iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too much sawdust in my blood

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 18, 2019, 12:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

I haven't been sawing lately as I am currently in the hospital.
I had a very bad cold/flu and nasal congestion which traveled into my throat and down into my chest.
Very bad coughs and then shortness of breath.
On Monday the 14th I thought I was going to pass out just walking into the post office from the parking lot.
I went to urgent care near my home as I thought I may have pneumonia.
They took an x-ray and then a Cat scan.
Not pneumonia but that I had three blood clots in my lungs.
So off to hospital. :o

They have me on blood thinners now and I can't go home until my blood thins down.
I told my wife it's because I have too much sawdust in my veins.  ;D
Still have a bad cough and some congestion in my nose, but I am a lot better now than I was on Tuesday.
And I am getting better and stronger every day.
I just walked up and down my hall 6 times and I didn't get winded, like last weekend. 8)

I do plan on sawing more when I'm better but with the snow storm coming it may be a while. :o
I just thought I'd like you guys know what's happening with me.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Hilltop366

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun Jim, take care!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Hilltop366 on January 18, 2019, 12:21:09 PM
Doesn't sound like a lot of fun Jim, take care!
thanks i'm getting better every day.

samandothers

Glad to hear you are on the mend!  Saw dust in blood is ok.  However saw dust in your lungs.... not so much!   Take care 

Old Greenhorn

Sorry to hear you are under the weather (x 2). Be careful with them blood thinners and encourage your Docs to get you off them as soon as it is medically feasible. They can cause their own problems, but are perfect for what you have now, just keep a watchful eye.
 Get better soon!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Stephen1

Get better! I'm glad your on the mend!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Don P

Well that's not good, hope you get over it soon. Any idea what caused it?

Jim_Rogers

Roxie

I'm glad you went to urgent care when you did.  :o   Hope you heal quickly and get back home.
Say when

WV Sawmiller

Jim,

Good to hear from you. Get well soon but don't rush it and have a relapse.

My wife and I went to see an old neighbor in rehab today. He had 3 blood clots back in late October and has been in the hospital ever since. Then again he will be 100 y/o next May 8th so he my take a little longer to recover. At least he recognized us as soon as we walked in. I'm glad we went. Sorry we won't be able to bring you bowl of hot grits and butter soon. I am sure that would get you on the mend right away.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Jim,

I know what you're going through. I had a bad case of bilateral (as in both sides) pulmonary embolisms just after Thanksgiving last year. I spent four days in hospital. When I got admitted, I couldn't walk ten steps w/o being totally out of breath. First they put me on heparin and then after three days of that they moved me to Eliquis which is the blood thinner they've got me on. The first two and a half days they wouldn't let me have any activity, couldn't even get out of bed to use the bathroom. They were afraid movement would cause one of the clots to break free and either go to my heart and cause a heart attack or go to my brains (what little I have left...) and cause a stroke... I'm much better now but they tell me I need to stay on the Eliquis for at least six months. If at end of that time I haven't had any more problems with clots then they'll try taking me off the thinner. If I have another bout of clotting issues either before or after the six months it'll mean I have to stay on it the rest of my life.

What thinner are they using on you?  Some of them can be a real pain, this one (Eliquis) is pretty good.

Hope they get you cleared up enough to send you home soon.  It takes months for the body to heal itself, reabsorbing the clot and clearing your lungs.

Praying for your recovery.

Herb

Jim_Rogers

Herb:
I'm on coumadin and most likely for 6 months.
Jim

Peter Drouin

Get well, my friend. I will pray for you.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

Take care Jim. Glad you are on the mend.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Old Greenhorn

In my not too distant EMS days I had a lot of patients who declared coumadin as their blood thinner and it always gave me pause to re-access my findings, treatment, and transport decision. Coumadin is the go-to thinner for major issues because it works so well, however it must be monitored carefully for the right dosage. You can expect weekly blood tests when you are discharged to make sure the levels are correct and not too much or too little. It's great stuff, but be sure to talk to your physician when you are discharged about 'considerations' you should have while on this medication. I am not trying to scare or concern you, quite the opposite. Just like a good power tool with a specific use, that tool requires some respect. This med is no different. My Mom was on it for a long time and I was her primary caretaker. Anytime she got an ingrown toenail she tried to cut out, stubbed her toe or got a paper cut, I got a phone call because the bleeding would not stop. I got dang good at wound care between her and my Dad with some other issues.
 The point here is you need to be careful, being the working guy you are. We tend not to think much about small nicks and cuts. But with coumadin in the picture it is a whole different picture. My Dad used to call and say "can you come over, she's bleeding like a stuck pig again." It was NEVER a big deal and we never transported her to the hospital for bleeding, I was always able to manage the bleeding with patience and proper care, but it was very upsetting to my folks. Even for a younger person such as yourself, this can be disconcerting if not understood. So I throw it out there for you to have this conversation with your Doctor to understand what this med means for you. That's all.
 I am sure they will get you off this as soon as your condition clears and they can work it down. You are a tough working guy who will probably get this beat faster than they expect. My Chiropractor said to me this evening "Wow, that was a pretty severe injury and you recovered REALLY fast!" I said "Doc, I have been practicing recovering from back injuries all of my adult life." I am guessing you are pretty much the same.
 Keep us posted man.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Coumadin is widely used and has been for a long time. It carries a "high risk" of bleeding and is "reversible" by giving the patient another drug and vitamin K... It requires frequent testing to monitor it's effects...

Hopefully it will work well for you and you won't have any significant problems with it.

Praying for you continued recovery.

Herb

Chuck White

Hope you get well soon, Jim!

You seem to be in good hands now, don't rush it!

I take Coumadin every day and have since I was diagnosed with AFIB back in 2005!

I have to go in for a blood test to see what my INR level is, supposed to be between 1 and 3, if it's lower or higher, then they adjust the dosage! 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

My prayer is for your full recovery Jim.  Be sure to always wear those Christmas Gloves.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Thanks to everyone for all your advice, prayers and comments.
I will prepare an "injury" kit if a get a cut or scrap while sawing.
The hospital here, has a clinic where they will be doing my blood tests every week while I'm on it.

The last two days my INR was 1.1 and it has to be more than two. Today's was 1.5 so it's going up.

Scheduled to go home on Monday.

Jim Rogers

Ed_K

Jim, did you have any sharp pains in your chest? I ask because the medication I'm taking for my cancer, they said it can cause blood clots and to watch for sharp pain or a feeling of heat in my legs or arms.
 I pray you get better soon. Saw dust in the blood is good right?
Ed K

Lko67

Praying for a speedy recovery and good health

Bruno of NH

Jim
I was on the Coumadin for one year and becarefull about getting cut.
It was very hard to stop the bleeding. 
I begged to get off it.
I had bilateral full blockage.
They wanted me on it for life .
You have to watch what you eat.
Some things effect it.
I couldn't get on anything different because of my weight.
That's one of the reasons I can't find anyone to put in my new knees. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Bruno of NH

They worry about me getting a blockage again.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Roxie

Say when

stanwelch

Jim,  sorry that you are having health problems. Praying that you have a swift and complete recovery. 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Thank You Sponsors!