iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pellet smoker grill

Started by DMcCoy, July 08, 2018, 08:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DMcCoy

So I gave up on building my block pusher BBQ grill.  Time, just never enough.  Bought a Cabela's pellet smoker grill.  It looked like the most features for the $$.  Have used it for over a year now.
It is hands down the pizza oven I have ever used.  It does a great job with pizza!

I read a lot of complaints about temperature fluctuation.  It's wood, not gas or electric.  It works fine and cooks food like a champ.

My problem and I don't think it has to do at all with the smoker is the lack of smokey flavor.  Tried 2 different brands of pellets, 3 different types,  and it's all the same.  Tried 3 hrs on chicken thighs and 5 hrs for a spatchcock chicken, 2 hrs on country style pork ribs and 2 hrs on steak.  No smoke flavor that I can taste.

I removed the little smoke vent hood and closed it down, smoke billows out the gaps on the lid.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

Deere80

I have the Pit Boss and get all kinds of smoke flavor, sometimes to much if I cook at low temps. 
Wood-Mizer LT40WIDE 38HP

DPatton

I have a Green Mountain pellet grill that my best half got me for Christmas last year. (did I ever mention she's been a pretty decent first wife ;D ;D ;D)? 
  Anyway it has been a bit of a learning curve to cook on it over the gas or charcoal grills I have always used in the past. My wife and kids really like the flavor of meats and veggies off of it but to get a good hardy smoke you have to cook low and slow.
 I've found that the level of smoke really goes down at higher temps. If your burning your grill at higher temps (say above 215) your burning the wood pellets too fast and getting less smoke effect in the meat. But that doesn't sound like your problem with those cook times. I would suggest maybe trying a different brand of pellets or possibly different species of wood smoking pellets until you find one that gives you the flavor your looking for. 
 You might also check your manual or online for additional suggestions on the grills performance.

Good luck,

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!