iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bridge Deck ??

Started by wannabeonetoo, August 27, 2010, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabeonetoo

Not to sure if this is the correct place to ask but here goes......... I just put a small ATV/FOOT bridge across a little river (thats what it is designated  :D) ,approx. 40 ft. I now need to put a deck on it , what wood could I use ? I have plenty of EWC on my property.
The "bridge" consists of two cribs built out of RR. ties filled with fieldstone spanned with old utility poles.
Do any of you guys have pics of similar structures ??

Steve

paul case

here in oklahoma and sw missouri the choice would be oak. we have a lot of it and it gets hard and lasts quite a while out in the weather .  is ewc rot resistant? pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Chuck White

I agree with Paul, White Cedar is rot resistant!

It is also quite soft, so, if I were going to use EWC, I'd saw it at 8/4x6 or 8.

Some ATV's are quite agressive on the terrain, so you want to keep an eye on the condition of the bridge planks!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I use 8/4 White Oak for my bridge decking.

2" White Oak bridge decking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wannabeonetoo

Thanks guys, white oak would be great,however it is not very common here. Looks like cedar it will be 2" thick.

Steve

backwoods sawyer

I have milled out a bridge package for a 70' ATV bridge and everything was milled at 3"x 12" 10"x 10". (White Oak)
This last week I milled out another bridge package which consisted of sixty 8"x 14"x 12' and twenty 3"x 12"x 20' It was milled out of Doug fir and was shipped out to be pressure treated.
The down side to cedar is that it is soft and if you use the bridge a lot, the wood will wear. Nevertheless, if that is what you got then that is what you got. Mill out a few extra pieces so that you have some on hand if you need to replace any and enjoy your new bridge. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Quote from: wannabeonetoo on August 28, 2010, 09:07:02 AM
Looks like cedar it will be 2" thick. 

You are going to be OK for a foot/ATV bridge.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

White cedar is fine you could always make the deck a little thicker and leave a little space between planks for drainage.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!