iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

104 Degrees, Hottest Day of the Year, and............

Started by WDH, August 08, 2007, 08:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

You guessed it.........  My air conditioner went out :-\.  The temperature in Warner Robins, the nearest weather station, recorded 104 degrees.  There has been no rain for weeks, my garden has burned completely up, and now, a mechanical challenge decides to take root.

At least it was cool at the Pig Roast ::).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Yep, it was wicked hot here too.  The local weatherguesser said the heat index was 114.  I just came in from the shop and it was still 90 degrees in there at 8:30, and that was with the fans running!

I went up and spent part of the afternoon with Mr. Hootie and the gang.  His nephew, Danny was there, as was his lovely Wife, Miss Bonnie and his youngest Grandson, Jim. We had a great time sitting under the air conditioner and talking about electric motors and phase converters and Grandkids and last week's auction and next week's auction and rockin' chairs and a bunch of other stuff.  Me and Danny and Jim went out to explore the electric motor pile, but decided it was too DanG hot for sensible people to be out and about, so we went back to the office.

I feel for ya with yer air conditioner out and all that.  That's gotta be miserable.  Our old window units are taxed to the max, but it is a lot better in here than out there.  This heat is supposed to break by the weekend.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Mooseherder

What a time for no AC. I feel for you. Ours is runnin 24hrs constant. Just came in from my hour window to get stuff done so I don't keel over from heat stoke. Shirt is soaking wet and it didn't take much effort.

Dave Shepard

Anything over 70 is a heat wave, far as I'm concerned. I wish I could hibernate this time of year and wake up when it's cool enough to do something.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

rebocardo

Yep, our sun flowers aren't flowering anymore, even with water. I think they have had it.

Mooseherder

I talked with My sister and BIL a little while ago from Northern Maine.
It is gonna be 47 degrees there by morning. ::) :P 8)

sawguy21

How did anyone live in the south east or the west before a/c? Man, 114 is bad enough then throw in your humidity. YIKES. It's funny, here it is in the mid 20's C and the locals are yipping about the heat. I think it's great, a LOT better than -20C. I've had enough of that.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

PineNut

Good luck on getting that A/C repaired WDH. I have a Carrier and it goes out about every two years. Same problem every time (one of those unnecessary electronic modules) and it takes from three to six WEEKS to get parts for it. I have installed a backup A/C because of problems like this.

Radar67

I talked to an old fellow standing in a line one day. He said he never had AC and never had a problem with the heat. I got to thinking about this and figured if you never had it, you wouldn't miss it. The body self acclimates to its surroundings was my conclusion.

Danny, pack up the family and come on over, our AC still works and we are a few degrees cooler than over there.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

scsmith42

WDH - I can relate.... Like you, we were over 100 yesterday with 70%+ humidity.

Yesterday afternoon, around 3, an incredibly loud noise started emanating from my attic.  The wife thought that it was the washing machine downstairs, but I knew better.

Yup - it was so hot that the frame on the attic fan warped and the blade started hitting the sides of the frame.  

At first I figured that I'd put it off until it cooled down, but then started worrying about a potential fire hazzard.  So, up into the attic I went...

Must have been 140 or better up there, and I thought that entering my kiln was bad!

The good news was that I was able to shim the fan and get out of there in less than 10 minutes.  

I think that I had it better than you though.  My AC went out about 6 weeks ago on the saturday before Fathers Day.  It was only in the low 90's then.  About 3 in the morning I finally figured out what was wrong, and started removing parts.  Thank goodness Graingers has the "after hours and weekend service" - got some parts and had it back running by mid morning.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dodgy Loner

Been 100+ in Athens for the past two days.  I was spoiled in Michigan for 3 days.  At least it'll be 60 degrees here in December while they're buried in 6 feet of snow ;D.

Which A/C went out, house or car?  At least you can roll the windows down in your car.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

DanG

I think it was the house, DL.  I notice that WDH is offline, so they're probably out riding around in the car. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Lanier_Lurker

WDH, I'm right there with you.  The AC in my car crapped out.

Driving in stop and go afternoon Atlanta traffic in this heat with no AC will really test one's patience.....  smiley_furious3

Rolled down windows don't do much when you are going 5-10 mph.   >:(

pigman

104    and I am heading down that way this weekend. It was only 102 here today.  ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WDH

With 115 heat index, it is hard to remember when it was hotter.  We got the house all bottled up and the ceiling fans running full tilt, so we are coping.  I had to cut the computer off because it generates a lot of heat :-\.

