iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Will this boat trailer work for a utility trailer ?

Started by chainsaw_louie, September 27, 2011, 08:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

Hi,

Does anybody know about these boat trailers and converting them to utility trailers.
I just looked around and saw this one for $100,  it has 8" wheels,  is about 18' long. The owner said it held a 19' cuddy
cabin but the boat was too big for it. Im not sure what that sort of boat weighs but it must be 1500lbs at least.  

The dual axle setup is a plus, wondering  about weight capacity with those 8" tires, they seem kind of weak for
highway use.

Otherwise the trailer is nice, wide, flat and looks like it could be converted into a utility trailer without a lot
of work.  Should I keep looking for a single axle trailer with full sized wheels or is this better?

I want it to be compact but able to haul 600 - 1000 lbs of lumber or tools or even a log, wonder what pulling a 1200lb log over those rollers would do....

Thanks.

Tim

Vern

A friend of mine of mine gave me a boat something like your talking about. At first I did`t think much of it, so it sat for awhile.Then the more I looked at it the more I thought it could work. So I shorten the tongue by 7 feet and it is the only one I use now. I can put a ton on and it does alright.The bed is 13 feet long and 6 feet wide. the tongue is 5 feet long. I can move it around quite easily because it is balanced on the doulies.and yes it pretty easy to do with a stick welder and cutting torch.
vman

logboy

I have a small boat trailer I use to haul my 13' cedar log rolling log to the lake and back every day in the summer when I'm training.  I also hauled a few hundred pounds of lumber on it back in college. What you want to look for is the weight capacity of the axles. That will tell you what you want to know.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

JP135

I'm sure considering modifying a boat trailer to carry my mill. They're dirt cheap and a lightweight mill wouldn't come close to taxing the weight limits of the trailer.

Woodchuck53

How do the smaller dia. tires handle the hwy speed? I saw a lot of those type wheels on snow moble trailers up Mn. way and wonered that also. I would think a log or two would be heavier.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Brucer

Compare the size of those wheels to the fenders and the axle spacing -- don't they look a little small? Could someone have put smaller wheels on the trailer for some reason?

If you look around the frame, you may find a tag giving the net capacity of the trailer.

My brother has hauled a couple of thousand pounds of timbers on his boat trailer with no problem.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

terrifictimbersllc

If you don't find the tag on the trailer you might be able to i.d. the capacity from something on the axles.  agree with Brucer maybe it takes bigger tires. Those are probably 500# each max.  Either way you'll need to do something to get it registered   Unless you have really smooth regular logs those rollers will probably either not do much or get torn up, you might want to add hardwood boards as skids for pulling a log on. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Quote from: Brucer on September 29, 2011, 12:49:00 AM
Compare the size of those wheels to the fenders and the axle spacing -- don't they look a little small? Could someone have put smaller wheels on the trailer for some reason?

If you look around the frame, you may find a tag giving the net capacity of the trailer.

My brother has hauled a couple of thousand pounds of timbers on his boat trailer with no problem.

Right, I have a 6X12 utility trailer and there is a band (similar to a box-car seal) around the axle and all that's on it is the weight capacity, 3,500.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

scrout

I have a single axle trailer that looks similar and is good for about 1000 lbs.
Typical rating for the 1 inch spindles.

For $100 it is a no brainer.
You can always upgrade later, a tandem 7000lb axle setup can be had for $400.

http://abctrailerparts.com/3.5ktandemEBIDkit.html 

caveman

That trailer looks to me to be able to live up to your expectations as it is.  If I were going to be doing much high speed hauling, I would go to larger diameter wheels and tires.  The ones you currently have will turn about 300000000 revolutions per mile or so.  The bearings could get a workout with the little wheels.  $100 for that trailer is a good score.  Boat trailers are easy to convert to utility trailers.  Good luck. Caveman
Caveman

tyb525

The small wheels were probably added to reduce the overall height when the boat was on there. If you could fit bigger wheels, I'd do it, just for peace of mind.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Taylortractornut

Those trailers will handle alot with little tires.    Ive got a few I inherited from my grandfathers boat shop.   I remeber them hauling  21 foor Cris craft and Evinrude and Johnson fiberglass inboard boats  on them at highway speeds.  Im makeing a small dump trailer out of  one to pull on my leaf pick up runs for my composting when I dont need to use the  dump truck.
My overload permit starts after sunset

36 coupe

Those 8 inch tires have a low load rating.Their rpm on the road has got to be very high.The wheel bearings get water in them often.Small tires are used so the boat will float with out backing too far into the water.My trailer has the axle set close to the rear, ok for a boat but a load of boards would give you a very high tongue load.I never run over 45 pulling my boat and the actual milage is low per summer.All things to consider.

Thank You Sponsors!