iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 years and still waffling on Sawmill purchase

Started by dirtymartini, April 22, 2017, 05:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

I found this forum over two years ago after we bought an all wooded 20 acre parcel of land. I came close to pulling the trigger on a mill but haven't done it yet...shortly after we bought the property my wife was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and had to stop working. This slowed down our our plans...Our plan was to build a new home on this property and sell our existing home.

I won't bore you with the details but after two years we finally have another plan, we are going to contract out the house but I would still like to buy a mill and mill enough lumber to build a barn/garage/workshop. I have cleared a spot for the house and sold most of the wood for firewood, saving a few nice cherry logs with hopes of sawing them in to lumber. The property has a lot of very mature EWP, Larch and Hemlock.

Right now I am looking at the Norwood LM29, Woodland mills HM126, HM130 and the EZ Boardwalk Jr.  I'm not looking to make any money sawing, I just want this for building a garage/barn/workshop and milling my own lumber for projects. I do like the Norwood for it's ability to add on accessories in the future.

Any suggestions?

ladylake

Your getting older every day, time to get one.  Hydrauluics are nice.  The drive chain on my chain turner broke one day and I was just going to finish off turning by hand. I didn't even saw the first log before repairing it.  Steve

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

dirtymartini

Quote from: ladylake on April 22, 2017, 05:20:16 PM

Your getting older every day, time to get one.  Hydrauluics are nice.  The drive chain on my chain turner broke one day and I was just going to finish off turning by hand. I didn't even saw the first log before repairing it.  Steve

I agree, Hydraulics are nice but not in my budget right now.

dgdrls

Hi DM,

Suggest you test drive as many as you can before you purchase,
Used market can be your friend.

D

dirtymartini

Quote from: dgdrls on April 22, 2017, 06:23:58 PM
Hi DM,

Suggest you test drive as many as you can before you purchase,
Used market can be your friend.

D

Thanks, I have been searching Craigslist...from my location up through CNY and down into southern PA.

Ga Mtn Man

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

nativewolf

Quote from: paul case on April 22, 2017, 07:06:55 PM
Have you looked up sawmill exchange.com?

PC

Ditto- This is a great site, there are a few others but they have hundreds of equipment pieces allready in one place. 
Liking Walnut

WV Sawmiller

I hope you sealed the ends of those cherry logs really well as I find it bad to check. Good luck on your plans. Keep us informed what you land on.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dirtymartini

Darrel

Used gets my vote and so do hydraulics. Hydraulics were not in my budget either until I started looking at used mills. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

sawmilljoe

Woodlands 126 or 130 all the way. They are very well built and their customer service is great.

Magicman

It's hard to believe that I was 59 when I bought my used LT40SH through Sawmill Exchange in 2002.  It's purpose was to provide needed supplemental income and it has done just that.  I envisioned that I would saw and sell lumber plus custom saw, but after the first year I realized that my niche would be only portable custom sawing.  I passed One Million bf in 2012 and am now well on my way toward another.

I can not offer any recommendation as to what you should do, but in my instance, buying a sawmill was the correct decision.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red

Life Happens take care of the important  things.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Brucer

These days I've been passing on my sawing knowledge to a young guy (by my standards ;D) who is keen to buy his own mill. He'd already done his homework on sawmills before I met him and he decided on Norwood manual. His number one consideration was that the mill is designed to be upgraded, right up to full hydraulics.

