students was to watch their mouth. Polite virtuous words never lost a client. But off colored jokes or foul language is guaranteed to at some point.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

dgdrls

Some key points have been made, time and communication.

Look at Magicman's Avatar, speaks volumes to what his customers have reported back to him

No matter what you do,  IMHO,  there is no reason not to put your best foot forward
when engaging a customer.
A great first experience often leads to word of mouth advertising which no amount of money
can buy.

D

DMcCoy

Great topic MM, I couldn't agree more.

Returning phone calls - I cannot believe how many times I have customers thanking me for returning phone calls.  What?  This has got to be the lowest bar on the customer service scale,  so low in fact you should trip and fall over it.  But here we are 2018 and if you want to stand out- return phone calls.

Had the head buyer for the best garden center in PDX once tell me "you guys are great, I place an order and you show up".  Seriously, this makes us great, showing up with their order? Makes me wonder what everyone else is doing, I hope they keep doing it. :)

This topic just saved you thousands in business school expenses.

terrifictimbersllc

Been searching this thread to see if I have to get a new truck.   :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

DMcCoy

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 18, 2018, 08:43:47 AM
Been searching this thread to see if I have to get a new truck.   :D

yes, you need one! :D

Don P

A friend once said "If I don't call you back, send flowers  :D"

Crossroads

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on February 18, 2018, 05:54:22 AM
I'd like to add that you should be on time.  Nothing worse than having a client waiting on you, and you're 15 minutes late.
If I'm not 15 min. Early, they get a phone call.

Crossroads

A question I hear more than any other is "will you travel to xyz" and so for, I've been able to respond with absolutely. At some point I'm sure I'll get a call that would be unrealistic to travel for, but I can always come on here and help them find someone to fill their needs.

Magicman

So far I have not declined a sawing job because of distance.  I state my Travel and Setup fee and that if the distance is greater than ~60 miles I expect lodging or a daily traveling allowance.  Since potential customers know where I am located before they call this is not unexpected and most respond with something like; that is reasonable enough.  My last job was 230 miles away ($345 T&S) and he provided lodging.

I am very reluctant to recommend another sawyer because I may have no idea regarding their quality of sawing.  If I recommend him and the job is ratty, it may very well reflect badly on me because of my recommendation.  I am not willing to take that chance.

starmac

I reckon it wouldn't be too cool to show up with a beer in my hand huh.

GAB

Quote from: starmac on February 18, 2018, 04:22:14 PM
I reckon it wouldn't be too cool to show up with a beer in my hand huh.

Only if it's a Root Beer and you enough for the customer and the helpers.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Magicman

I would think that a Moxie would be OK.   ;D

Kbeitz

I don't really care if I don't impress someone. If they don't like me for what I am then I really don't want to hang with that kind of person anyway. I have way more dirty looking friends than I do snazzy looking ones anyway. They just seem like nicer people. Snazzy goes with rich and the rich is not normally nice people. Don't get mad... Just my 00.2
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Jeff

This topic is not about making friends, its about doing business and garnering customers.

69bronco

GAB

Quote from: Magicman on February 18, 2018, 05:29:51 PM

I would think that a Moxie would be OK.   ;D

I don't ever remember having one of those, so I can not say anything about moxie.
It might be ok.
Gerald

Dave Shepard

I've never tried Moxie, but I was told kerosene would do in a pinch. That's was not what I would call an endorsement.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

thecfarm

If someone gave me one I would have a lifetime supply. Kinda like grits.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Resonator

I think in this day and age if you want to establish a full time business, you must make it one of your goals to create a professional looking webpage/site for your business. A business card is a good start, but a webpage can showcase your service. You can advertise what you DO and DO NOT DO, location, equipment you use, pictures, wood products (if you sell wood), and customer success stories 24/7. Also being able to E-mail a customer to answer questions, show job progress pictures, issues encountered, final bill total, etc., is very helpful.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Yes, we are in the website age.  Probably 50%+ of my calls/inquiries and 100% of the ones over ~30 miles are all internet/media related.

Tom the Sawyer

A presence on the internet is extremely important.  A web site is best but, if you don't want that investment, at least consider social media (even for an old guy like me.)  In addition to my site, I use Facebook mostly, and am getting more active with Instagram.  There are other options too.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is logo wear.  Every milling appointment, site visit, trade group/program; I'm wearing a t-shirt, polo, sweatshirt, or jacket with my company name and what I do.  My wife reminds me that I do have other clothes, but I usually have logo wear on.  Wherever we go,  I see people reading my shirts or jacket,.  A couple of times a month someone will make a comment or ask a question... they always get a card.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Papa1stuff

Moxie,My Mother used to drink that years ago, it's the worst tasting soft drink in the world,  Makes my mouth pucker just to see the word  ;D ::)
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

moosehunter

As I am reading this I received a call,  10 days ago I talked with a guy about some business. I am the customer. He said I'm going on vacation,  I'll call you on the 19th when I get back. He did. That as we all know is not the norm. I too often get a thank you just for returning a call.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

paul case

I had a lady that bought a bundle of slabs from me here at the mill tell me she had been here twice and didnt catch me. So I  gave her one of my business cards which said'' Case sawmill, we saw our logs or yours into almost any dimension. 918 542 4008.''

