iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Poverty Meal?

Started by No_Dude, August 07, 2018, 12:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

There are things you cant find anywhere but a septic tank, but i dont recommend you try it. 
Praise The Lord

thecfarm

How right you are.
Eyeballs and all I eat. Beef eyeballs taste better than chicken  eyeballs. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coalsmok

When I was in college it was whatever the 22mag could collect to ease the grocery bill

WLC

Cant believe none of yall has said anything about soup beans and cornbread, or cornbread and milk.  Have eaten both of those a lot growing up.  Not a huge fan of cornbread and milk any more, but the wife loves it.  I could eat soup beans and cornbread nearly ever night.  Growing up we ate good, or at least I never remember being hungry.  Momma and daddy always had a garden, we raised our own hogs and went in halvers with a neighbor on growing out beef every year.  Back then I stayed in the woods or the creek almost all the time.  We ate a lot of wild game and fish too.  Guess you could say it wasn't "poverty" food, but simple food.  The kind I still like over most anything "fancy".
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

WV Sawmiller

When I moved to WV I found a very common meal here was brown beans and cornbread. Sounds like or very similar to WLC meal above except for the milk. I had never eaten brown (Pinto) beans in N. Fla except in Chili when we could not get red (Kidney) beans. We cannot normally get dry butterbeans, and even BE Peas are often out of stock in our local grocery stores, but we can buy brown beans in 100 lb sacks. WalMart super Centers will have several hundred lbs out in bulk where the customer just buys a scoop or two.

Brown beans and cornbread is commonly sold as a meal in local restaurants and is even provided as a school lunch meal.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Texas Ranger

Quote from: WLC on November 19, 2018, 06:54:27 PM
Cant believe none of yall has said anything about soup beans and cornbread, or cornbread and milk.  Have eaten both of those a lot growing up.  Not a huge fan of cornbread and milk any more, but the wife loves it.  I could eat soup beans and cornbread nearly ever night.  Growing up we ate good, or at least I never remember being hungry.  Momma and daddy always had a garden, we raised our own hogs and went in halvers with a neighbor on growing out beef every year.  Back then I stayed in the woods or the creek almost all the time.  We ate a lot of wild game and fish too.  Guess you could say it wasn't "poverty" food, but simple food.  The kind I still like over most anything "fancy".
The same with me growing up in Missouri, back then quail, rabbit and fish were a staple, as well as rice.  We didn't know we were poor, half acre of garden for us and mom canned enough to last us a year, mom and dad lived like the Great Depression was coming back next week, created a mind set in us kids.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

burtle

mac and cheese. still around .59 a box in my area
Never Give Up

Woodpecker52

Plain ole peanut butter and bread. It has been said this will keep you alive on nothing more.  I say throw in a banana for desert.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

mike_belben

I have created a new favorite poverty meal.  Since we have most of it on hand, i consider it a $2 dinner plus leftovers for next day.  and i feel im eating like a king.

2 packets of $1.00 rice or noodle sides, those paper pounch ones where you just dump it into water.   Start that boiling then i dump the "steak tip" chunks of venison into a small pot greased with bacon lard for flavor.  I always have bags of this deer chunk meat. too good to grind but not good enough for a steak. Its good for stew but i never have the time or ingredients and the kids whining for dinner calls for something quick. Brown the meat chunks and dose it with your seasonings of choice while its sizzling.  I do salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, a squirt of sweet baby rays BBQ sauce and a splash of water.  This will all meld into a meat gravy on its own.  

The rice takes 7 minutes and the meat is like 5.  Dump the meat and sauce pot into the rice/noodle pot, stir and scoop it into bowls then tell the kids to shut up and eat before you finish their bowl. So delicious. 
Praise The Lord

WDH

A can of Alaska pink salmon.  Drain and add one egg, and plenty of chopped onions.  Add breadcrumbs with a splash of halh-n-half, salt, pepper, and make patties.  Fry golden brown with just a bit of oil in a nonstick pan.  Serve with some oven potatoes and maybe add some green peas if you like.  . 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mike_belben

That sounds pretty good.  Youre saying stir this mix all up in a bowl then patty it right?
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Danny,

Instead of salmon you can use corned beef (although with last I bought may not qualify as a poverty meal) and make patties out of them too.

Another way to use corned beef is throw it in the frying pan and dice up an egg sized onion and fry them till the onion is done and the cb is hot and starting to get a little crispy. Toast some bread, slice a mater, slather the toast good with mayo and add the CB&onions for sandwiches.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

lxskllr

Quote from: WDH on December 08, 2018, 10:24:30 PM
A can of Alaska pink salmon.  Drain and add one egg, and plenty of chopped onions.  Add breadcrumbs with a splash of halh-n-half, salt, pepper, and make patties.  Fry golden brown with just a bit of oil in a nonstick pan.  Serve with some oven potatoes and maybe add some green peas if you like.  .
My mother makes those, and they're fantastic. Funny thing is I'm never enthusiastic when she says that's what she's making, but when they're on the plate, it's the best food in the world.

WDH

Mike,

Yes, stir it all up with a fork so that it does not get too dense.  Make patties.  Also called croquets.

Howard,

I like corned beef from the can mixed with copious chopped onions and browned in the skillet.  Good on anything. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

In thinking back, hunting and fishing was our poverty meal, just didn't know it at the time.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

LeeB

My mom used to make salmon patties. Not my favorite. Salmon is still not my favored fish. I can eat it but prefer others.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mike_belben

Quote from: Texas Ranger on December 09, 2018, 10:10:08 PM
In thinking back, hunting and fishing was our poverty meal, just didn't know it at the time.
Thats why hillbillies are hard to kill.  Give em a .22 and a pocket full of essentials and they can get by for a long time out in the bush. 
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green

mike_belben

Theres not a lot of hank 1 2 or 3 songs i dont know.  My boys name is hank actually. Middle names waylon.   ;D
Praise The Lord

Joe Hillmann

Pinto beans with ketchup and maple syrup.  It is a meal on its own.  It can be made better with a side dish of corn bread, tortillas or rice.  It is fit for king if you add some hamburger or cut up hotdogs.

WV Sawmiller

On my last overseas assignment in Guinea in west Africa it was common to see what looked like a pot of pinto beans cooking over an open fire and the lady would be slicing open a local hoagie looking roll and filling it with the beans and selling them as sandwiches. I never tried them but they sure looked tasty.
Howard Green

thecfarm

My Grandmother would look forward to cold beans for a sandwich.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

I cannot say that I have gone hungry too often, and I could provide a picture to prove it.  My Grandfather used to eat ham and beans, fried bologna sandwiches, or cans of sardines growing up poor in the 20s and 30s.  He would put the beans over cornbread and eat so much everytime.  We would all just wait for him to complain that he ate too much and fall asleep in the recliner.  Good memories.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Raider Bill

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on December 12, 2018, 09:46:55 AM
  On my last overseas assignment in Guinea in west Africa it was common to see what looked like a pot of pinto beans cooking over an open fire and the lady would be slicing open a local hoagie looking roll and filling it with the beans and selling them as sandwiches. I never tried them but they sure looked tasty.
I like a good yankee bean sammy!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: thecfarm on December 12, 2018, 12:58:47 PM
My Grandmother would look forward to cold beans for a sandwich.
I've never had a bean sandwich, but pinto beans are best on their third or fourth day so I can see how the leftovers could be good on a sandwich.

Thank You Sponsors!