He's been getting a little spoiled running my hydraulic LT40, but he's still convinced that he's made the right business choice. I was impressed by how much thought and planning he put into his decision.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

thecfarm

I say I looked for 20 years before I bought one. My Father and me would look at them and talk. He never saw me buy one. He would've enjoyed seeing the lumber being sawn. A little far for you,but Thomas Bandsaw Mill built here in Maine.
Sorry to hear about the wife. My wife has some issues too. We have only one overhead cabinet and one cabinet on the floor. All the rest are draws. Pull it out,look in to see what she needs. No more coming home to a bunch of stuff on the floor,because she can't get it back in. Three foot doors in all the room. Those have been tested by a wheel chair,many times. Easier to move furniture in too.  ;) And a walk in shower and a high commode makes things easier for her. The house has everything she needs on one floor. Yes the big freezer is in the basement,so is the root cellar,but I can get what she wants,if needed. A ramp is in the garage. Still have one step to get into the house.
Good luck to your wife and both of you with the build. And the sawmill. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

All things being equal, get the one with the strongest, welded, steel frame.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Cutting Edge

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on April 22, 2017, 06:51:30 PM
EZ Boardwalk Jr gets my vote.

Quote from: YellowHammer on April 23, 2017, 08:44:28 AM
All things being equal, get the one with the strongest, welded, steel frame.

EZ Boardwalk builds a darn fine machine.  Simple to operate and maintain and they have probably the most robust frame and head that I have seen.  Frame is heavy enough to add hydraulics to down the road.  Paul Case can shed more light on the hydraulics.

The EZ backstop/clamp combination is by far the best I have used and I have installed several sets on other brands of sawmills for customers frustrated with their factory clamp(s)

Most parts are non-proprietary and pretty much off the shelf.  And for the price ??  IMO, no other mill comes close when you compare build quality and features.

Best of luck as you move forward, regardless of what mill you decide to purchase.   ;)

"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

dirtymartini

I'll say this about Woodland Mills, they by far have the most informative videos. I just watched a video on the HM130...it was an hour and seven minutes!

plantman

I've spoken to a gent who owns a Woodland mills and he likes it very much but I've also heard very good things about the EZ Boardwalk. I would personally go with the EZ because it looks like it would last a lifetime and I wouldn't have to worry about bending the frame when I drop a 3000 lb log on it.

dirtymartini

Quote from: plantman on April 23, 2017, 09:26:13 PM
I've spoken to a gent who owns a Woodland mills and he likes it very much but I've also heard very good things about the EZ Boardwalk. I would personally go with the EZ because it looks like it would last a lifetime and I wouldn't have to worry about bending the frame when I drop a 3000 lb log on it.

I was just on EZ Boardwalk's website a minute ago. They do look well built. I might have to check into what the shipping charges would be...

Darrel

If I were to buy a new manual mill, it would be the EZ Boardwalk. Most likely the 40.
1992 LT40HD

schakey

Good morning dirty martini and everyone else  smiley_wavy. Been wanting a mill several years now, but life has a way of slowing dreams down, but you must keep the dream alive! Went and look at a used LT15 yesterday this might be the one or maybe not, going to call Woodmizer today to get some info.
This time next year we hope to be living on our land in West Virginia and will but a mill to good used.
Have a great day everybody  8)
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

dirtymartini

OK, I have narrowed it down to a choice between the EZ Boardwalk Jr and the Woodland Mills HM 130. Very close in price, log diameter capacity. 

plantman

Quote from: dirtymartini on April 23, 2017, 09:33:42 PM
Quote from: plantman on April 23, 2017, 09:26:13 PM

I was just on EZ Boardwalk's website a minute ago. They do look well built. I might have to check into what the shipping charges would be...

EZ boardwalk also has a interesting design in which the sawmill carriage is built at an angle so that the blade enters the wood on one side first and this actually helps to pull the sawmill through the log. I'm not sure what the actual benefit is but it looks interesting and as though it is a good idea.

dirtymartini

ChugiakTinkerer

That's a big boy!  It came down to cost for me, and to get to Alaska it was much cheaper to have the HM130 shipped than the EZ Boardwalk Jr.  The HM130 comes on a pallet (or more than one if ordering extensions) with some assembly required.  The EZ Jr is, I believe, pretty much ready to go.
Woodland Mills HM130

DanMc

Time to buy a mill.  Any mill that you can afford.  You'll learn 10,000 times more the first day than you ever will by looking. 

