TURBOSAWMILL GIANT SALE ON NOW UNTIL OCTOBER 31st

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Council Tool

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

Author Topic: 2 questions  (Read 702 times)

Offline Alberta Wolf

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
2 questions
« on: May 01, 2018, 02:27:31 AM »
question 1/  Is how much to charge for b.f in Alberta Canada.( no offence,But I hear prices to seem to be different  in the different provinces. 

question 2/  Is which is the best end of the log to start cutting at first e.g.; small end first or large end.

I don't notice the difference for I still adjust to speed and the hight also.Just checking to see.I know read my sawmill manual but it is pack away cause I'm moving from a acreage to a small farm of 3 quarters = 160 acres  per quarter ;) . And yes I'm going to make a cam lock for the LM 2000 and post on Norwood's Facebook page when I get it done.Hope soon cause it is drying out here.Seems like it flooding all around here  :D, Whitecourt   flooding southern Alberta places flooding the Saultuex river flooding along with the Ottawa river is flooding.Might have start designing a raft if things get worst :D . Just wondering.Thanks ahead of time.    

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
Re: 2 questions
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 07:53:40 AM »
   Q1 - Are you selling lumber or sawing customer lumber? If selling, what species? I'd check to see what others in the area are charging and try to be somewhat competitive but know your costs and be sure you are making an acceptable profit - don't let others drive you to bankruptcy. Saw better lumber than they do.

Q2 - Its mostly personal preference. I find it easier to level any taper if the small end is at the front of my mill plus the large end of a butt log is sometimes harder wood than at the top. If the log approaches the limits of your mill an advantage of starting at the big end is you know if the head passes it will make it the rest of the way and it is easier to determine how much to bibby off, if any, without worrying about backing out the entire length of a log. I normally saw the end that lands toward the head although I prefer to start at the small end. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Alberta Wolf

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 09:55:33 PM »
Thanks for the info WV Sawmiller.I guess it's going to be a little running around for price check and what the wood looks like.

Offline PAmizerman

• Just Another Day In Paradise!!
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 11:05:07 PM »
I like starting from the small end
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Traverse 6035 telehandler and a lot of back breaking work!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Questions

Started by Lko67 on Sawmills and Milling

8 Replies
Last post April 23, 2018, 07:07:43 PM
by Lko67
xx
OWB questions

Started by JB Husky on Firewood and Wood Heating

6 Replies
Last post December 02, 2016, 10:59:56 PM
by trapper