iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manzanita Burles

Started by Left Coast Chris, November 24, 2007, 12:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

My son and I cut some Manzinita burles today.   Not sure if they grow back east.  They are a woody bush that can get head height or slightly over out here.  Very hard wood with a nice red color.  We cut some block wood for bowls and some slabs for clocks and boxes.  A couple were big enough for end table tops at around 24" diameter which is very large for a Manzanita Burl.   We are keeping our fingers crossed for drying.  At least we are cutting at the right time of year.

Here are a couple of pics.... 8) 8)

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Don K

That is a funky looking knot but it sure is pretty on the inside. ;D

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Ron Wenrich

Manzanita doesn't grow here in the East.  But, I do remember them when I worked out in Oregon, especially around Medford.  They seemed like they were more in the 30'+ range.  I also remember a few West Coast millers refer to it as cherry. 

Anyways, that's a good find.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

thecfarm

Very interesting grain going on there.I take it you sell these? Good luck with drying them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Left Coast Chris

So far we are not selling them.  Maybe some time in the future.  We just use them as hobby wood although this time we ended up with a whole pick-up load so who knows.  The one shown on the mill prior to cutting we cut into block wood and some clock slabs.  The round cut piece came from a more uniform piece not shown.  It is really beautiful when finished but where there are defects it can break pretty eaisly.  I usually duct tape the outside of bowls prior to removing the inside wood so they don't explode on the lathe.  Good gifts for the hollidays and I get to avoid shoping  :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

treecyclers

Manzanita burls are highly prized in AZ, and tough as granite to find in this area.
I find a handful a year, and it's usually when I am working with an excavation company using a dozer.
They seem to be primarily in the root ball here, and when I do find them, they sell REALLY fast.
SUperdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

Left Coast Chris

Superdave,

I have noticed that the burles form mostly in rocky soil and the more uniform ones are at higher elevations.

How did you sell your burles........... whole or sliced?   and....... what did you ask for them?

treecyclers

To answer your question, it depends.
Size, shape, quality (based on how it looks), and other factors determine how I sell them.
Being that they're so tough to find, and the really good ones are super rare, I get between $6 per pound to $20 per pound.
I have some gents that have a standing order with me for local stuff, as I am one only one presently that's willing to hunt for them.
Superdave
I wake up in the morning, and hear the trees calling for me...come make us into lumber!

RynSmith

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 24, 2007, 06:59:35 AM
They seemed like they were more in the 30'+ range.  I also remember a few West Coast millers refer to it as cherry. 

Wonder if you're thinking of madrone, Ron?  Same family different genus.

solodan

There are lots of different species of Manzanita, I may not have seen any quite 30' but lots 20'.  Some species only grow a few inches tall, but others can get pretty big. I have seen some trunks well over 12" diameter. I have even cut planks before.  Very very hard wood, very hard to dry without checking.  I like to use the branches for drawer and door pulls. Also makes great wood for smoking.  I think Madrone is a cool looking tree, but the color of the wood is not as red  as Manzanita, some of it is almost purple. I have never heard of it being called Cherry, the only thing I have ever heard called Cherry was Cherry. :) The berries of Manzanita taste and look like little apples, and in Spanish Manzanita means "little apple". :)

Left Coast Chris

Interesting Solodan,  I have seen many different sizes of manzanita but I always assumed the size depended on the soil, elevation and climate.   Now that you mention it though different species makes sense.   These were about head height and generally the base of the trunks were about 6" diameter at the very largest.  The burles ranged from say 9" to 24" and were more irregular than I have seen in the past.   Only found the one that was large and round but was somewhat flat profile....... the one shown in the pic sawn.  One problem with these are that there are some rocks in grown into the wood.   I did rock a blade and I only sawed four of about 20 burles.  I could be in for a few rocked blades.   They are so beautiful its hard not to take the risk of loosing a couple of blades.   I use my most worn blades anyway knowing the rocks are a risk. ::)

Did you have any technique that reduced the drying problems? :P

solodan

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on November 28, 2007, 01:41:12 AM

Did you have any technique that reduced the drying problems? :P

Yes, I cut very short planks from some of the dead wood. Even though it is silver on the ouside the wood is still very red inside.  The dead wood is already dry, and checked,  so I just cut around the checks.  :)

jpgreen

I've got big old growth manzanita here but defintely no burls. Some branches near 8".

Got to see Chris's burls last night and woa-...those are awesome..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Thank You Sponsors!