Just do it. 

Be bold.

Be brave. 

Buy the mill and go with what you get.  Even the wrong mill is better than no mill!!!!!!!

LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

btulloh

What he said.

I went through all that and waited much longer than I should have.  I bought one to fit my budget and purpose - very low price - and it all worked out.  If I needed to buy a bigger one, it would be easy to sell my HM126 and move up. What I've learned and the lumber I've produced more than make up for what I spent.  Go as big or small as you're comfortable with and don't look back.
HM126

plantman

I realize that these mills are quite a bit more expensive but have you ever looked at Mobile Dimension Sawmills or D&L Timber Technologies mills ? Both are manufactured out in your neck of the woods . The question you should be asking yourself is "Am I doing this as a part time hobby / business or am I going to work at this at least 3 days a week ?" Then figure out how much lumber you are going to produce with each type of mill. Swingblade mills saw huge amounts of dimensional lumber very quickly and save you a lot of money in blade sharpening costs.

opticsguy

Although I have not read about the models the original poster has expressed interest in I will jump in a little here.
First almost any sawmill can change your life, all depending on your motivation, interests and goals.
Not mentioned here are the Timberking mills. I am very impressed with the build quality of my TK1220, an all manual mill, but works perfectly for me. My goals are use as a hobbyist only and recently had to cut a whole lot of wood to build a building to put my wood in!!!   Go figure that one. However, I never have to buy wood for almost any project that comes to mind.
So, simply put, you get what you pay for and I got a very excellent mill with my Timberking.
TK 1220 band mill,  1952 Ford F-2, 1925 Dodge touring, too many telescopes.

dirtymartini

Quote from: opticsguy on May 15, 2017, 11:16:51 AM
Although I have not read about the models the original poster has expressed interest in I will jump in a little here.
First almost any sawmill can change your life, all depending on your motivation, interests and goals.
Not mentioned here are the Timberking mills. I am very impressed with the build quality of my TK1220, an all manual mill, but works perfectly for me. My goals are use as a hobbyist only and recently had to cut a whole lot of wood to build a building to put my wood in!!!   Go figure that one. However, I never have to buy wood for almost any project that comes to mind.
So, simply put, you get what you pay for and I got a very excellent mill with my Timberking.

I watched the videos on both of those mills...very nice but way out of my price range. I just got a voicemail from EZ Boardwalk, I need to call back for my quote.  Right now I am leaning towards the Woodland Mills HM 130...but I'll wait and see what the quote is on the EZ.

goku78

So what did you decide and how do you like it?  I'm in the same boat with the same choice as you were. I am about to buy the HM 130 but EZ is attracting my attention.  I like the idea of mobility. I need to find out how much shipping will be for an EZ JR.   
HM130

f350rd

dirtymartni, welcome to the big show. I have the EZ 40, they are built like a tank good solid steel all welded. All you have to do is screw in leveling screw set carriage on, fill with gas and start cutting. I have modified mine from day one. I have pic in my profile. Feel free to contact me if you have questions. All the mills mentioned are good mills buy what you budget will allow and start cutting wood. I compared mills for about a year before making my decision good luck on your adventure to the world of sawdust
EZ boardwalk 40 Modified, New Holland lx 865, cat e70b excavator, welding/machine shop, 1999 f350, 2011 f350,72" granberg chainsaw slabbing mill,
48" chainsaw mill

plantman

I spoke with someone who owned a Woodland mills sawmill and he liked it very much but he just used it as a hobby and for a small side business milling wood up to 10'. There are good videos on youtube of people who like the Woodland mills. It looks well engineered. But if it was me and I was going to drop a 5000 lb log on a mill I would want it to be built heavy. Everything about the EZ mill is heavy duty.