She looked right at me and said'' I dont understand what you do here''.

I simply told her'' that is my number and she can call next time to see if I am here .''

I have quit advertising and no longer keep business cards. We are busier than we want to be.

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

WV Sawmiller

Tom,

Good point. In the original post Lynn mentioned wearing hats or such with our mill or FF logo on them. I have a bunch of hats with my sawmill business logo on it that my wife made. She has an embroidery program on her fancy quilting and sewing machine and made a personal logo for me. which she put on several hats for me. I always wear them when I go to a sawing job and most of the rest of the time. I have a couple of heavy shirts she made I wear on occasion but they are too nice for work shirts, at least for sawing in, but I can sometimes wear them to a site survey if I am just going to meet a new customer and checking out his logs and site. That's another thing I often do to make sure the site and logs are suitable and to help the customer understand how they need to stage the logs and such for ease of sawing.

Howard Green

Magicman

Yup, I always wear my Knothole Sawmill hat to the job.  When the work begins I replace it with a Wood-Mizer hat because I have several of them and don't mind throwing them in the washing machine.

Hot weather finds me wearing my Knothole Sawmill T-Shirts especially the first sawing day.  I may then alternate with a Wood-Mizer, Logrite, or a Stihl T-Shirt.

Winter sawing lets me wear my Wood-Mizer jackets.

Tom the Sawyer

I know, no picture - didn't happen (first reply was on my tablet).

My standard colors are forest green or orange.  Others were for family members, colors by request.

07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

terrifictimbersllc

Magicman, and maybe some others out there, you switched over to a newer truck not too long ago.   Wondering if you manage to keep it clean, any advice along those lines.  I have to take a leaf blower to mine to clean it out, to be honest it crossed over into the "work truck" category a number of years ago.  The thought of sawing with a new truck- which I am having more often lately- and having it look like the old one, is giving me pause.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Resonator

A lot of my shirts are high vis. safety green, from working for years where I was required to wear it. While not necessarily needed to run a mill, it is a good idea to stand out so the operator can see you if you are directing heavy machinery, or in a construction/logging area.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Magicman

Dennis, Yes, the truck was bought new in 2012.  I gave the 2002 Toyota Tundra to Marty and he is still getting sawdust out of it.   :-\

No matter how well you dust off, the truck's interior is a sawdust magnet.  I always close the truck doors, windows, and also my tool box when sawing but they still collect sawdust.  I have a 120vac leaf blower that I use to try to blow it out.  All 4 doors open and I alternate from side to side and door to door to occasionally clean it as best I can.  After blowing comes the vacuum and lastly a Swiffer Duster which does a fine job of removing the dust. 

After I complete the cleaning, the inside looks like it is ready for a good cleaning.   ::)   :-\

paul case

That is kinda how I clean. Just so that when we finish someone(not me) could actually get it clean from there.

The elementary and middle school kids at my church had an outing and We fed them carry out pizza for lunch yesterday. I went and picked it up and it really smelled my truck up good so I knew I was riding alone the rest of the day so when we finished we put the empty pizza boxes back in my truck. 13 of them. IMO it is better than a any car scent you can buy. I burned the boxes this morning and my pickup still has that new pizza smell!!!!!

PC
pc

SawyerTed

COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY QUOTE REMOVED.

Pizza smell and chicken wings is awesome!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Crossroads

I need step up my game from the look of those hats, shirts and coats. One of my customers designs websites for a living and has offered to help me get set up in the interweb. 

I get why your saying about recommending another sawyer MM. 

moosehunter

I give one of my t-shirts to customers on larger jobs. 
mh

moosehunter

Magicman

I couldn't do that because after a week I wouldn't have one for myself.  :-X

Don P

The Moxie pic brought a memory up. I was GC'ing on a job one time and had an outside sub crew working there, the guys were like ants on a cookie. Crane, Lulls, bobcats and people all over the frame, high danger. I was running ragged all day trying to keep up and keep an eye on things. After everyone left and I was walking around cleaning up and checking on things I glanced down in the basement hole and saw cans I didn't recognize. Uh-oh. I went down and had to laugh, they had been slamming those high caffeine power drinks all day.

Thank You Sponsors!