iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You GOT to be kidding me

Started by EZ, November 30, 2004, 04:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ

Deer gun season came in monday and I been taking my muzzle loader out cause of the long shots it will get.
Yesterday all I seen was does, so I didnt get to fire it. I came back to the house and unscrewed the breach plug and took the power out and bullet. Today I race home after work, got dressed and loaded the muzzle loader and went out to my favorite place. Right on my left side came out a really nice 8 point, I pulled and fired and pop. :o DanG, miss fired, the deer never moved. I put another cap on and fire again,pop, the deer walk off. ::) This gun has never misfired, never. I walk back up to the house and tried it again, pop. I took the plug out and pushed out a bullet, powder, and another bullet. :o Here yesterday I forgot to push the bullet out. What a bite in the butt. ::) :D
EZ

Buzz-sawyer

If you think about it , if the spark had ignited powder residue it could of caused a nasty misfire...maybe you were blessed?!? ;)
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

BOWS don't misfire ;) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

Oh yes they can!  Our mechanic was using an overdraw and the short carbon arrow fell out of the rest at full draw leaving the arrow pointing at the inside of his wrist. Luckily he was target shooting and his young son was there to flip the arrow away. He said that he had almost lost the strength to hold it back. it had lodged so he could not shake it out.

Another example is having a recurve turn inside out on you at draw. Not pretty. A slightly warped limb can cause that, and that usually occurs from leaving a recurve strung.  

I have been bow hunting since I was 12 (before the compounds) and shooting since I was 3 or 4. Seen a lot of strange stuff over the years. Dad was bow hunting in the 1940's when there probably wasn't a hundred other archers in the state.  Have I ever told the story of losing an arrow by shooting it up in the air using my feet against the bow? :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Furby

Don't know if ya have ever told it, but I've never heard it.
Unless of course.................that was just it. ::)

etat

Yeah, can't beleive you'd just keep us hanging like that!  Now you done went and got us all waiting for the rest of the story!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

WV_hillbilly

It happens to the best of  us EZ .  ;D Hopefully it was a learning experience . That is why I have a ring around the ramrod . So I know that everything is in the right place .   Get that gun loaded again and go get ' em .
Hillbilly

Timber_Framer

I thinking along the same lines as Buzz, I'm glad for you it didn't fire :o
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Ron Scott

Ditto! Also a good idea to place a mark on the ram rod to check the load in the barrel.

I've also had my first bow "misfire" during this years bow season. While drawing back on a 4 point buck my "pro-hunter" release let loose from the string while at about half draw. The arrow was slung prematurely off in a wild direction from the deer and as he heard it, he just trotted off.

I've never had this happen before, but a learning experience and in favor of the deer. The only thing I can figure is that I didn't have the release securely on the string while drawing back.
~Ron

Timber_Framer

Oh, so that's what that notch on my ram rod is for ;D I honestly had forgotten I had out one there. When I first got my .54 I shot it quite often, but after moving to Cook County I sort of forgot about the rifle. There is no black powder season here...it's too much competition for the wolves I guess ::)
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Buzz-sawyer

Timber
I guess you do have some wolves! I just looked at your location....what is the general "Feeling" in your area bout wolves..........regarding live stock?
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Timber_Framer

What Livestock? ;D

There are no sheep people up here that's for sure, there are a few beef cattle folks and they bring the heifers in close near calving time, and most of them have donkeys or llamas that run with the herd, I guess they're hell on wolves. Either way when that donkey starts brayen' that gives you time to grab a weapon.
There are at least four horse loggers I know in Cook County but what wolf wants to mess with Clydesdales, Belgians or an 18 hand Welsh?

Brad_S.

I've studied a lot of Civil War history. Often times in the heat of battle a soldier would be so excited he would forget to cap the gun or put the ball in before the powder. With all the noise and comotion, it was hard to tell if the gun went off (or didn't). Thinking it had, they would reload. They say many rifles were found stuffed almost to the muzzle with ball, powder, ball, powder etc. :o
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Timber_Framer

I'm not surprised.
If I were in that horrible war I may have tried to stuff myself down that barrel

Thank You Sponsors!