Quote from: goku78 on July 20, 2017, 10:36:23 PM
So what did you decide and how do you like it?  I'm in the same boat with the same choice as you were. I am about to buy the HM 130 but EZ is attracting my attention.  I like the idea of mobility. I need to find out how much shipping will be for an EZ JR.

kelLOGg

I waffled for 8 years and at 58 yo finally made my move and have been sawing since. Good luck with your decisions.

Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

fishfighter

I have the Woodland 126. If I were to buy another manual mill, it would be a Woodland 130. I am very happy with my 126. I saw for myself. I bought it to build with the lumber I saw. 95% of the logs come off my place. ;D

One thing, I do have support equipment to help me load and flip logs on the mill. Without support equipment, I don't think I would of sawed as much as I have done the past 2 1/2 years. :o

Just this past week I started using some of the first lumber I sawed for some cabinets. ;D

And yes, I even built a small house with the lumber that came off my mill. So I feel that my mill has done paid for itself a couple times over already. ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,82663.0.html

DanMc

When Martini-man finally goes out and gets a mill I think there should be some kind of celebration event to commemorate the day.   Somebody should give a public speech like Lincolns emancipation declaration. 
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

plantman

Ha ha very funny, but I think it was called 'emancipation proclamation'. That reminds me of a story I heard recently.  Lincoln's Gettysburg Address was a speech written to address a gathering at the dedication of Soldiers National Cemetery in Gettysburg. Ironically Lincoln was not supposed to be the star of the day. There was another speaker there by the name of Edward Everett who spoke for about 2 hours before Lincoln. Lincoln got up to the podium and in 2 minutes delivered a speech that is still  awed over by politician both American and foreign and it still has a strong emotional impact on all who read it today.

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate—we can not consecrate—we can not hallow—this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us—that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion—that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain—that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom—and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." - A. Lincoln

Quote from: DanMc on July 21, 2017, 06:20:37 PM
When Martini-man finally goes out and gets a mill I think there should be some kind of celebration event to commemorate the day.   Somebody should give a public speech like Lincolns emancipation declaration.

bandmiller2

Buying a sawmill is a lot like swimming on the Maine coast. If you stick your toe in the water you won't go in you have to jump in. Building several out buildings will pay for the mill in short order and after you could sell it if its not your cup of tea, betcha don't. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Downstream

i have owned the ez jr for about 18 months with honda 13 hp.  It has cut everything that I can fit on the mill and I do mostly live edge full width cut slabs.  I stayed away from the bolt together frames because with a manual mill you will be rolling/sliding/dropping logs on deck all the time and the all welded c-channel frame on the ez jr can handle with no problem.  Im not worried about it ever failing.   The entire sawmill can be picked up using the lug on top or I have a pallet jack that slips underneath and I can move it anywhere on my paved driveway which is nice for me since I have no tractor yet.  The angle blade does help pull mill into log as stated and if you angle the mill slightly downhill it takes some of the pushing force away. 

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

plantman

Sounds quite logical to me. Those oak logs weigh a ton, actually more .

Peter Drouin

That's a good idea with the pallet jack Downstream. smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Cedarman

My brother and I went to a forestry field day in 1983.  Mill was hooked to WM truck ready to head back to Indy because we got there late.  LT 30 manual.  That is all they had.  No other band mills out there.  Never sawed a board in my life.  Had a lot of land with timber.  Took about 2 hours of talk with brother.  Decided right then and there that we could use the mill to make money.  34 years later and look what has happened to us.  Bought brother out 2 years after we bought the mill.  If you can visualize the future, then you can make it happen.  I didn't say it was easy all those years.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

dirtymartini

Quote from: DanMc on July 21, 2017, 06:20:37 PM
When Martini-man finally goes out and gets a mill I think there should be some kind of celebration event to commemorate the day.   Somebody should give a public speech like Lincolns emancipation declaration.
Hold off on the speeches lol, I still haven't bought a mill. I know I just resurrected an old thread but somehow never saw this post. It really gave me a chuckle.  DanMC I expect your speech to be a dandy given all of time I've given you to prepare lol
Life has thrown me a couple of curve balls this past year but now I am back looking at the same two mills. I'm afraid I will have to sell a couple motorcycles to make it happen  :'(

samandothers

petefrom bearswamp

Well it is after all a hard decision.
Love your handle.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Darrel

Forget the sawmill!  Bring on the maple syrup & butter for the waffles! I'm hungry already! 