Terry, school started this week.  Otherwise, we might be making full tilt toward Collins. 

It seems that this summer is going to end up with a dry hot bang.  Well, I am headed to Texas next week, so I am sure it will be raining cats and Texas Rangers.

Pigman, I don't envy you moving furniture in this weather.  The good thing is is (!!) that the Dodgy Loner is nearby and he can step in if you fall out from the heat ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Corley5

I'll take 6' of snow and negative temps over that kind of heat anyday.  In fact I'm ready for frosty mornings after all the upper 80s and low 90s temps we've had this summer.  When it's 10 degrees with a wind driven lake effect snow in January I never wish for 90 and sun. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WDH

Thanks Corley,

Thinking of that cooled me off a little ::).

Radar67

Quote from: WDH on August 08, 2007, 11:18:32 PM
Terry, school started this week.  Otherwise, we might be making full tilt toward Collins.

Well we got school over here too,  ;) we got outta them backwoods a few years back.  :D :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Corley5

We're "downstate" near Imlay City right now and it was pretty DanG hot here today.  We were at the Eastern Mi Fair and it was 90 in a JD skidsteer I was checking out but the humidity made it seem a bunch hotter.  My brother and sister in law were with us and were in a hurry and Doug had a black t-shirt on  ::)  I told my father in law and he agreed that they were gonna burn out the way they were moving.  They did less than 2/3s through the midway they left saying their kids were too hot.  Their kids were doing fine, Zach was fine and another cousin wasn't any the worse for wear.  It was the parents that over did it.  We stayed, drank lots of fluids, took our time, covered the whole thing and enjoyed ourselves.  
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Modat22

I picked the wrong time of the year to build a new wood working shop.... ::)
remember man that thy are dust.

pappy

Like Corley5 I'll stay with the great white north any day ;)

Hey mooseherder check out htis weather report fer da county  8)  8)  8) 

Northern Maine Weather Forecast

Issued: Thursday, August 9, 2007 450 am EDT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Weather Forecast Discussion:

A sunny and windy day is on tap for northern Maine today with high temperatures in the low to mid 70s. North to Northwest winds will blow at speeds of 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 to 35 mph. These windy conditions will blow around dirt and other particles and allergons causing anyone with allergy problems to suffer more than usual today. On Friday, high pressure will provide a partly to mostly sunny day to northern Maine with high temperatures in the upper 70s to low 80s. On Saturday, expect partly sunny skies with high temperatures in the upper 70s to low 80s. Partly sunny skies are forecasted to continue on Sunday with high temperatures in the low 80s.
Weather Forecast:

Today: Sunny. Highs 72 to 75 Degrees. Winds North to Northwest 15 to 20 mph with gusts to 30 to 35 mph.
Tonight: Clear. Lows 45 to 50 Degrees. Winds Northwest around 5 mph before midnight and Light and Variable after midnight.
Friday: Mostly sunny in the morning, then partly sunny in the afternoon. Highs 77 to 82 Degrees. Winds West around 5 mph in the morning and West to Southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Friday night: A mix of clouds and stars. Lows 50 to 55 Degrees. Winds Light and Variable.
Saturday: Partly sunny. Highs 79 to 83 Degrees. Winds Light and Variable in the morning and Northwest 7 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday night: Partly cloudy. Lows near 55 Degrees.
Sunday: Partly sunny. Highs near 81 Degrees.
The next weather forecast will be issued by 7 am Friday.

FF menbers welcome to tent or park a camper outback in the field to escape da heat,,, No Charge  :)

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

WDH

Forecast here today......

Today Dangerously hot under hazy, partly cloudy skies. Highs in the low 100's with heat indicies near 115. Isolated storm possible.

No relief.......

tcsmpsi

Next week, huh.   

Don't look at the forecast, then.   You won't want to come.   You would be pleased to stay there, where it's nice and pleasant. 
                                              :D

Yeah, I'm back.  And...I didn't even shoot not narry one real, live human type person.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

TexasTimbers

It's still downright tolerable right now. 96 so says the mercury. Not supposed to get over 100 until Friday. There is only a very slight breeze right now, which is rare on my little hill as it is usually nice and breezy, so I do break into a sweat. Then, when I am working in front of the fan which is running full tilt, I get a chill that is just nearly too much to take.
No complaints from me at all. My feet are loving this heat! 8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

flip

Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Thank You Sponsors!