iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2018

Started by Magicman, July 21, 2018, 08:10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Yup, it's time to start thinking about this Fall/Winter's hunt.  Marty, Grandson Luke, and I went to the Cabin this morning to start the initial preparations.

I did a bit of herbicide spraying to kill the grasses and weeds in the plots that will be seeded with Oats and Wheat.

I do not provide any corn or other supplemental feed but obviously my neighboring landowners do.  It seems that deer have eaten corn somewhere and then "planted" it here in my food plot, probably will some "fertilizer" too.

After this vegetation dies I will bushhog it to the ground before subsoiling, disking, and planting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

samandothers

Wow that is a big area to spray! Good equipment to ease the burden but that is a big area to spray!

Southside

You sure that's corn Lynn? At first I thought Milo, but then the seed head in the middle of the second photo said Johnson Grass. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Yes there is Johnson Grass which is primarily what I was spraying for. 

Milo, I think that you hit upon something because I did see a seed head that I wondered about.  Actually a couple of seed heads are visible in the picture.  This makes sense that a few Milo seed were mixed in with either the Oat or Wheat seed when I planted.  I saw the wide leaves and thought Corn without really examining the stalks very closely.  Thanks for the sharp eye. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I will spend several days at the Cabin next week getting the food plots subsoiled, disc, and planted. 

Only one month and Marty and I will be leaving on our Colorado Elk Hunt.  No time to waste.

Magicman

Got a kinda late start this morning but I should be able to finish tomorrow.  I sprayed herbicide on July 21st so the grass was already dead.

First I bushhogged the dead grass to sorta tear it up.

The single tooth subsoiler does a good job on the initial breaking before discing.  I have one more small patch to subsoil in the morning before I start discing.

PatD had a Prime Strip medium rare with the fixin's ready when I quit for the day. food3

Magicman

Subsoiling finished so this morning it was a simple matter to disc all of the food plots.

A hopper full of Bob Oats and Wheat, covered and done.  Well that was until a Grandson decided that he wanted to plant an opening in the woods.

Unfortunately it had not been sprayed but I still did the bushhog, subsoil, and discing. He hand planted, I covered, and then we called it finished.  Now we need a Magic Buck to show up.

I'll check my rifles' zero and do some shooting tomorrow getting ready for Colorado in October. 

LaneC

Good thing you do not have any Cogongrass. That stuff is miserably bad down here.  It is so invasive, it is unreal. I hope you do not get that anywhere up there. The plots look great.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Magicman

I planted on September 21, and this is the first time that I have seen it since then.

This looks good!!  Happy Happy Happy!!   

Magicman

I should finish bushhogging this evening since I only have about 15 more acres left.  So far it's Bushhog 1 and rattlesnake 0.    :o

Magicman

I did finish the bushhogging and this is in the Strawfield looking toward the food plot.  The Strawhouse is directly behind me.

The final snake count was Bushhog 1, Rattleshake 0, and Cottonmouth 1.  Yup, when the Cottonmouth realized that it was going to be a battle with the tractor/bushhog, it checked out.

My "Sweetie" did bring me some refreshments.  Now for you tree guys, what are the saplings that I am bushhogging?  Some are over 6' tall and that is this year's growth.  I am gonna have to give them a shot of 2,4-D Amine next year.

Jeff

Now you need just the perfect amounts of rain this year.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

It's raining now so I just might make a trip over about Tuesday and top dress with Ammonia.

OntarioAl

I see that a rattlesnake with an aggressive nature has been removed from the gene pool, too bad the cottonmouth was a wus  and ran. ;D
cheers
Al
Al Raman

Jeff

Bricklayer51

Now that there is funny I don't care you are.

Magicman

Yup and oftentimes "Magic Bucks" get the last laugh.  :D

Jeff

Magicman

I top dressed the food plots with ammonia today.

If you scrolled back you would see that all of the food plot prep pictures have been taken from this same spot with one exception when the Grandson was planting.

The Strawhouse even said that it was ready for Deer Season.  ;D

Magicman

I am not happy with what I found today because Army Worms have wrecked havoc with my food plots.

Here is my Strawfield food plot on October 4th.  The young Oats and Wheat are 4"-6" tall.

And here is the same food plot today.  I top dressed it with Ammonia on October 9th so it should have been thick and close to 10" tall.

The only thing that is green is junk weeds that have sprouted after I planted.  I found no Oats nor Wheat.  :-\

Jeff

Magicman

They did it quick.  The trail camera pictures show that there was grass on the 12th and gone on the 17th.  :-\

Thankfully both the Strawfield and the Back plots naturally have a good stand of Fescue which will serve until whatever else may still come up.  I may hand seed Rye which will sprout without being tilled/covered.

Southside

Can you get some crimson clover and toss that in too?  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Probably but it would not come up until Spring.

Southside

Around here if I plant Crimson until early October it will come up the same year, and leaf out, then come spring it will take off.  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!