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D
1992 LT40HD

alan gage

Another echo for not overlooking used hydraulic mills. I was in the same boat last year and was expecting to end up with a manual mill for around $5k or less. Hydraulics completely blew the budget. I was also expecting to drive at least 7 hours to pick up a used mill (northern MN or MO). Someone said they knew someone who had a hydraulic mill in town that had been sitting in the weeds for a dozen years. Called the guy, took a look at it that afternoon, and bought it for $4000. Put another $2500 and some hours into it getting it fixed up and now I've got a portable and nearly full hydraulic mill (backstops and head up/down are manual). Very happy things worked out they way they did.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

SawyerTed

Just don't let the paralysis of indecision prevent you from following a dream.

Sometimes you have to make a decision and then make it right.  Sometimes you make the right decision to begin with.  Either way you've made a decision and moved forward.  Indecision means you are sitting still and losing ground.  I know life sometimes puts kinks in our plans, but once the kinks are worked out you gotta move forward.  Make the best educated decision on your mill and put it to work.

Five years ago, I never thought I would be semi-retired and sawing almost as much as I want to.  I'm sawing two to three days a week and would like to be consistently sawing 3 to 4 days a week.  There have been a couple of things that sidetracked me but I finally decided to jump into the unknown with both feet back in January.  I'm glad I did.  Had I known what I know now, I could have afforded more mill than I got.  But my decision is to work the heck out of the LT35 Hydraulic and put money in the bank for a bigger mill some day.

I believe in my case the hydraulics make the work easier less hard and therefore more enjoyable.  What I would have saved in sawmill purchase would have prevented me from using my mill as much as I do.  In other words, because I'm not killing myself handling logs, I have more energy to saw and my interest is as keen as ever.  Of course I'm sawing as a business and not strictly as a hobby or solely for fun.

YMMV
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

dirtymartini

Got a shipping quote from Stanton on a EZ Boardwalk Jr. $850 shipped to my location with trailer package and 5' extension. Ouch! Maybe I should check u-ship.com?

terrifictimbersllc

Getting a sawmill is a good thing. Waffle a bit but not too long.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

petefrom bearswamp

How far would you have to go to get the mill?
uship works but there are more fees than I realized.
I used it for a trailer I bought in Michigan and had planned to go myself to get it
thought it would be cheaper to use uship, but it turned out not to be so.
the young couple that brought it came with a beat up chevy blazer with non working 4wd and couldnt get up my snow covered driveway (3" of snow), so I had to bring it up my hilly driveway with my PU. Poor folks looked like they didnt have 2 nickles to rub together so my wife gave them a generous tip. they had 2 beautiful young daughters with them. Lesson learned.
Then he had to get under the hood to start the vehicle before they headed to eastern Mass with a large duck boat which was on the roof of the blazer.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

hunterbuild

Frist sawing I did was with a neighbor who was repairing a big hydraulic saw with bells and whistles. I wanted a saw so bad. I could wait and save forever or get something I could afford. I got a Harbor Fright saw for under $1700 delivered to my place. Yes I did have to do some self repairs and mods, but nothing major. I've been cutting for over three years now, its still plugging away. I put a 13 hp predator motor on it this spring. Its doing what ever I throw at it, so I guess I'll stick with it. I do have a skid steer, so hydraulics can be done with out. Its slow going, but so am I. 72 and still going.

dirtymartini

Stanton from EZ Boardwalk called back today with a lower quote from Fed-Ex freight, $650. That would make the EZ Boardwalk JR with trailer package and 5 foot bed extension around $5650 delivered to me.

