iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill shed size.

Started by wbrent, October 19, 2018, 01:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbrent

Just bought a new mill and will be setting up soon. Would like to build a lean- to on the side of my barn, but space is at a premium there. What is the minimum width do you think I could get away with. My track is 32" wide but the carriage, with handle included extends it to 79". The outer side of the shed  will be wide open so it can be pretty close to that side but Id still like it to be sheltered a bit from sideways rain and snow. Could I get away with less than 12' wide?

Lonely Sawer

I would think that would be enough room. Thinking of doing the same size myself. Just remember to leave enough room
 on the wall side for clean out of sawdust or walking room. Depending on the side you shoot is on.
Show pics when you done.
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

alan gage

I built a 12' lean-to off my open sided shed to store my sawmill under in the winter. I decided that was too narrow to mill under. Not that it couldn't be done but I want to be able to get at both sides of the mill with a skid loader. Twelve feet wide wouldn't be as bad if it were a stand-alone structure.

If I remember right my mill is about 6' wide. That only leaves 3' on either side in a 12' area.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Gary Davis

on my wood mizer I just keep the power head covered that way I stay mostly dry when its raining and out of the sun on hot days makes it easer to load and to clean up the roof over hang is about 10 ft wide

alanh

My lean to I built for the mill is 18`, not sure Id want much smaller, it needs to be in enough on the open side while still far enough from the wall to have some working room, every now and then you`re going to need to use your hook or a big bar to align a log.

Thank You Sponsors!