The Woodland Mills HM130 Trekker XL would be around $6597 delivered. 

I have to say I do like the idea of the welded bed on the EZ Jr....and I won't have to spend hours assembling it. The only drawback I see is the 6-8 week wait for the mill to be built.

New sawyer

I agree , bite the bullet and buy one . I did . I ordered a Timber King 1400 . The shipping would have been $2500 to my home. Me ,my wife and son are driving  from CT to Kansas City to pick it up in August . Can't wait to saw some logs. 
Life is what you make of it. You own your own decisions.

SawyerTed

Quote from: dirtymartini on May 18, 2018, 08:41:12 PM
Stanton from EZ Boardwalk called back today with a lower quote from Fed-Ex freight, $650. That would make the EZ Boardwalk JR with trailer package and 5 foot bed extension around $5650 delivered to me.

I have to say I do like the idea of the welded bed on the EZ Jr....and I won't have to spend hours assembling it. The only drawback I see is the 6-8 week wait for the mill to be built.
As best as I can tell, you've waited 2 years plus, what's a couple more months to get what you want?
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

dirtymartini

Quote from: SawyerTed on May 18, 2018, 11:12:52 PM
Quote from: dirtymartini on May 18, 2018, 08:41:12 PM

As best as I can tell, you've waited 2 years plus, what's a couple more months to get what you want?
SawyerTed I think you are right...what's another couple months. I have been putting this off for way over two years. EZ Boardwalk Jr it will be.

Skipper11A

Make sure you get the log turner with the EZ.  The log turner would be my #1 add-on for the EZ Boardwalk.    I  like your decision to buy the trailer package and one extension, that's perfect.  I also recommend their blade sharpener with a diamond wheel, and Logrite cant hooks.  You won't regret any of these purchases.

After more thought, I would also recommend an electric starter for your engine so you can turn it on and off in between cuts.  You will save a lot of fuel as well as wear and tear on your engine.  I say this because you are buying a manual mill and I assume that you will be working alone so the majority of your time will be spent removing slabs, turning logs, etc., it is a waste to allow your engine to idle for such extended periods of time.

SawyerTed

I think you've made a good decision.  The EZ Boardwalk machines are fine machines and well built. 

Skipper has made some good suggestions.   When you order your mill go ahead and start your compliment of tools but don't overlook the safety gear - hearing protection for you and your helpers (to protect your hearing but also to reduce fatigue), eye protection and foot protection (I found some composite toe athletic type shoes) 

I had a topic on support tools about 5 months ago.  There was great advice on the things that are handy to have around the mill.

Darrel

EZ Boardwalk is a well built mill. I'm pretty sure that you're going to be happy. 
1992 LT40HD

terrifictimbersllc

If  When you stop waffling change the title of this thread.   :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

dirtymartini

Quote from: Skipper11A on May 20, 2018, 10:23:15 AM
Make sure you get the log turner with the EZ.  The log turner would be my #1 add-on for the EZ Boardwalk.    I  like your decision to buy the trailer package and one extension, that's perfect.  I also recommend their blade sharpener with a diamond wheel, and Logrite cant hooks.  You won't regret any of these purchases.

After more thought, I would also recommend an electric starter for your engine so you can turn it on and off in between cuts.  You will save a lot of fuel as well as wear and tear on your engine.  I say this because you are buying a manual mill and I assume that you will be working alone so the majority of your time will be spent removing slabs, turning logs, etc., it is a waste to allow your engine to idle for such extended periods of time.
Yes, I was definitely going to add the electric start. I wasn't sure about the log turner but now I'm giving it a second look.

petefrom bearswamp

As for footgear I got a pair of these mentioned shoes with the hard toe which are pretty comfortable, but I still manage to drop stuff on my instep once in a while.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!